Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup to trial allowing a 4th substitute

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed

Not really, you can only use the fourth substitution in extra time, if you've already made your 3 substitutions in normal time.

I still see no reason why a coach should have the option of changing nearly half the team during a game.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Bad idea , for the reasons already stated. It was great when just one sub was permitted.... Remember when Eddie Spearit had to go in goal because the 'keeper got injured?

It made life exciting.

As did having a goalkeeper (Bert Trautmann) play nearly 20 minutes of a cup final with a broken neck - oh, scrub that, not such a good thing to mention!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have no problem with this. I do think teams should be banned from making substitutions in the last five minutes of a match. No subs from 85 minutes
Let them carry on, just make sure the ref adds plenty of time for it. There could be over 5 mins of injury time, and you're down to 10 men so you need to make a sub. Just make sure that teams can't use it to waste time (by adding on at least as much time as the sub takes).

Stumpy Tim

Let them carry on, just make sure the ref adds plenty of time for it. There could be over 5 mins of injury time, and you're down to 10 men so you need to make a sub. Just make sure that teams can't use it to waste time (by adding on at least as much time as the sub takes).

I know it's seen as time-wasting, but the real problem is interrupting the flow of the game. That's more of a problem than anything else

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think you should be allowed to use all 4 remaining subs, make it 15-a-side like a massive playground match, 29 players in the box at corners.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On a slightly different subject, teams in the Eredivisie will be allowed to name 12 substitutes this season.

Can still only use 3, but more to choose from. Logic is that it will help develop young players. I can't see how having a whole team on the bench, with 9 of them not getting a kick is going to improve the game.

clearly more chance to get a kick if they are available on the bench than if they are not in the 5. i think this is a really good idea, unlike the 4th sub which seems a bit pointless (one player can be fitter for both teams in extra time)

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Makes sense to me. It's an extremely fast paced game nowadays and given that extra time elongates the game by 30 mins (one third) another sub seems perfectly reasonable.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Another chance for a team to slow the game down.

Soon we will be getting timeouts as well. :(

Not to mention four quarters instead of two halves :jester:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
It would have given us a chance in the play offs. So I'm in as long as it's extended to regular time in 'post-season' games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not saying you need to make a sub every minutes, I'm saying you're designated 3 subs over 90 minutes, it makes sense to have one extra sub for an extra 30 minutes.

I honestly don't see why that should need to be the case, 3 really should be plenty. But if you don't mind sitting around while potentially 8 separate substitutions are made during the course of a match that's gone into ET, then then I guess that's your lookout. Might need to keep an eye on the train times through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here