Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to give away 99% of shares

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Some seem to be judging him based on the % of his wealth he is NOT giving away, others on the absolute $ amount (since he is still leaving himself $300m). I would suggest on either count giving away 99% of your wealth or $30Bn is extremely generous and probably more than most in his position would consider. This will make a massive difference Globally. Gates and Buffett also raised Billions from Forbes list members by requesting they consider leaving at least 50% of their net wealth during their life times or on death to charitable causes. This is life changing for the Planet, even if not for them individually. I for one am fully supportive of these very fortunate individuals being so philanthropic.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
maybe, just maybe, his wealth based on his share holding Facebook has very little to do with the tax paid around the globe? its a sad day when someone gets criticised for donating billions.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I mentioned this at work and someone said "Yeah, but he's still leaving himself with loads of money".

Cor, yeah. How SELFISH.

Great gesture from Zuckerberg.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Hi Missus looks about 60

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
In the 60s when the top rate of tax in Britain was 95%, it's not as high as the 99% that he's giving away now.

But surely if he paid his fair share of tax the money would benefit everyone. By paying into his favourite charities he is helping the few who need the support of those charities.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Could he be persuaded to take over the Albion if Mr Bloom decides he no longer wants to give away 10 Million a year each year in the search for premier league football, against all these clubs with parachute payments.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But surely if he paid his fair share of tax the money would benefit everyone. By paying into his favourite charities he is helping the few who need the support of those charities.

Do you really think politicians use taxes to benefit everyone?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
that the cynics believe he's only doing it because he doesnt pay tax. when it can be argued that tony bloom has done something similar.

its viewed differently because what tony bloom has done has benefited brighton, whereas they wouldnt see the benefits from what zuckerberg is donating to

I have no idea what Bloom's business tax arrangement is. But if he was aggressively and brazenly avoiding tax in a similar fashion to Facebook, Starbucks etc I will be equally disappointed. I'm sure he is tax efficient, but then there's taking the piss. I hope it's not the latter.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I have no idea what Bloom's business tax arrangement is. But if he was aggressively and brazenly avoiding tax in a similar fashion to Facebook, Starbucks etc I will be equally disappointed. I'm sure he is tax efficient, but then there's taking the piss. I hope it's not the latter.

IF he's made the bulk of his wealth by gambling then he won't have paid any tax on that - no need to take avoidance measures at all - betting tax was abolished in 2001

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
IF he's made the bulk of his wealth by gambling then he won't have paid any tax on that - no need to take avoidance measures at all - betting tax was abolished in 2001

he didnt make that much gambling, and not everywhere has tax free gambling either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

One thing I'm confident of is his main wealth isn't from playing cards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course - now football betting, especially on the Asian market is a different matter - one thing seems to be certain and that is his wealth doesn't come from registered businesses.

He owns properties here & abroad, including hotels.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its a sign individuals are becoming more powerful than many countries due to tax avoidance...

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
All I'll say is that when my one man business is paying more corporation tax than a company like Facebook something is majorly wrong. Whether it's avoidance, evasion, whatever you want to call it, it's not right. Still at least we're all in it together!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here