Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Face Masks and Covid Passes to end in England from next Thursday

Keep Face Masks and Covid Passes or not?

• Yes. Keep the masks and Covid passes. They make me comfortable to live my life normally

Votes: 168 61.1%
  • No. Scrap the masks and Covid passes. They don't make any difference now.

Votes: 107 38.9%

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
[emoji38][emoji38]

I read in The Mail that if you have a crabface wearing a mask could help. That's a fact.
Regular claw washing too, but that may be a bit time consuming...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It would probably help if the UK did not think that a cloth covering was enough.

Research has shown that FFP2 masks do make a difference but for some reason, the UK government ignored this and did not make them the de factor mask. Probably too late now. Bumble***** policy of herd immunity is nearly there.

All the time we have a pandemic, we have a government in a state of denial and an unacceptable infection level its not too late, an FFP2 will offer a lot more protection.

You can get reusable ones that can be washed, cost about 2 pints of ale...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My pet theory is compliance is higher in areas with Labour MPs. Certainly if you get a train from Worthing to Brighton or London people getting on at Hove or near London are much more likely to have a mask on.

Education also. last year, M&S in Chi, 80% masks, Waitrose . . . 95%+ . . . . Sainsburys, 60% max.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If Bumblec**t has 'achieved' anything ( highly debatable) it's this . . .by hook or crook he's got us where he wanted from the outset, whilst continually sweeping as much under the carpet as possible.

The highest death toll in Europe, quite an achievement.
So many highs and lows in his in his handling of Covid. The funniest one for me was the Christmas lockdown that everyone could see coming except Johnson.. He actually pointed his finger at Starmer at PMQ's and said " Captain Hindsight over there wants to play Scrooge and would cancel your Christmas if he could...."

4 days later Johnson put on his sad puppy face and told the nation he was having to pretty much cancel Christmas.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Say it as many times as you like. There is plenty of evidence to the contrary. It is not one or the other and I am not going to follow something simply because one person says it when plenty of others say the opposite. Common sense (and multiple articles) tell me that a mixture of defenses such as social distancing and mask wearing are the best way. I am not saying we should all stay locked away but my wife and I are emerging with caution rather than just throwing everything out at once. Triple jabbed and recently had Covid so we felt safe going to the pub on Friday night but we will continue to wear masks in shops for the comfort of others.

The basic problem is that face coverings come in a range of effectiveness.

Most worn by the general public are OK at stopping infection getting to other people, but rubbish at stopping incoming. Hence the 'need' for the majority of people to wear them. Wear them with gaping openings on the side, off the nose, or under the chin is worthless.

Better masks, as worn by surgeons, are effective at stopping 99% of incoming. If you are concerned that others are not wearing masks, then these are the masks to get.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Most warn by the general public are OK at stopping infection getting to other people, but rubbish at stopping incoming. Hence the 'need' for the majority of people to wear them. Wear them with gaping openings on the side, off the nose, or under the chin is worthless.

Better masks, as worn by surgeons, are effective at stopping 99% of incoming. If you are concerned that others are not wearing masks, then these are the masks to get.

What about a Rock-tabulous Cloak of invincibility? :rolleyes:

rick-wakeman-king-arthur-embed-08.jpg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So many highs and lows in his in his handling of Covid. The funniest one for me was the Christmas lockdown that everyone could see coming except Johnson.. He actually pointed his finger at Starmer at PMQ's and said " Captain Hindsight over there wants to play Scrooge and would cancel your Christmas if he could...."

4 days later Johnson put on his sad puppy face and told the nation he was having to pretty much cancel Christmas.

I think that’s when he finally lost some quite important support. He managed to enrage both sides of the debate which is quite an achievement.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But WFH has massive MH side effects too.

I feel uncomfortable about using coercion from the state to get people back to 'normal'

Wfh also has positive MH side affects though. In many cases more time and money to yourself. I'm in a team of 12, only one wants to return to the office. I did a week solid last week and couldn't how much shit it was and increased my stress

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Most warn by the general public are OK at stopping infection getting to other people, but rubbish at stopping incoming. Hence the 'need' for the majority of people to wear them. Wear them with gaping openings on the side, off the nose, or under the chin is worthless.

Could you provide a link to an example of some such mask, genuinely interested in sourcing some of these assuming they are the disposable type, I have to wear a mask at work and I’ve got the Trusted PPE 98% filtration version but I wasn’t aware they protected me too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
But WFH has massive MH side effects too.

I feel uncomfortable about using coercion from the state to get people back to 'normal'

Having done a lot of it myself over the last couple of years I would quite like to be visiting an office a couple of times a week to regain a bit of structure and separate home and professional life (depending on how far you live from the office and what you do might effect how often you need to go to the office but that is heading into non-Covid talk) but it has lead to a massive reduction in face to face contacts which probably kept a lid on the virus.

I agree that it is between employer and employee though.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Education also. last year, M&S in Chi, 80% masks, Waitrose . . . 95%+ . . . . Sainsburys, 60% max.

:facepalm: Jesus, some fantastic snobbery there! Please let us know the detail in your research, how long you conducted your research for and the correlation between both the level of education to supermarket and the level of education to mask wearing. I'd honestly be fascinated unless these are just numbers you've plucked out of thin air.

Last year in Tesco's in Burgess Hill, just about the last place on earth I'd imagine you'd be seen in if Sainsburys is the bottom of your class ladder, I can't recall anybody not wearing a mask.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Could you provide a link to an example of some such mask, genuinely interested in sourcing some of these assuming they are the disposable type, I have to wear a mask at work and I’ve got the Trusted PPE 98% filtration version but I wasn’t aware they protected me too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here you go. The masks are known a N99 or FFP3 depending on where they come from. but they are essentially the same.

What are N99 / FFP3 Face Masks?
N99 or FFP3 face masks are used to provide protection from viruses, bacteria, and solid or liquid toxic aerosols. N99 and FFP3 provide the same amount of protection as each other, but have different names depending on where they have been made. These masks are commonly used by those working in the healthcare industry as personal protective equipment (PPE). FFP3 masks filter 99% of particles from the air. These face masks have been approved by the World Health Organisation for preventing the transmission of COVID-19.

Some of these masks have a valve built in which makes them slightly easier to wear over long periods. This does not affect incoming, but allows any virus that the wearer breathes out to reach others.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I say again ...

From BBC News website...

Professor Jonathan Van Tam said he does not believe healthy people wearing them would reduce the spread of the disease in the UK, saying "what matters now is social distancing".

I see a couple of other posters have already encouraged you to read what he said a bit closer.

There have been many studies that have showed face masks can HELP reduce the risks of infection. Another thing that has been bizarre watching the UK from outside is how unwilling it seems to learn from outside of it's own bubble. From day one in Japan the mantra has been masks, space and ventilation. Not perfect but the results have been far, far preferable to the mess in the UK and yet I don't see anyone looking beyond Europe for ways to deal with the virus. Japan has done a lot of studies on face masks too. Again, I don't see anyone back home paying attention.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
:facepalm: Jesus, some fantastic snobbery there! Please let us know the detail in your research, how long you conducted your research for and the correlation between both the level of education to supermarket and the level of education to mask wearing. I'd honestly be fascinated unless these are just numbers you've plucked out of thin air.

Last year in Tesco's in Burgess Hill, just about the last place on earth I'd imagine you'd be seen in if Sainsburys is the bottom of your class ladder, I can't recall anybody not wearing a mask.

Maybe not 'education' but atttitude, definitely . Anyway, its just an observation, from last year when things started to relax a little, before Omicron. . What the different supermarkets did to encourage and assist is also telling. we're roughly in the same situation now. People starting to think everythings fine, with a large dollop of 'I',m alright Jack'

oddly, in Shoreham recently I couldn't tell much difference between Stressco and M&S.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
It would probably help if the UK did not think that a cloth covering was enough.

Research has shown that FFP2 masks do make a difference but for some reason, the UK government ignored this and did not make them the de factor mask. Probably too late now. Bumble***** policy of herd immunity is nearly there.

I think the truth is that at the time there was a world shortage of masks and the Government did not 'advertise the fact' as there would have been a stampede to buy them with a subsequent shortage in the NHS and Care Homes.

BTW

FFP3 masks are more effective than FFP2 masks - 99% vs 95%

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I'm at the stage where I'm convinced that every decision that this government makes for the next few weeks is solely in the service of keeping Johnson in power.

As a result, and because masks never bothered me anyway, I'll carry on until I feel comfortable otherwise.

Which is exactly why he has done it. He knows people will not feel comfortable with it, and will adhere to not existing rules, and he looks like the Messiah that gave us all out freedom back.

Smoke and mirrors.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
From BBC News website...

Professor Jonathan Van Tam said he does not believe healthy people wearing them would reduce the spread of the disease in the UK.

JVT is a scientist and this statement is factually correct.

I have stated elsewhere in this thread that the vast majority of masks protect against outgoing and not incoming virus. So a healthy person wearing such a mask offers no benefit to others.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Maybe not 'education' but atttitude, definitely . Anyway, its just an observation, from last year when things started to relax a little, before Omicron. . What the different supermarkets did to encourage and assist is also telling. we're roughly in the same situation now. People starting to think everythings fine, with a large dollop of 'I',m alright Jack'

oddly, in Shoreham recently I couldn't tell much difference between Stressco and M&S.

It’s a difficult one. In Birkenhead (which is mixed but overall quite an ordinary area) I found last year that everyone wore a mask in Lidl but not everyone in Sainsburys. I’m not posh enough for Waitrose so can’t help there :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here