Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Delph

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
If we're never going to pay salaries like that, in this evolving football landscape, then it suggests we're never going to progress beyond being, at best, a relegation candidate in this division. If that's the case, we may as well all just give up and go home now. Or at least back to the Championship where our lack of ambition deserves to be.

I suspect we will have a wage structure in place at the club and it will increase over time if we establish ourselves in the Premier League. The wage that Delph will be looking for will probably be too high for us at this time, but you are right that we will need to be paying these sort of wages soon to start attracting the players at the next level.

I guess it will also depend on what other wages our current big earners are on, bringing in Delph on 'double' what Dunk, Duffy etc.. are earning could upset the apple cart and start a chain reaction of wage hikes for lots of other players at the club.

A gradual progression should reduce the impact of that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did I say that? It was you that chucked a stupid cliche out. But even you surely can't deny that the best clubs pay the highest wages and the best clubs tend to, consequently, attract the best players and win the most trophies?

If we're never going to pay salaries like that, in this evolving football landscape, then it suggests we're never going to progress beyond being, at best, a relegation candidate in this division. If that's the case, we may as well all just give up and go home now. Or at least back to the Championship where our lack of ambition deserves to be.

Saying all that, I'd take Delph if it was possible and the money was right. He's a good player, a leader, a winner and we need as many good players with these characteristics as we can get.

You talk sense. TB has decided to go off piste with his strategy, it could be a stroke of genius it could be the cheapskate but sensible (probably) way of doing it that ends badly. We’ll be finding out.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Did I say that? It was you that chucked a stupid cliche out. But even you surely can't deny that the best clubs pay the highest wages and the best clubs tend to, consequently, attract the best players and win the most trophies?

Saying all that, I'd take Delph if it was possible and the money was right. He's a good player, a leader, a winner and we need as many good players with these characteristics as we can get.

We are Brighton, not Man City. Maybe I enjoy 'chucking stupid clichés out'. We were very fortunate to stay up last season, and need to develop, I agree. But slowly, steadily and sensibly. Not by buying journeymen big boys' cast offs.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I suspect we will have a wage structure in place at the club and it will increase over time if we establish ourselves in the Premier League. The wage that Delph will be looking for will probably be too high for us at this time, but you are right that we will need to be paying these sort of wages soon to start attracting the players at the next level.

I guess it will also depend on what other wages our current big earners are on, bringing in Delph on 'double' what Dunk, Duffy etc.. are earning could upset the apple cart and start a chain reaction of wage hikes for lots of other players at the club.

A gradual progression should reduce the impact of that.

Absolutely. And I was never saying we should sign Delph (or any other player) no matter what wage he requested, merely that he's a good player that would improve us if we could get him for a reasonable wage. However, I also don't agree with the assertion from the other poster than players on big wages are necessarily journeymen players who wouldn't improve us. That statement is absolute nonsense.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We are Brighton, not Man City. Maybe I enjoy 'chucking stupid clichés out'. We were very fortunate to stay up last season, and need to develop, I agree. But slowly, steadily and sensibly. Not by buying journeymen big boys' cast offs.

Hasn't Delph played for three clubs in his career? That's hardly a journeyman player. And he would improve us if we could get him for a decent wage because he's better than any of our other midfielders at present.

That doesn't make him the right signing necessarily nor does it mean he would fit into our structure. I've no idea about those things to be honest as I've no insider info. The only thing I take issue with is your original post as it's blatantly not true regarding players on bigger wages.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Davy Propper > Fabian Delph.

It's an enormous no from me, looks perfectly adequate in a world class team but is he himself someone who would add something to our team? Not convinced.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Davy Propper > Fabian Delph.

It's an enormous no from me, looks perfectly adequate in a world class team but is he himself someone who would add something to our team? Not convinced.

TBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here