[Food] Fake street food coming to you real soon!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This. Anywhere round here that does 'street food' charges near-restaurant prices. It's a bit of an affectation really, designed to trigger 'travellers' who dipped their toe into places where street food is an actual thing on their gap year. Our nearest native equivalent is a chippie or (yes!) a curry house or kebab shop or maybe a burger van. Don't doubt our 'street food' vendors have the best of intentions, but it really doesn't work that well here

Spot on. There are a few 'food carts' in and around Canary Wharf........Indian, Vietnamese, Burritos etc. Prices are no different than any of the places in the shopping malls.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If anybody wants decent street food (kind of I guess) then go to Alushi's under Brighton station, next to where Trollburger used to be. Fantastic, and way better than Trollburger.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Try googling 'Brighton street food whelks' - every single entry on the first page has 'whelks' crossed out. Not that anyone in the local 'street food' demographic would give a whelk stall the time of day :lol:

Whelks are frozen, and collected by a large lorry once a fortnight from Shoreham, destination the Far East. Shoreham is also the top Scallop fishing port in the country, but we don't seem to take much pride in either. If a fraction of the brainpower currently deployed to come up with interesting meat alternatives, went into getting local people interested in eating/cooking with Whelks, we would all be in a better place.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This. Anywhere round here that does 'street food' charges near-restaurant prices. It's a bit of an affectation really, designed to trigger 'travellers' who dipped their toe into places where street food is an actual thing on their gap year. Our nearest native equivalent is a chippie or (yes!) a curry house or kebab shop or maybe a burger van. Don't doubt our 'street food' vendors have the best of intentions, but it really doesn't work that well here

Street diner on Queens Road Friday lunchtime is pretty decent, usually a decent food selection and reasonably priced, but again it isn't what anyone would call 'working class' food - Burritos, Jerk Chicken, Persian food, East African food and a couple of vegan stalls.

Makes a nice change for Friday lunch.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If anybody wants decent street food (kind of I guess) then go to Alushi's under Brighton station, next to where Trollburger used to be. Fantastic, and way better than Trollburger.

Way better in what way?

I like Lebanese food and I like Alushi's. It is also reasonably priced.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Way better in what way?

I like Lebanese food and I like Alushi's. It is also reasonably priced.

Just better. Trollburger is OK but I always feel like you should get more for your £9. Where as the Soujouk platter at Alushi's is massive, and tastes amazing. Only problem is you'll be belching garlic for the rest of the day.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Street food, doesn't work in every location. You can spend a fortune on a meal in Brighton if you wish, but there are also plenty of reasonably priced places to grab a quick meal. North Laine in particular has a large number of small units, which are well suited to this type of trade, which can limit the opportunity for mobile sellers.

Outside of Brighton and Hove things are different. There are mobile trucks selling Pizza and Thai food, which trade in different small towns and villages on a weekly rota. Horsham has a street food market that does decent business at lunchtime, where otherwise the choice is not that broad. Worthing seafront in the summer, is also another good spot for street food stalls. Convenience and variety count as well as price.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Street food, doesn't work in every location. You can spend a fortune on a meal in Brighton if you wish, but there are also plenty of reasonably priced places to grab a quick meal. North Laine in particular has a large number of small units, which are well suited to this type of trade, which can limit the opportunity for mobile sellers.

Outside of Brighton and Hove things are different. There are mobile trucks selling Pizza and Thai food, which trade in different small towns and villages on a weekly rota. Horsham has a street food market that does decent business at lunchtime, where otherwise the choice is not that broad. Worthing seafront in the summer, is also another good spot for street food stalls. Convenience and variety count as well as price.

We visited Gorilla Kitchen when they were doing their pizza on Worthing seafront during the Summer months, and whilst the pizza was decent enough, I can recall thinking it was pretty pricey for what it was.

From memory it was more expensive than Worthing's excellent Fiordilatte for a smaller pizza, which seemed surprising given GK don't have the overheads of an established restaurant.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just better. Trollburger is OK but I always feel like you should get more for your £9. Where as the Soujouk platter at Alushi's is massive, and tastes amazing. Only problem is you'll be belching garlic for the rest of the day.

Always think that Troll shoots himself in the foot a bit by gratuitously bunging on excess ingredients.Obviously sees himself as A Man Of The People but simple fact is most people know what they don't like. Include beetroot on your burger menu? That's some people out. Include mustard on your burger menu? That's some more people out. And so it goes on. Maybe Troll should analyse a bit deeper. Maybe less is more. Still regularly encounter folks that moved away 20 years ago that still wax lyrical about a simple Uncle Sams chilli burger. No beetroot. No mustard. No 'twist'. Just an honest straightforward burger, impeccably delivered :drool:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Always think that Troll shoots himself in the foot a bit by gratuitously bunging on excess ingredients.Obviously sees himself as A Man Of The People but simple fact is most people know what they don't like. Include beetroot on your burger menu? That's some people out. Include mustard on your burger menu? That's some more people out. And so it goes on. Maybe Troll should analyse a bit deeper. Maybe less is more. Still regularly encounter folks that moved away 20 years ago that still wax lyrical about a simple Uncle Sams chilli burger. No beetroot. No mustard. No 'twist'. Just an honest straightforward burger, impeccably delivered :drool:

The perfect burger has Burger, Bacon, Cheese, Onion and a case can be made for Mushrooms.

Beetroot, Mustard, Gurkins & Lettuce can all do one

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The perfect burger has Burger, Bacon, Cheese, Onion and a case can be made for Mushrooms.

Yes, yes they can. Maybe somebody could point Troll in the direction of this thread as the most
valuable customer feedback he's ever likely to get before he disappears up his own bum

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, yes they can. Maybe somebody could point Troll in the direction of this thread as the most
valuable customer feedback he's ever likely to get before he disappears up his own bun

Corrected for you.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We visited Gorilla Kitchen when they were doing their pizza on Worthing seafront during the Summer months, and whilst the pizza was decent enough, I can recall thinking it was pretty pricey for what it was.

From memory it was more expensive than Worthing's excellent Fiordilatte for a smaller pizza, which seemed surprising given GK don't have the overheads of an established restaurant.

So there you were standing on Worthing seafront. Your local knowledge meant you knew exactly how long it would take to walk to Fiordilatte and from the GK menu, you were able to compare prices. As this is street food, you could also probably see what was being prepared and make a rough size comparison.

So what was it? convenience, curiosity, or suddenly the idea that eating outside with a cool sea breeze (assuming Worthing beach wasn't covered in rotting seaweed at this time), was preferable to sitting inside a hot restaurant, which might be fully booked anyway?

Worthing seafront is a prime summer pitch let by the council. Shopkeepers in Worthing, will be doing everything they can to bend the ears of local councillors, about cheap competition stealing their takings, with the cooperation of the council. I doubt they give these pitches away. This is symptomatic of a wider problem, which highlights why street food costs are not undercutting restaurant prices.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So there you were standing on Worthing seafront. Your local knowledge meant you knew exactly how long it would take to walk to Fiordilatte and from the GK menu, you were able to compare prices. As this is street food, you could also probably see what was being prepared and make a rough size comparison.

So what was it? convenience, curiosity, or suddenly the idea that eating outside with a cool sea breeze (assuming Worthing beach wasn't covered in rotting seaweed at this time), was preferable to sitting inside a hot restaurant, which might be fully booked anyway?

Worthing seafront is a prime summer pitch let by the council. Shopkeepers in Worthing, will be doing everything they can to bend the ears of local councillors, about cheap competition stealing their takings, with the cooperation of the council. I doubt they give these pitches away. This is symptomatic of a wider problem, which highlights why street food costs are not undercutting restaurant prices.

Interesting you say that - they were stuck out West, somewhere around Heene Road which I thought a little strange as I'm sure they'd do a lot better with a more central pitch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Vegeburgers aside, who the hell has mushrooms in their burger?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Still regularly encounter folks that moved away 20 years ago that still wax lyrical about a simple Uncle Sams chilli burger. No beetroot. No mustard. No 'twist'. Just an honest straightforward burger, impeccably delivered :drool:

I was hanging after my work Xmas do - 3 hour drive home and the one thing on my mind was an Uncle Sams. Double Chilli Cheese Burger, onion rings, strawberry milkshake. Was also during Amex shop small so cost me about £6 :clap2:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Vegeburgers aside, who the hell has mushrooms in their burger?

Not everyone's cup of tea I'll grant you but on the odd occasion I visit Five Guys - my youngest has a thing for their hot dogs - I normally go for the mushrooms. It goes with a good FRY UP after all.

The point for me is that a good burger is when you should choose what goes in. Everyone on this board will have a different view which is why I'll never eat anywhere where your burger comes with a vague mandated 'Burger source' and some veg that have been rejected from an allotment. Even Maccies has a customise button to get rid of the Gherkin on the machines.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Shoreham is also the top Scallop fishing port in the country, but we don't seem to take much pride in either. If a fraction of the brainpower currently deployed to come up with interesting meat alternatives, went into getting local people interested in eating/cooking with Whelks, we would all be in a better place.

No we wouldn’t. We’d all be in Shoreham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports