[Albion] Fabricio Diaz

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Baleba straight off the bat. He's both older and more experienced has loads of Spanish speakers around him to settle quicker. Looks neater on the ball.
That's arguable. Baleba might say he's been playing in a better league of course.

But even if you're right, that gets him, at best 4th choice. And if two of Dahoud, Gross and Gilmour were injured at the same time, i'm not totally sure, Milner or Lallana wouldn't be the ones filling in there.

i'm not saying we're making a mistake. I just don't see this as a signing primarily for this season. It's possible we would loan straight out, but I think more likely we will for January.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Is that true? It was the case a year ago but with Facundo on his way out, we only have Pervis and Julio as native Spanish speakers now (although I bet Igor can speak Spanish and I believe Milner does).
Milner is fluent, believe his wife is Spanish and kids bilingual. Alzate still at club, presumably bilingual. And guessing at least some of the coaching staff can speak some Spanish given they're Italian.
Not many French speakers about though.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I think there will be a lot of rotation to be honest, but wouldn’t expect Baleba and Diaz to get lots of minutes right away, more of a slow integration as we saw with Enciso.

With the exception of Dahoud and Gilmour, all these players are very different kinds of midfielders and will play depending on the opposition, fixture congestion and game management.

Gross will play in about 5 different positions over the season so him being on the pitch doesn’t necessarily block one of the others.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I'd not actually thought of it in specific terms (forgive me if I've been missing the key point all this time :D ), but that may well be a genuine factor in getting the clubs to steer their players towards us.

Say Player X is valued at, say £10m currently, by his team in Uruguay, Argentina or wherever. That fee is the same whether he goes to us or City (unless Chelsea come in, in which case they'll offer £4m and pay £30m). Anyway, if the player goes to City and turns out to be brilliant, he's unlikely to be sold on anywhere any time soon, because they're not a club who has to flog their top players to even richer clubs. And nor is the player likely to demand a move unless Barcelona or Real Madrid come in. So the selling club gets £10m and no more, at least not for years. Whereas if that player comes to us and is brilliant, there's every prospect of us selling him on within a year or two and said club doubling their money sooner rather than later. So it makes more sense for the selling club to favour us when you're talking about players with potential.

We just need to convince the players of this now. Well. The agents anyway :rolleyes:

100% and that's why we should not think of the £20m we need to send to Caicedo's original club in Ecudaor as money lost. Other South American clubs will see the payment and should be falling over themselves to sell players to us!

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
These two might be the answer to the question "What do we do against sides who will exploit our lack of pace through the middle?"
And that's the thing that's missing now since we've sold Caicedo. Who is going to cover when we've loaded the box, but lost the ball and there's overloads everywhere? What can make an impossible looking tackle? Who has the pace and fitness to sprint from box to box for 90 mins for a season of RDZ football.

It's not the game of Gilmour, Gross or Dahoud. But to drop 2 of those seems hard to imagine at the moment.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Is that true? It was the case a year ago but with Facundo on his way out, we only have Pervis and Julio as native Spanish speakers now (although I bet Igor can speak Spanish and I believe Milner does).
I did hear several years ago during the Poyet era there was a campaign within the club to encourage Spanish speaking with free lessons to all staff (in order to welcome overseas players). I'm sure there will continue to be a knock on effect of this. Let's not forget Calderón has returned to the club too and he'll no doubt make all very welcome particularly the younger players. I'd also say Enrico Venturelli is perhaps one of the most unsung heroes at the club.. fluent multi lingual on the training pitch and a real motivating and inclusive team bonding character.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I did hear several years ago during the Poyet era there was a campaign within the club to encourage Spanish speaking with free lessons to all staff (in order to welcome overseas players). I'm sure there will continue to be a knock on effect of this. Let's not forget Calderón has returned to the club too and he'll no doubt make all very welcome particularly the younger players. I'd also say Enrico Venturelli is perhaps one of the most unsung heroes at the club.. fluent multi lingual on the training pitch and a real motivating and inclusive team bonding character.
Yup Enrico is clearly a vital cog. Absolutely loved those early videos of him shouting at the bench translating for RDZ. He seems equally as brilliant and nuts.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It would be a very different NSC if Wolves hadn’t missed all their chances, Potter style, at the weekend. They had enough decent shots to claim a draw. Caicedo stopped that sort of thing last season.

We are absolutely desperate for a proper DM to protect the back 4. If these boys don’t hit the pitch running, Newcastle will pull us apart in a few weeks.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
And that's the thing that's missing now since we've sold Caicedo. Who is going to cover when we've loaded the box, but lost the ball and there's overloads everywhere? What can make an impossible looking tackle? Who has the pace and fitness to sprint from box to box for 90 mins for a season of RDZ football.

It's not the game of Gilmour, Gross or Dahoud. But to drop 2 of those seems hard to imagine at the moment.

Dahoud may not be the paciest but according to the stats, he can run all day.

One of his ex-coaches said “He can run all day — 13 to 14 kilometres in a game. He’s one of the best runners, in terms of maximum distance, in the whole of the Bundesliga.”

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Dahoud may not be the paciest but according to the stats, he can run all day.

One of his ex-coaches said “He can run all day — 13 to 14 kilometres in a game. He’s one of the best runners, in terms of maximum distance, in the whole of the Bundesliga.”

Yes, which is a similar quality to Gross. Both players with obvious qualities but is it the best partnership?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports