Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Faith versus religion

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
The only people who you ever hear about 'finding God/Jesus' are those in prison, or who are very ill. Says it all really.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Your right about the original Hebrew text and not being fluent in Hebrew course I haven't read it. Confused about the old testament being a Christian invention though since the Torah and the Psalms are used in Judiasm.

this must be what Englands bowlers feel like this Test series... the fact you've highlighted the Torah and Psalms (as well as a dozen other texts incldued) as seperate in Judaism is half the point. The other half being, it was only when the christians got together into churches, that they create the compliation now known as the "old testement".

if you are still stuggling, what you could have said to Trigger was "if you know your history, the Messiah (Christ as now known) was mentioned a long time before Mary". your knowledge of biblical history is clearly no better and probably worse than Trigger's.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
this must be what Englands bowlers feel like this Test series... the fact you've highlighted the Torah and Psalms (as well as a dozen other texts incldued) as seperate in Judaism is half the point. The other half being, it was only when the christians got together into churches, that they create the compliation now known as the "old testement".

if you are still stuggling, what you could have said to Trigger was "if you know your history, the Messiah (Christ as now known) was mentioned a long time before Mary". your knowledge of biblical history is clearly no better and probably worse than Trigger's.

I am not going to throw biblical texts at you and verses to back up the coming of the messiah in the Torah or the Psalms. However, its 3.30am so you were spot on with the way my statement was worded perhaps a little tired. Back to the cricket.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
I am not going to throw biblical texts at you and verses to back up the coming of the messiah in the Torah or the Psalms. However, its 3.30am so you were spot on with the way my statement was worded perhaps a little tired. Back to the cricket.

Live for the moment.....the now.
We dwell too much in the past which we can't change,and we worry too much about the future which could be absolutely anything.
Enjoy the now!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Is it actually faith or would it be more appropriate to call it fear? I would suggest that the reason most people who have faith (as opposed to those that blindly follow a set religion) is because of a fear of what happens when they die. Also, a fear of the consequences of their own decisions when it is easier to pass the buck and claim your decision was made following prayer or guidance from some deity.

Personally, I don't believe in any form of life after death other than the memories of you that you leave behind with others. I also don't believe in the power of prayer as why does a deity answer some and not others. Take out those two principles and faith/religion is left with nothing. That doesn't mean you live your life with no regard to others; you don't have to be religious to be civil.

As for the OP's post, you should be able to challenge those that believe to question their own faith but that doesn't mean you need to be oppressive about it.

I know we have been here before, but this is all a load of absolute twaddle.
I have a faith, and I don't try and ram it down other people's throats.
I do not have a faith because I am afraid of what might happen to me after I die. I am not even sure if I believe in an afterlife, or whether I know what to expect if there is one.
Faith - and not just a Christian faith - can be an inspiration about issues like justice, fairness and the like, and far from being reassured or quiet, I find myself becoming increasingly angry as I get older because of some of the injustices around in the world.
I have been at the Tolpuddle Festival today, celebrating the case of the Tolpuddle martyrs, who did what they did because of their Christian faith, motivated by questions of justice. I had several conversations about the "getting more angry as a Christian" bit, and many people fervently agreed with that.

My own perception - somewhat unfairly, perhaps, is that if people have a faith purely as an insutance againsty what might happen next, that is actually quite selfish. I have often heard it quoted that 90% of the bible is about justice and social matters. I have never done the analysis myself, but try reading the Sermon on the Mount.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The only people who you ever hear about 'finding God/Jesus' are those in prison, or who are very ill. Says it all really.

The proper answer to this rhymes with rowlocks!

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
The proper answer to this rhymes with rowlocks!

Although said over the top to gain a reaction there is some truth to the statement. Rarely hear about people with everything going fine in their lives suddenly becoming religious, Christian or whatever.

I'd love for their to be some form of life after death and can see why it's appealing as in all honesty atheism is pretty bleak, and thats why I believe those who choose to turn to Religion (those not born into it) usually do so when they are struggling in life and down in the dumps, to try and motivate themselves and give them hope.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Why have faith in anything?
Why believe in anything?
Everything just happens.Exactly as you want it to.
It's your gig.You are learning and teaching.
Don't fret too much if you mess it up this time.You'll get it right in the end.
We all do.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Faith = Good (in whatever) Preaching = No Good (Just f'ing annoying) Talk to like-minded souls not dictate nor lecture to others!

Oct 25, 2003
love these threads...loads of atheists slagging off christians for several pages...seems that nsc needs it to happen once a month or so

don't think anyone gained/lost faith because of a football message board

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here