[Food] Fake street food coming to you real soon!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just opened up their IG account and the most recent post is:

"Nightfire - Beef patty, chilli chocolate & beetroot sauce, pickled chillies, smoked Ashdown cheese, crispy fried cavolo nero £9"​

There can be no doubting the love, care and attention to detail that goes into this, not least because scrolling back a few posts reveals some details on the sauce:

"I’m about to knock up a batch of sauce for the Nightfire burger which launches back on to the menu on Thursday.

It’s a truly unique chilli sauce made with roasted #biodynamic #sussex beetroot, cocoa powder and a blend of carefully selected chillies from [MENTION=3357]brighton[/MENTION]_chilli_shop_brighton
I’ve thrown in Carolina Reaper for a fruity intense heat, Mulato for smokey liquorice and Urfa chillies for a hint of tobacco.

Adding some freshly brewed @monmouthcoffee lots of cracked black pepper and loads of rich molasses sugar and you’ve got one next level sauce!"​

But, as he says himself "My forays into simple, affordable and healthy food simply haven’t drawn in the crowds." - so he doesn't seem to be pretending that his food is simple (the sauce above illustrates it's anything but) and a burger for £9 is not going to be affordable for many.

However, there's clearly a market for this sort of thing - Guardian readers who describe themselves as "foodies" will clearly lap it right up.

As Alan Partridge would say "...one of the new breed of Cockney chefs who like NICE food' :lol:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Probably about ten years on since I had it but the best burger I've ever had was from this place when it was in the Hobgoblin.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Train to London with a travel card is £30+, is this no longer the mode of transport for the working class?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A few beers in Brighton costs £15+. Is beer no longer a working class drink?

its sad that generally pub beer has become overpriced.

Train to London with a travel card is £30+, is this no longer the mode of transport for the working class?

travelling 50 miles to an office job is not really the working class.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wonder if somewhere in Mexico/Thailand/India/Italy there's a British Street Food stall selling potato waffles, sausage egg and beans or the Breakfast Special of a bag of crisps and can of coke consumed in a bus stop?

:lolol:

When I lived in Taiwan I played for an ex-pat football team and our manager was Glasweigan. His contract was coming to an end on the railways but he was married to a local girl and didn't want to leave. He therefore came up with a scheme to open a genuine Scottish chippy in the middle of Taipei.

He imported a fryer at great expense and included things like chippy sauce and deep fried mars bars on the menu.

Needless to say it was less than a resounding success and folded after about a year. In that time, however, in the chippy's back bar I watched our game against Palace at Withdean (the 3-2 loss) with a Palace fan who also played for our team and was present when my fellow centre back demolished an entire crate of Guinness on a six nations game day.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia

When I lived in Taiwan I played for an ex-pat football team and our manager was Glasweigan. His contract was coming to an end on the railways but he was married to a local girl and didn't want to leave. He therefore came up with a scheme to open a genuine Scottish chippy in the middle of Taipei.

He imported a fryer at great expense and included things like chippy sauce and deep fried mars bars on the menu.

Needless to say it was less than a resounding success and folded after about a year. In that time, however, in the chippy's back bar I watched our game against Palace at Withdean (the 3-2 loss) with a Palace fan who also played for our team and was present when my fellow centre back demolished an entire crate of Guinness on a six nations game day.

Taipei is one of my favourite work trips. Always seem to have the best intentions to not end up at Carnegie's, yet always seem to end up at Carnegie's after eating my body weight in dumplings and stinky tofu.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Taipei is one of my favourite work trips. Always seem to have the best intentions to not end up at Carnegie's, yet always seem to end up at Carnegie's after eating my body weight in dumplings and stinky tofu.

With apologies to everyone else on the thread for the slight derail, the team I played for was the Carnegie's Taipei pub team!! Many a night dancing on the bar at stupid o'clock. Our private parties in there were something else.....

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
We seem to like our trends forced on us in the UK. Again, while living in Taiwan we ate in night markets most weekends which are just set up in normal areas of cities and on street corners. The UK has never really had this. So when big business realised the profits to be had in very small bites for very large prices they jumped on the "craft and artisan" bandwagon and hey presto.

Leather Lane and Whitecross Street markets are great places for food stalls - lots of small businesses having a go and by the look of it doing huge trade to office workers at lunchtimes. They have evolved from markets selling normal market stuff into mostly food stalls.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Back when lived in Hanoi a guy opened a chippie. Just googled and it seems it's still going but now has some competition. Judging by the photos on google, it's popular with locals and foreigners alike. It does look very good tbf.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I wonder if somewhere in Mexico/Thailand/India/Italy there's a British Street Food stall selling potato waffles, sausage egg and beans or the Breakfast Special of a bag of crisps and can of coke consumed in a bus stop?

There aren't many examples of British inspired street food, that pass the International taste test, with the obvious exception of the sandwich. One thing I have seen offered as street food is rosemary roast potatoes. British inspired for sure, but not something you would eat here on the streets. Given the current weather eating outside, it;s not really an enticing prospect, so a lot of street food will surely be heading back to the office, or the white van to be consumed.

If people want to eat beans or toast or the occasional MacDonalds, I don't have a problem with that. The inverted snobbery that comes with it is laughable. It is almost as if when Sky invented football, they also created the working class. The first Macdonalds opened in the UK in 1974 and baked beans didn't arrive until around 1900. I don't hear anyone championing eating more oysters!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There aren't many examples of British inspired street food, that pass the International taste test, with the obvious exception of the sandwich. One thing I have seen offered as street food is rosemary roast potatoes. British inspired for sure, but not something you would eat here on the streets. Given the current weather eating outside, it;s not really an enticing prospect, so a lot of street food will surely be heading back to the office, or the white van to be consumed.

If people want to eat beans or toast or the occasional MacDonalds, I don't have a problem with that. The inverted snobbery that comes with it is laughable. It is almost as if when Sky invented football, they also created the working class. The first Macdonalds opened in the UK in 1974 and baked beans didn't arrive until around 1900. I don't hear anyone championing eating more oysters!

I'm always pro more oysters.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I’m not one for hills to die on, but the Troll consistently produces the best tasting burgers in Brighton. The attention to detail, the care and attention applied at every stage in the supply chain; his control-freak insistence on doing it all himself. They are spectacular in every way.

I remember his mission statement from back in the day (maybe I read it first via here? It was certainly NSC who introduced me to him) and despite his passion for quality shining through a lot of what he wrote was obviously a load of old guff. But then I remember my first bite into a smokey mountain at the old recycled woodyard and it was sheer bliss and it didn’t matter that he was obsessing about trying to end capitalism.

Anyway, yesterday I had a burger from the stall at Churchill square outside the Prince of Wales. £3 (THREE QUID) for a perfectly good, tasty bit of gristle with soft onions and a floury bap. Now THAT, for me better exemplifies British street food.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Sounds like Victoria Market opposite the station in London. Anyone thinking about it, don't both. I spent £8 on a salt beef sandwich, for size comparison it was smaller than an iPhone (non plus size) and was mostly fat. Gave the whole place a swerve after that. Over priced, over hyped crap. Maybe they've never been to the hawkers in Asia and sampled real street food. Place probably owned by some marketing *******

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports