[Food] Fake street food coming to you real soon!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
5 minutes round the corner to Tachbrook Street near the Cask for a small hidden selection of street food and market at much beter value.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

And Cask is a brilliant pub. Thanks for this tip.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Whelks are frozen, and collected by a large lorry once a fortnight from Shoreham, destination the Far East. Shoreham is also the top Scallop fishing port in the country, but we don't seem to take much pride in either. If a fraction of the brainpower currently deployed to come up with interesting meat alternatives, went into getting local people interested in eating/cooking with Whelks, we would all be in a better place.

I never knew a lot of scallops were brought in at Shoreham. How often do you see scallops on local restaurant menus or for that matter in fishmonger's?

The beach bars should be proudly advertising Shoreham scallops each summer. Part of the reason they're not might be the price. British consumers seem more reluctant to pay as much for food as their foreign counterparts. No such excuse with whelks though as they're cheap as chips.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Of course I feel entitled He was the customer he can spend his money anywhere It was also pelting it down If a small business wants to be a success Then it has to be customer focused Anyway he went and spent his money at buger brothers Where I suspect he will become a regular

Burger Brothers is outstanding but, unfortunately for your son, they have a somewhat cavalier view of their opening hours. They don't open until 12, and regularly go on holiday with little notice. Yet I don't blink an eye if I turn up and they're closed for the simple fact that their burgers have only one rival in the city, and that's Troll Burger.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Burger Brothers is outstanding but, unfortunately for your son, they have a somewhat cavalier view of their opening hours. They don't open until 12, and regularly go on holiday with little notice. Yet I don't blink an eye if I turn up and they're closed for the simple fact that their burgers have only one rival in the city, and that's Troll Burger.

Surely if his son bangs on the door at 11.58 they'll open specially for him and whip up a burger.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He opened a burger van in a town full of burger vans. It was always gonna be a struggle. I really like his food and still occasionally get a burger if I’m in the locale but for ages I didn’t know where he was operating from. Why? Because I deleted him from all social media as the sheer volume of posts and pictures and bombarding of his product just pissed me off. Every third notification was him banging on about his bloody burgers. They’re nice. We get it.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I think anyone who puts up with long unsociable hours and financial uncertainty of maintaining their own business , yet still retains enthusiasm, creativity and a keen eye on provenance deserves respect and is entitled to their opinion.
As regards street food, wasn't it ever thus? Innovation comes from the margins, moves to the mainstream and then the venture capitalists and ad men get involved. Plus ca change, innit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course I feel entitled He was the customer he can spend his money anywhere It was also pelting it down If a small business wants to be a success Then it has to be customer focused Anyway he went and spent his money at buger brothers Where I suspect he will become a regular

One can only imagine how it will kick off at Burger Bros when [MENTION=3300]macky[/MENTION] junior bowls up to discover they’ve pissed off to Benidorm at short notice :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyway. Reckon I’ll head straight to The Evening Star Saturday mid-afternoon for a celebratory pint or two and a victory burger! Who’s in?

macky

Dec 28, 2004
He would not bang on the door He's not rude But when the door is open he would go in out of the rain
And would I guess get spoken to in a civil manner Like I said plenty of places for him to spend his money

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He would not bang on the door He's not rude But when the door is open he would go in out of the rain
And would I guess get spoken to in a civil manner Like I said plenty of places for him to spend his money

.....and then demand his burger even if the staff might not be ready?

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Like [MENTION=292]thedonkeycentrehalf[/MENTION] I have visited, known about and followed Troll from his very early days in that wood place behind what is now Brewdog. He’s always been a decent person towards me. I was in the exact same scenario as your son a few weeks ago, when he had a limited edition ox heart burger; I arrived a few minutes early to avoid disappointment as he only had 13 patty’s and I wanted one. I asked if he was open, he said not yet, I sat and waited and pissed around with my phone. Would it have “hurt him to throw a burger on?” Who knows. Did it matter he didn’t explain why I had to wait? Not at all. Maybe your son caught him on a bad day....but I have a suspicion your son’s attitude played a huge part in all of this.

overall he seems a decent and honest person to me.
My son is not rude Far from it
Anyway you still have not answered me Have you ever run a small business If you had you would know It's not a clever thing to take out your bad days on customers I will repeat the man has a lot of competition Neither I or my son wish the man bad But if his burgers are as good as you say You have to ask yourself why he's still selling fron a garden shed after 8 years

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I may very well join you for a beer.

Please do. The Frau is in town as well, we will be around for a couple of hours post match. I’ll message you nearer the time with our exact movements.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’m not sure money is his chief motivator. Angry? He is combative on social media as he drives a food and political based agenda.... is this what you mean?

“Working class people selling simple, nutritious and innovative dishes to other working class people at affordable prices, meanwhile promoting a local and sustainable ethos.”

Question, are his burgers more expensive than the dude in Churchill Square? £3 iirc btw

“Whilst I’m lucky and grateful to have the pitch at Evening Star I’m still having to rely on hype and extravagance in order to be profitable. My forays into simple, affordable and healthy food simply haven’t drawn in the crowds. “

If he wants to be profitable then he is in it for the money surely?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Working class people selling simple, nutritious and innovative dishes to other working class people at affordable prices, meanwhile promoting a local and sustainable ethos.”

Question, are his burgers more expensive than the dude in Churchill Square? £3 iirc btw

“Whilst I’m lucky and grateful to have the pitch at Evening Star I’m still having to rely on hype and extravagance in order to be profitable. My forays into simple, affordable and healthy food simply haven’t drawn in the crowds. “

If he wants to be profitable then he is in it for the money surely?

I’m sure he wants to be profitable as this enables him to continue doing something he has a passion for. But this does not necessarily mean this is his primary single objective.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think anyone who puts up with long unsociable hours and financial uncertainty of maintaining their own business , yet still retains enthusiasm, creativity and a keen eye on provenance deserves respect and is entitled to their opinion.
As regards street food, wasn't it ever thus? Innovation comes from the margins, moves to the mainstream and then the venture capitalists and ad men get involved. Plus ca change, innit

Spot on Chef. One of the few saving graces of this country in recent decades has been the creativity, talent and dedication of chefs that has radically improved the eating experience for so many (might I use the phrase: working classes?). Chef will probably be aware that it's one of the most precarious sectors in the economy too, which makes that commitment all the more impressive.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As a rejoinder, I'd take the word of any 'provider' who has built up a reputation on quality and value over any customer who knows they can shop anywhere, for that is their right, and it's their money, and they're always right, ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports