Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Facking bee hive!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
We've got a bird box with a camera in, (£35 from Lidls). Last year it was occupied with blue tits - this year the old nest has been taken over by a bumble bee. It's been fascinating watching - I know I should get a life!

Apparently bumble bees only lay about 400 eggs in total. The first batch are workers who collect pollen and nectar to feed the queen. After this first batch she then lays a second batch that leave the nest - males who go to look for females from other nests as well as a batch of new 'queens' who look for males from other nests. The new queens feed heavily on pollen and nectar to build up enough body fat to allow them to bury themselves underground and hibernate over winter.

The original queen and all the workers in the nest die when winter comes.

From looking at the activity in the nest at the moment it seems to be at the stage where the first batch of workers are hatching.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
We've got a bird box with a camera in, (£35 from Lidls). Last year it was occupied with blue tits - this year the old nest has been taken over by a bumble bee. It's been fascinating watching - I know I should get a life!

Apparently bumble bees only lay about 400 eggs in total. The first batch are workers who collect pollen and nectar to feed the queen. After this first batch she then lays a second batch that leave the nest - males who go to look for females from other nests as well as a batch of new 'queens' who look for males from other nests. The new queens feed heavily on pollen and nectar to build up enough body fat to allow them to bury themselves underground and hibernate over winter.

The original queen and all the workers in the nest die when winter comes.

From looking at the activity in the nest at the moment it seems to be at the stage where the first batch of workers are hatching.

That sounds awesome- have you got any pics?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I have a bee nest in our composter at the moment. I spoke to a beekeeper and, once he knew they were bumble bees, his advice was to leave them alone, they would cause no problems at all unless you disturb them. So apart from needing to make a new compost heap, they are no trouble (even though I have 3 small kids). As someone said, we need bees - beautiful, peaceful and extremely important parts of the eco-system.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
What do you call a bee who eats other bees?

Hannibal Nectar.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
That sounds awesome- have you got any pics?

This is the best I can do at the moment - its out of focus because the nesting material has been pushed up towards the camera!

Attachments

• IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 208
  • BeeCam.jpg
    BeeCam.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 205
  • BeeCam-May.jpg
    BeeCam-May.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I think if they are bumble bees, then I will have a look at getting a beekeeper (or someone or something along the lines of that) to have a look at them and maybe take them away to somewhere where they are safer.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We had a swarm of honey bees over our gardens at work in the week. They eventually started to settle on the Kiwi vine and formed a ball about the size of a football. The noise was incredible! We called our bee man who goes out collecting swarms and by the time he arrived they'd upped sticks and this time, after more swarming in the air as the 'scouts' looked for a new place to settle finally decided on a pollarded sycamore. I was filming the activity from behind glass in the shed right next to it.

When our bee man arrived I was surprised to see him without any protection and putting a step ladder up against the tree right among the bees. He then tied his swarm box to the tree for them to settle in. The box is wooden and contains two used frames, these provide the scent to the attract the bees in. Instantly the bees started heading for the entrance and furiously 'fanning' to encourage the other bees inside.

At this point he came inside to talk to us about what was happening and then invited me to come out of the shed and over to the bees to film in close up. Assuring me they were at their calmest as they were in 'transit' and therefore no danger at all, I nervously joined him up close to the bees without protection to see what was going on. He said it was only safe as they were settling, but if they'd been there for a while then you'd definitely have to be suited up. Up close the noise was phenomenal!, and it took some getting used to having thousands of bees buzzing around literally right next to you but ignoring you totally as they set about setting up camp. Interesting seeing the 'fanning' action and the way they were running like rivers across the sycamore leaves towards the box entrance.

After a few minutes of filming we left them to it for about an hour or so and then came back to seal up the box and take them away to a new hive. A good few hundred remained outside the box and these I was told will eventually go back to where they originally came from, possibly our own bee hive. Fascinating experience to be so up close to a swarm of bees and learning something of their behaviour from someone who knows what they're doing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
get a swivel chair , a miners hat with a lamp and a large cauliflower ........sit on the chair within 2 meters of the hive....hold the cauliflower between your knees ...illuminate the lamp and spin round and round screaming "i am an ambulance " for about ten minutes , this normally works......:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here