Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fake £1 coins

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yeah, hard that on R2 a min ago. I remember when I worked in loss prevention/stock control in town and a guy came in with a fake £20 to pay for something. He claimed he was given it as change at the burger stand outside Churchill square. He went rather red when I pointed out that to get a £20 note as change for a £1,50 burger he would have had to try to pay for it with a £50, which is highly unlikely.

:lolol:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I know what you mean (OP). Seems like a lot of hard work to me....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They were saying on the radio that they change the print on the back of the coin regularly and you can tell a fake if the picture doesn't match up with the date on the coin. You'd think if you were going to stamp a load of fake coins you would check this rather important detail by simply looking at a real coin?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Surely it's easy. You just take your £19 million down the pier or to an amusement arcade and put each coin through the change machine, exchanging them for legitimate 20p and 10p coins.

Bit suspicious walking out with 95,000,000 20p pieces though :lolol:

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Surely it's easy. You just take your £19 million down the pier or to an amusement arcade and put each coin through the change machine, exchanging them for legitimate 20p and 10p coins.

thats if your fakes are good enough to have the coin mechs accept them in vending and slot machines. Most machines no longer work on just size of the coin, they work on the metal composition as well and if they are magnetic or not. Hence there are still machines that refuse to accept recent 10p coins

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bit suspicious walking out with 95,000,000 20p pieces though :lolol:

Haha! I have an image of a chap strolling off the pier with a sled piled high with coinage, whistling and nodding hello to passers by.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's all lovely and shiney and that..........but presumably it will be a different weight and will have a different metallic content to the existing £1 coin. And of course, it's a totally different shape.

But I've not heard what the cost will be to businesses large and small to have to modernise their machinery etc to accept the new coin. Parking meters, gaming machines, railway ticket machines, self-service checkouts, vending machines....the list goes on.

But then it's nice and shiney........ so heaping more costs on businesses when so many of them are already struggling to survive doesn't really matter!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's all lovely and shiney and that..........but presumably it will be a different weight and will have a different metallic content to the existing £1 coin. And of course, it's a totally different shape.

But I've not heard what the cost will be to businesses large and small to have to modernise their machinery etc to accept the new coin. Parking meters, gaming machines, railway ticket machines, self-service checkouts, vending machines....the list goes on.

But then it's nice and shiney........ so heaping more costs on businesses when so many of them are already struggling to survive doesn't really matter!

It will cost a fortune and it's bad timing but I suppose coins are changed and new ones introduced from time to time. When was the last change? 5p possibly? £2 coin?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

So you'd rather have millions of fake coins in circulation? It makes us look a bit 2 bob.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With all the fake £1 coins in circulation every supermarket till in the country has these dodgy coins passing through , taken and then given out again as change. You only notice the really poor imitations , the other 95% look like the real mccoy.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Just heard on the wireless that a chap has been caught with 19 million pieces of metal destined to be turned into fake £1 coins. Got me thinking. How on earth would you go about getting those into circulation? I know people probably buy loads of them on the black market, but how do they then circulate them? That is a hell of a lot of anything to get rid of. You can't just walk into a bank with loads of them and you'd be hard pushed to claim a win on the fruity with enough of them to make it worth your while. Obviously there's a way to do it but I'm baffled.

That's what gambling machines are for in bookies.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure if its an urban myth or not, but at one time in Scotland there was supposedly a roaring trade in making ice moulds of £1 coins. These were supposed to be the exact weight of genuine £1 coins so the guy would come along in the morning to empty his ciggie machine and find a puddle of water where his takings should have been. I'm sure somebody will do the physic and be able to confirm or otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here