Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup Winners should go into Champions League

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
That would do nothing to increase the standing of the FA Cup, though.

Would'nt do it any harm as clubs have no interest in the Europa league, They could do with increasing the prize money for winning the FA Cup as well.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Makes a mockery of the CL by doing that. Champions league really should be the cream of the crop, not a Championship side scraping a lucky 1-0 in the final. Besides, if we did manage to win the FA cup and get into Europe (under your hypothetical suggestion) it would more than likely hinder a first season in the PL and our survival in that league.

Oh the irony of this comment. Champions league is a mockery. A self serving, keep the money for the big clubs, feck the rest of you even if it means the whole football structure outside the top four will eventually collapse in debt, champions plus their mates, preamble to a breakaway European league, mockery.

Staggered that a fan of a club not in that cartel could be so naive.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
but this club is always bigger and has a much better team than most of the 1st place clubs in many other countries.

It's the champions bloody league for Christs sake. Not a "my dad's bigger than your dad" competition. If it's just about how big your c0ck is then let's involve a few large South American clubs too. The competition has been stolen by European largest clubs as a way to cream off the bulk of the tv revenue. You seem to think that's ok.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Or how about the FA Cup winners gets 4 bonus League points, the team that finishes as runners-up gets 3 bonus points, teams knocked out at semi-final stage get 2, those at quarter final stage 1?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
It's the champions bloody league for Christs sake. Not a "my dad's bigger than your dad" competition. If it's just about how big your c0ck is then let's involve a few large South American clubs too. The competition has been stolen by European largest clubs as a way to cream off the bulk of the tv revenue. You seem to think that's ok.

no, i dont - i just dont see why slovenian champions with 4,000 crowds in a league of 10 half-professional clubs, should take the place of say Arsenal who finish 2nd by 1 point.

Just look at the european world cup qualifiers.....most games not worth watching.

My ultimate gig is to have a european league - one or two rounds of home and away games a month....with around 20 teams - with no automatic reason to re-enter each season (e.g possibly a new 19 teams each year, but the winners qualify as defenders, and the final in their country for added reason to defend it).

.....and the cup winners cup returns, and the Europa league / Uefa cup is binned. And the UK League cup is binned.

You used to get the amazing cup teams who would win the CWC, and average in the league.....now those teams are gone.

Now we have this stupid format Champions League where a team is a league team and a cup team too.....and can miss playing the best (due to an unlucky night or poor ref) and still be crowned "winners."

I would also scrap the world cup and have a 5 division world league - two games a month....with play offs / promotion / relegation etc...

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Makes a mockery of the CL by doing that. .

That happened when they stopped just having the champs from each country. It's called the Champions League and that's what it should be.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Would'nt do it any harm as clubs have no interest in the Europa league, They could do with increasing the prize money for winning the FA Cup as well.

They'd have no interest in this either.

Increasing prize money wouldn't work. The FA Cup is never going to be worth enough to justify clubs prioritising it over fighting for a place in the CL or preserving a place in the PL.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Makes a mockery of the CL by doing that. Champions league really should be the cream of the crop, not a Championship side scraping a lucky 1-0 in the final. Besides, if we did manage to win the FA cup and get into Europe (under your hypothetical suggestion) it would more than likely hinder a first season in the PL and our survival in that league.

Would we get automatic promotion for winning the FA Cup as well then?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
They'd have no interest in this either.

Increasing prize money wouldn't work. The FA Cup is never going to be worth enough to justify clubs prioritising it over fighting for a place in the CL or preserving a place in the PL.

So rather than just disagreeing with other people's ideas have you got any of your own for improving the standing of the FA Cup?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I'd rather see a return to the European Cup Winners Cup I always enjoyed that competition.

so did I,but I think it was because the Final was a one off played at a neutral ground

whereas the UEFA Cup Final was played over two legs

sadly the FA Cup is now held in the same regard as the League Cup was before

it's a relentless march to making some sort of European Super League

which won't work either,most fans don't turn out in there masses if theyr'e not winning

remember there being more Newcastle fans in the Nou Camp than Barca,because it meant nothing

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

I think the point that is being Made is that if a champions league place was up for grabs the so called bigger clubs would make more of an effort to win it. That way the likes of Wigan more than likely wouldn't get anywhere near the final.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This seasons winners could use the FA cup as passage to the Champions league. Win the cup this year, enter the Europa league next and if you win that you are in the Champions League which makes Soton's situation yesterday even more ridiculous. They have no chance of qualifying for the CL in the foreseable future based on league performance so why not go down the FA/Europa Cup route?

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I wouldn't necessarily give a place in the Champions League to the winners, but scrapping the Europa League in its present format would certainly remove a barrier to teams wanting to win the cup. It's obvious that a lot of teams positively fear having to play in the competition, and who can blame them? I'd agree with bringing back the Cup Winners' Cup, and going back to a straight knockout UEFA Cup as well. Clearly none of this will happen, though.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Oh the irony of this comment. Champions league is a mockery. A self serving, keep the money for the big clubs, feck the rest of you even if it means the whole football structure outside the top four will eventually collapse in debt, champions plus their mates, preamble to a breakaway European league, mockery.

Staggered that a fan of a club not in that cartel could be so naive.

Spot on. The idea that a team that finishes 4th in their national league then goes on to win the Champions league? Now that really is a mockery.

Last edited:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

So we are going to win the fa cup and get promoted to the premier league???

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I wouldn't necessarily give a place in the Champions League to the winners, but scrapping the Europa League in its present format would certainly remove a barrier to teams wanting to win the cup. It's obvious that a lot of teams positively fear having to play in the competition, and who can blame them? I'd agree with bringing back the Cup Winners' Cup, and going back to a straight knockout UEFA Cup as well. Clearly none of this will happen, though.

Tend to agree but would also prefer a straight knock out European cup no seeding and not over 2 legs but you can be sure that will never happen!!

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Tend to agree but would also prefer a straight knock out European cup no seeding and not over 2 legs but you can be sure that will never happen!!

I'd prefer all European tournaments to be straight knockouts as well, although I liked the two leg format. But as you say, never going to happen.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Is it held is disregard? The big teams have started taking it a bit more seriously now (when was the last time one of the 'big 4' wasn't in the final? Pompey v Cardiff?) Yes some teams make changes but the fact is that s lot of the secong string teams can still beat a lot of the others. If you really want to make the FA Cup worth winning to everyone then you need to make winning it worth while to the clubs, through prize money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here