Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Facebook statuses from plastic Man Utd fans.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
You don't get irony, do you?

I wasn't going to rise to the bait, but you have me. I joined this forum because my little brother and sister are Brighton fans. Do you remember that nice age, under 10, just getting into football and discovering your love for the game and the team you follow?

I don't really know anything about Brighton football club so after doing some research on the internet, I found this forum (which looked friendly enough at the beginning). I started reading up on the team and trying to learn as much to pass onto them so they would know about Brighton and so that I could bond with them over football because that was one of my best memories as I was growing up, having football to talk about with my step-dad, to be able to sit and chat for hours about football...

Turns out that you're not 'welcome' unless the whole family is a Brighton fan, eh? They should put that in big letters on the Stadium or on the forum banner here. New young fans welcome, bring your kids to junior segulls days, but if your parents or guardian don't stupport Brighton, stay at home, you're not welcome here... A great advertisement for the club.

Isn't it better to let them find their own team rather than orce United on them, letting them chose a club for themselves. I see there are plenty of other people here that support other clubs, I didn't realise there was a strict criteria for what is acceptable.

Thanks. It's been emotional. At least my little brother and sister will be in good company...

I'd be embarrassed if I was your little brother or sister. They'll always have the shame of having you in the family.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I wasn't going to rise to the bait, but you have me. I joined this forum because my little brother and sister are Brighton fans. Do you remember that nice age, under 10, just getting into football and discovering your love for the game and the team you follow?

I don't really know anything about Brighton football club so after doing some research on the internet, I found this forum (which looked friendly enough at the beginning). I started reading up on the team and trying to learn as much to pass onto them so they would know about Brighton and so that I could bond with them over football because that was one of my best memories as I was growing up, having football to talk about with my step-dad, to be able to sit and chat for hours about football...

Turns out that you're not 'welcome' unless the whole family is a Brighton fan, eh? They should put that in big letters on the Stadium or on the forum banner here. New young fans welcome, bring your kids to junior segulls days, but if your parents or guardian don't stupport Brighton, stay at home, you're not welcome here... A great advertisement for the club.

Isn't it better to let them find their own team rather than orce United on them, letting them chose a club for themselves. I see there are plenty of other people here that support other clubs, I didn't realise there was a strict criteria for what is acceptable.

Thanks. It's been emotional. At least my little brother and sister will be in good company...

If that's a true statement then I feel a little sorry for you. Fair do with your brother and sister etc. but your first post about plastics stated that we are envious of the big clubs etc. Things could not be further from the truth, I actually feel sorry for man u fans as each success they achieve is only one in a long line of similar stories. After a while it must feel a little hollow. The difference for fans of a more typical football club like Brighton, palace etc is that relative success brings a fantastic sense of achievement. For me, getting to Falmer and playing Doncaster in the first game was the best football feeling ever, better than the cup final, promotion etc. I put that to a man u supporting mate the other day. He hadn't thought about that before but thought it was a valid point. Not every man u, Liverpool fan is a plastic just because they live in Sussex, Surrey, to be fair, when you first posted, I thought you were a Brighton fan. Maybe you're a true man u fan but for each one of you there are a thousand sheep who genuinely are not 'proper'football fans. Personally I think you are welcome to follow a second team, it's great if it's Brighton. I wouldn't have two teams myself but I know others who quite successfully do.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011

Perhaps you should look up to your little brother and sister.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
They certainly haven't been following us for the glory over the years. Most plastic fans simply choose one of the big clubs so that they can c compensate for their low self-esteem as and when the said big club wins anything.

Yes I think there maybe some compensating for low self esteem on this thread!

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I'd be embarrassed if I was your little brother or sister. They'll always have the shame of having you in the family.

Thanks Sam. Lucky for me we're not related...

If that's a true statement then I feel a little sorry for you. Fair do with your brother and sister etc. but your first post about plastics stated that we are envious of the big clubs etc. Things could not be further from the truth, I actually feel sorry for man u fans as each success they achieve is only one in a long line of similar stories. After a while it must feel a little hollow. The difference for fans of a more typical football club like Brighton, palace etc is that relative success brings a fantastic sense of achievement. For me, getting to Falmer and playing Doncaster in the first game was the best football feeling ever, better than the cup final, promotion etc. I put that to a man u supporting mate the other day. He hadn't thought about that before but thought it was a valid point. Not every man u, Liverpool fan is a plastic just because they live in Sussex, Surrey, to be fair, when you first posted, I thought you were a Brighton fan. Maybe you're a true man u fan but for each one of you there are a thousand sheep who genuinely are not 'proper'football fans. Personally I think you are welcome to follow a second team, it's great if it's Brighton. I wouldn't have two teams myself but I know others who quite successfully do.

And it's people like you on this forum that make me want to stick around. Talking sense. I enjoy the company of Brighton fans and reading this forum because -- bar a couple -- they're logical and actually talk good footballing sense, at least the ones I've met do. However, the United fans most people here are describing are exactly the type of fans I despise, and dislike associating myself with. I will rarely go to a pub to watch a game because they irritate me too. They type that have never been to see a game, couldn't pick out any reserve team players, don't understand the club, the history etc.

But please, read again what I wrote. I made reference to Palace fans calling Brighton fans plastic, because of what they now have. A rich owner, a beautiful stadium. Please correct me if I am wrong, but they wouldn't have called you a fan plastic two years ago, but they do now. Which is why I made reference to jealousy. I never once made reference to people being envious of a bigger club. I'm not naive enough to make that sort of statement. I was trying to understand the perceived association with fans suddenly being plastic, and there's one common denominator, and that's what they're achieving over other teams.

Associating a local club like Brighton with a club like United is different. I guess the feeling of support is different, too. However, I don't doubt for a second that our passions are any greater or any less. I still, after 22 years get that gut wrenching feeling with watching games. I still cannot watch 90 minutes without being on the edge of my seat, and I still care more than I should about a football team. Sure I don't have a new stadium to shout about, but what about in 10 years time when I expect Brighton to be an established Premier League team? Your support will not drop, you wont care any less for Brighton. Are you telling me that you'll never experience this euphoria again? There are always new experiences. It never feels hollow. When it does, you'll know it'll be time to call it a day, but until then, for me, each victory is as good as the last.

Anyway, I shouldn't have to defend myself. And clearly not welcome. Good luck for next season and the future. Adios.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thank Sam. Lucky for me we're not related...

And it's people like you on this forum that make me want to stick around. Talking sense. I enjoy the company of Brighton fans and reading this forum because -- bar a couple -- they're logical and actually talk good footballing sense, at least the ones I've met do. However, the United fans most people here are describing are exactly the type of fans I despise, and dislike associating myself with. I will rarely go to a pub to watch a game because they irritate me too. They type that have never been to see a game, couldn't pick out any reserve team players, don't understand the club, the history etc.

But please, read again what I wrote. I made reference to Palace fans calling Brighton fans plastic, because of what they now have. A rich owner, a beautiful stadium. Please correct me if I am wrong, but they wouldn't have called you a fan plastic two years ago, but they do now. Which is why I made reference to jealousy. I never once made reference to people being envious of a bigger club. I'm not naive enough to make that sort of statement. I was trying to understand the perceived association with fans suddenly being plastic, and there's one common denominator, and that's what they're achieving over other teams.

Associating a local club like Brighton with a club like United is different. I guess the feeling of support is different, too. However, I don't doubt for a second that our passions are any greater or any less. I still, after 22 years get that gut wrenching feeling with watching games. I still cannot watch 90 minutes without being on the edge of my seat, and I still care more than I should about a football team. Sure I don't have a new stadium to shout about, but what about in 10 years time when I expect Brighton to be an established Premier League team? Your support will not drop, you wont care any less for Brighton. Are you telling me that you'll never experience this euphoria again? There are always new experiences. It never feels hollow. When it does, you'll know it'll be time to call it a day, but until then, for me, each victory is as good as the last.

Anyway, I shouldn't have to defend myself. And clearly not welcome. Good luck for next season and the future. Adios.

Nobody said you weren't welcome pal. I just think maybe you failing to mention the fact you were a Man U 'fan' initially, and then someone rumbling you, has caused you to over-react. Why not just sit back and learn - maybe try going to an albion game yourself with the fam?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

I've been a season ticket holder at Grimsby since I was 6 years old - I'm now 27. If I'm honest, it's mostly been mostly shít in the 21 years since my first game, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

The friends I've made, the memories I've gained watching Town make it all worthwhile. There haven't been that many good times, at least not in the last decade or so, but I'll take all of them to the grave with me. Two Wembley victory's in the space of 5 weeks in 1998 (our last promotion incidentally), beating Liverpool at Anfield in the last minute of extra time with a 35-yard screamer in front of 9,000 Town fans, playing Ruud Gullit's Chelsea off the park.

Perhaps the most special moment for me was about 6 or 7 years ago though - beating a full-strength Tottenham side 1-0 in the last minute at Blundell Park. I remember running onto the pitch in the following pitch invasion and finding my dad in the centre circle. There was just a big, protracted man hug - for me, it was just to say "thanks for giving all this to me".

I've nothing against 'plastics' - it's a personal choice and if that's how they enjoy their football then so be it. But I can't help but think they're missing out. It's hard to describe how I felt that night, but I doubt any armchair United or Liverpool fan has ever felt that good about supporting their team. For me, it's about the quality of the good times, not the quantity.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Why would I be jealous of someone looking at the league table, seeing who's first, and going "right, I'll support them"?

That's plastic, meaningless support.

This is what children do. I watch match of the day with my son who is 7. He wants to choose a team to win in each match but he also wants to choose a team to follow every week. He looked at who was winning and chose City (I can live with that, as long as it is not united). Will he grow up to be a City fan? I think he would left to his own devices.

but..........

He also sees the passion with which I support Brighton (we also watch the football league show) he understands that I am from Brighton and that is his heritage. I have also recently told him i will buy him a soccer kit, he is undecided whether to get a Man City or a Brighton one, as far as i am concerned their is no Man City option and he will be in blue and white stripes.

The point is kids left to their own devices are going to choose the big, successful, glamourous clubs that is in their nature.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This is what children do. I watch match of the day with my son who is 7. He wants to choose a team to win in each match but he also wants to choose a team to follow every week. He looked at who was winning and chose City (I can live with that, as long as it is not united). Will he grow up to be a City fan? I think he would left to his own devices.

but..........

He also sees the passion with which I support Brighton (we also watch the football league show) he understands that I am from Brighton and that is his heritage. I have also recently told him i will buy him a soccer kit, he is undecided whether to get a Man City or a Brighton one, as far as i am concerned their is no Man City option and he will be in blue and white stripes.

The point is kids left to their own devices are going to choose the big, successful, glamourous clubs that is in their nature.

You best teach him the correct name of the sport first pal :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've been a season ticket holder at Grimsby since I was 6 years old - I'm now 27. If I'm honest, it's mostly been mostly shít in the 21 years since my first game, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

The friends I've made, the memories I've gained watching Town make it all worthwhile. There haven't been that many good times, at least not in the last decade or so, but I'll take all of them to the grave with me. Two Wembley victory's in the space of 5 weeks in 1998 (our last promotion incidentally), beating Liverpool at Anfield in the last minute of extra time with a 35-yard screamer in front of 9,000 Town fans, playing Ruud Gullit's Chelsea off the park.

Perhaps the most special moment for me was about 6 or 7 years ago though - beating a full-strength Tottenham side 1-0 in the last minute at Blundell Park. I remember running onto the pitch in the following pitch invasion and finding my dad in the centre circle. There was just a big, protracted man hug - for me, it was just to say "thanks for giving all this to me".

I've nothing against 'plastics' - it's a personal choice and if that's how they enjoy their football then so be it. But I can't help but think they're missing out. It's hard to describe how I felt that night, but I doubt any armchair United or Liverpool fan has ever felt that good about supporting their team. For me, it's about the quality of the good times, not the quantity.

Well said that man. Is that club on Cleethorpes pier still open? My god we had a mad weekend there despite being relegated!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's amazing how many people I know who claim their family hail from Manchester or Liverpool. Was there a mass southbound exodus from the northern cities in the 80s I wasn't aware of?

Funnily enough my wife's family moved here from Manchester (about 6 miles from the Etihad, or Maine Rd) in the 80s via Sutton Coldfield.

As for the main thrust of the thread, so what if someone decided to pump a lot of money into a club with a massive fan base. Seem to recall that we would not be were we are today had it not been for an individual dipping his hands in his very expansive pockets. We wouldn't have the Amex. Also, had we built the stadium and just had a mediocre season last year then how many season tickets would we have sold last January/Feb? There are plenty of people enjoying the Albion experience for the very first time this season and good luck to them.

As for me, I was born in the London Borough of Merton. Does that make me a plastic?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thanks Sam. Lucky for me we're not related...

To be fair mate, none of us really feel welcome on here. It is just the nature of the place, you need a think skin and a powerful knobhead filter. To be fair (as you have suggested) this place isn't really representative of Albion supports on the whole. Stick around though their is smooth with the rough and the occasional shining light that makes the experience worthwhile.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Funnily enough my wife's family moved here from Manchester (about 6 miles from the Etihad, or Maine Rd) in the 80s via Sutton Coldfield.

As for the main thrust of the thread, so what if someone decided to pump a lot of money into a club with a massive fan base. Seem to recall that we would not be were we are today had it not been for an individual dipping his hands in his very expansive pockets. We wouldn't have the Amex. Also, had we built the stadium and just had a mediocre season last year then how many season tickets would we have sold last January/Feb? There are plenty of people enjoying the Albion experience for the very first time this season and good luck to them.

As for me, I was born in the London Borough of Merton. Does that make me a plastic?

Not if you support Merton FC

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Nobody said you weren't welcome pal. I just think maybe you failing to mention the fact you were a Man U 'fan' initially, and then someone rumbling you, has caused you to over-react. Why not just sit back and learn - maybe try going to an albion game yourself with the fam?

I've made no secret of it. I've mentioned it a few times on this forum. However, I've never said I was a Brighton fan either. So there was no rumbling to be done, really. I just find it easier not to go shouting about being a United fan on other teams forums, tends to upset the locals, but when asked I would never deny it, why would I...

I've been to about 20 games this season, if not more. I've enjoyed seeing my little brother in his Brighton kit getting excited for the team, munching on his pies that he doesn't stop going on about and sharing some special moments with my brother and other friends that are also Brighton fans. It's been great for me to be able to do this with my family and friends. I mean after all, isn't that what the 'community stadium' is all about?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's seriously easy to get children to support their local club. You tell them who they are going to support, why they should support them and you buy them the tops and you take them to matches. Job done. I brainwashed my 2 boys into supporting Brighton and from the day they were born they were only ever going to support their local club. They were Withdean STHs since the age of 5 and at the ages of 10 and 12 neither will ever support anyone else.

Bollocks to all this 'letting kids choose their team' malarkey. FFS, what's wrong with you people?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's seriously easy to get children to support their local club. You tell them who they are going to support, why they should support them and you buy them the tops and you take them to matches. Job done. I brainwashed my 2 boys into supporting Brighton and from the day they were born they were only ever going to support their local club. They were Withdean STHs since the age of 5 and at the ages of 10 and 12 neither will ever support anyone else.

Bollocks to all this 'letting kids choose their team' malarkey. FFS, what's wrong with you people?

Quite right.
But many kids grow up without this kind of guidence and are left to their own devices.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've made no secret of it. I've mentioned it a few times on this forum. However, I've never said I was a Brighton fan either. So there was no rumbling to be done, really. I just find it easier not to go shouting about being a United fan on other teams forums, tends to upset the locals, but when asked I would never deny it, why would I...

I've been to about 20 games this season, if not more. I've enjoyed seeing my little brother in his Brighton kit getting excited for the team, munching on his pies that he doesn't stop going on about and sharing some special moments with my brother and other friends that are also Brighton fans. It's been great for me to be able to do this with my family and friends. I mean after all, isn't that what the 'community stadium' is all about?

I didn't see or don't remember your other threads where you stated your allegiances. as suggested, we are a mixed bunch, can't even agree amongst ourselves so what hope have the rest got? :) Stick it out. Your Brighton credentials will increase no end.... :)

Manchester United fans smash up Manchester City club shop after defeat.

C_71_article_1492544_image_list_image_list_item_6_image.jpg

Ha ! call that a Club shop ?

Here's a real club shop

shop.jpg

Plus it has a pharmacy above it. Top notch eh ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

So right.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Yep. Same here even though my kids were born in Toxteth. Brighton shirts from day one. Moving back to Sussex helped though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here