Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fabrizio Romano

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove

The Marc Cucurella deal was something unforgettable for me,” Romano says. “It was probably the best story of my life in terms of transfers.” Just like any other move, he announced that Brighton were to sell Cucurella to Chelsea and that a deal was imminent. Incredibly, the Seagulls put out a statement to deny it, referring to “inaccurate reports”. It threatened Romano’s reputation. “I still remember the feelings I had – it was like a rollercoaster,” he says.

“There were a lot of people attacking me, but I was 100 per cent sure of what I was saying and confident of my sources involved in this story.” Romano held his nerve and doubled down. He was vindicated when the move went through two days later; Chelsea even made a coded allusion to Brighton’s denial. “It was honestly the best moment of my career,” the Italian explains. “For the first time, I felt that something was happening with me about the transfer – not just the reporting of it but having a big social media impact.”

It’s not always a nice impact. Romano does his due diligence, behaves respectfully on social media and credits other writers who break stories first. But with such prominence in the world of sports journalism, he is a target for a deluge of abuse. “I understand criticism and I find it positive,” he says calmly. “It can help you to understand where you are wrong. But it’s on one condition: I only want to hear this criticism from real people showing their face, or at least their name.”

Romano has even phoned back trolls in the past to discuss what they’ve said about him. “I feel there should be some kind of respect,” he tells FFT. “It’s really important to have respect. It’s very easy to say these things on Twitter, but I’m sure they would never do that if we met on the street.”

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

The Marc Cucurella deal was something unforgettable for me,” Romano says. “It was probably the best story of my life in terms of transfers.” Just like any other move, he announced that Brighton were to sell Cucurella to Chelsea and that a deal was imminent. Incredibly, the Seagulls put out a statement to deny it, referring to “inaccurate reports”. It threatened Romano’s reputation. “I still remember the feelings I had – it was like a rollercoaster,” he says.

“There were a lot of people attacking me, but I was 100 per cent sure of what I was saying and confident of my sources involved in this story.” Romano held his nerve and doubled down. He was vindicated when the move went through two days later; Chelsea even made a coded allusion to Brighton’s denial. “It was honestly the best moment of my career,” the Italian explains. “For the first time, I felt that something was happening with me about the transfer – not just the reporting of it but having a big social media impact.”

It’s not always a nice impact. Romano does his due diligence, behaves respectfully on social media and credits other writers who break stories first. But with such prominence in the world of sports journalism, he is a target for a deluge of abuse. “I understand criticism and I find it positive,” he says calmly. “It can help you to understand where you are wrong. But it’s on one condition: I only want to hear this criticism from real people showing their face, or at least their name.”

Romano has even phoned back trolls in the past to discuss what they’ve said about him. “I feel there should be some kind of respect,” he tells FFT. “It’s really important to have respect. It’s very easy to say these things on Twitter, but I’m sure they would never do that if we met on the street.”
Still dislike him for mostly regurgitating the same old stuff for the $$$.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

All that says to me is that Chelsea feed him info, the Caicedo affair just backs it up. Of course no money will have changed hands :smile:

He is not wrong about Twitter but live by the sword…

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
To be fair to him, he played a big part in us rinsing Chelsea for astronomical fees for Cucurella & Caicedo.

Whatever you think of him, he may well have made our club tens of millions of quid more than if he hadn't got involved.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
To be fair to him, he played a big part in us rinsing Chelsea for astronomical fees for Cucurella & Caicedo.

Whatever you think of him, he may well have made our club tens of millions of quid more than if he hadn't got involved.
That may well be true or not who knows, but if it is it only proves what an amateur recruitment setup they possess.

Edit: Chelsea I mean, as the poster below stated no way are Bloom and Barber taking any notice.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

No he didn’t. You think Bloom is influenced by Romano?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Working 20 hours a day my ARSE.

Attachments

• screen-shot-2014-05-06-at-10-52-25-am.png
    screen-shot-2014-05-06-at-10-52-25-am.png
    304 KB · Views: 29

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I notice he glossed over the two months before the Chelsea move where he was pumping out left, right and centre Cucurella was imminently joining City.

The epitome of everything wrong with modern football.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

In as nice a way of possible of posting, what a load of crap. If you think he has that sort of influence you're mad. Indeed the likes of this entity is likely to make decent clubs walk away from deals. Brighton do their business out of the limelight so when leeches start tweeting this stuff it is likely Bloom and Barber will double down on their stance.

It highlights walls have ears and will alter the way Brighton will allow things to be made public.

He neither made Brighton accept or decline an offer.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Romano is just the PR Newswire for agents.

And he definitely didn't have any impact on the valuation of Caicedo.
All he does is feed the armchair plastics.

The only influence he has is to allow normal supporters of normal clubs to re-enforce their hatred for the likes of Chelsea

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
You have to be living in a parallel universe to think he has an impact on transfer fees. Generating online noise, yes. Influencing the decision makers at clubs, come off it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I notice he glossed over the two months before the Chelsea move where he was pumping out left, right and centre Cucurella was imminently joining City.

The epitome of everything wrong with modern football.
he glossed over alot of speculative crap.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
he glossed over alot of speculative crap.
The epitome of throwing enough mud at the wall until something sticks. Link every top player to every big club and eventually something will come off.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London

That’s a good point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here