JFC
Ince
Crofts
Towell
Manu

Manu
Hemed

Radical 3-5-2

Ooh you little beauty! I'd forgotten all about Towell for a while there. Can't wait to see what he has to offer.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Clearly some of our players are running on empty. Rest those that need it, play those that need games. If Baldock, Lualua and Greer have recovered sufficiently then they should play. Towell and Ridgewell should start if fit I'd have thought. Goldson is obviously pencilled in....well there's a start! Something like this maybe....

Stockdale

Calderon-Greer-Goldson-Ridgewell

Manu-Crofts-Towell-Lualua

Hemed-Baldock​

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
What would you prefer - Full strength or rest key players?

Personally I'd try to rest as many key players as possible and concentrate on the league, although I appreciate with an injury list as long as your arm that may be easier said than done.

Normally I don't buy all that players are tired stuff, but in our current circumstances a lot of ours really look like they're starting to feel it ( Kayal and Stephens in particular).
The injuries, having to fight for the full 90 minutes because of not putting games to bed, and the games coming thick and fast over the Christmas period - time to try and protect what players we can I think next Saturday.

There will be no first team players except KLL and Baldock and probably the two new signings just to get game time (for some or all of the game).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Better be a good one as going to Hull and back

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It could provide a good opportunity to ease returning injured players back into first team action, give new signings game time, and potentially give some development squad players a sniff of the first team, see how they respond.

Goalkeeper: Maenpaa (seems to be standard to make him our cup keeper for the early rounds, at least)

Defence: If Greer is fit, give him a bit of game time to get back into the swing of things, and give Goldson a chance with him. While Goldson got the own goal today, I think picking him again gives him a chance to get it out of his system, and takes Dunk out the spotlight.

Full backs are a little trickier. Both Calderon and Bruno need a break. We have Ridgewell coming in. His experience may let him play on the right, leaving the left berth for Chicksen. However, if we intend to sell Chicksen, we'd be better to not cup tie him. So, might be a spot there for the development squad player to fill a gap (probably on the right, with Ridgewell on the left).

Midfield: Kayal and Stephens should probably get a bit of a rest. Crofts should probably be in there, assuming he hasn't had bad reactions to his game time since returning from injury. I think JFC would probably be next in the pecking order, with Ince seemingly falling out of favour recently. Holla might make up a three man midfield to protect the youth/inexperience at the back/lack of attacking options.

Our wing options are to continue with Murphy, who has been a bit off form, and might need a rest or play an attacker out wide. It might be a chance to see Manu start.

Forward: Probably too much to ask Zamora to play it from the start. If we're allowed, probably Wilson and Hemed.

Bench - Tilley? Harper? Kayal, Stephens, Ince, Ankergren, Returning Lualua?

Good post. I would also bring in some youth up front and rest the mian guys

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Maenpaa
Calderon
Goldson
Dunk
Ridgewell

Monakana
Ince
Forster-Caskey
Towell
Manu

Akindayini

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Maenpaa
Calderon
Goldson
Dunk
Ridgewell

Monakana
Ince
Forster-Caskey
Towell
Manu

Akindayini

Something like that is not a bad idea, but I wouldn't want to risk Dunk getting a stupid card, yellow or red, so I'd go for Greer or the German if he's fit (though I'd be tempted to start Dallison if we've got him - is he still with us or on loan?) I'd probably go for Tilley rather than Monakana and maybe Ward (though wasn't he injured?) Fair enough to keep Calderon, as he should really only be a back up player now. I'd have Baldock and Lua Lua on the bench and probably Greer if he doesn't start and Crofts.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Every year for the past umpteen years I have said put out our best team in the FA Cup and try and win it.

However his year I say put out whatever we can get away with, a mixture of youth l, reserve players and players that need games. Pretty sure Hull will do the same as well. Who knows we might still sneak through?

I say this not because I view the league as more important but because we are so hit by injuries that we have no choice. It ought also be useful to see how the fringe players get on, especially the likes of Harper.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I personally would put the development squad out for the FA cup in its entirety. All starting eleven and subs.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Development squad + new signings + injured players coming back to fitness.. More important things to worry about this year and the time off for the first team will be a blessing.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Something like that is not a bad idea, but I wouldn't want to risk Dunk getting a stupid card, yellow or red, so I'd go for Greer or the German if he's fit (though I'd be tempted to start Dallison if we've got him - is he still with us or on loan?) I'd probably go for Tilley rather than Monakana and maybe Ward (though wasn't he injured?) Fair enough to keep Calderon, as he should really only be a back up player now. I'd have Baldock and Lua Lua on the bench and probably Greer if he doesn't start and Crofts.

My thinking was it gives Greer an extra few days rest from his injury so he's ready to start at Rotherham on the Tuesday night.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Maenpaa

Ridgwell
Greer (if not fit, Chicksen at LB, Ridgwell CB)
Goldson
Calderon

JFC
Crofts
Towell
Lua Lua

Manu
Harper

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Clearly some of our players are running on empty. Rest those that need it, play those that need games. If Baldock, Lualua and Greer have recovered sufficiently then they should play. Towell and Ridgewell should start if fit I'd have thought. Goldson is obviously pencilled in....well there's a start! Something like this maybe....

Stockdale

Calderon-Greer-Goldson-Ridgewell

Manu-Crofts-Towell-Lualua

Hemed-Baldock​

I think that is a pretty good guess at the team. Dont see the point of putting new players in along side a team of reserves. Surely you want them to get game time with at least some of the players they will be playing with in the league? Rest some by all means but put out a decent side. Only change I might make from team above is put the Finn in goal to give Stockdale a break.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Maenpaa
Calderon Goldson Dunk Ridgewell
Van La Parra Towell Ince Harper
Hemed Wilson​

I'd keep some of the players in the team because for some players they need a run of games to get up to fitness and personally, I think that Hemed is that kind of guy who needs to keep playing to keep sharpness. Ince needs a run of games to get back to his best, but he won't get them because Stephens and Kayal are far superior. Ridgewell will need games, as will Towell. Even if Baldock is fit, I wouldn't bother with him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maenpaa
Hemed Wilson​

I'd keep some of the players in the team because for some players they need a run of games to get up to fitness and personally, I think that Hemed is that kind of guy who needs to keep playing to keep sharpness. Ince needs a run of games to get back to his best, but he won't get them because Stephens and Kayal are far superior. Ridgewell will need games, as will Towell. Even if Baldock is fit, I wouldn't bother with him.

I'd leave Wilson out, give him as much time to recover as possible, he's utterly spent at the moment. Replace with Balders if he's fit to play. Maybe give Elvis a full game as well.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Maenpaa
Hemed Wilson​

I think this might be close but would prefer to give Elvis a run instead of Wilson, and have LuaLua on bench to come on at some stage. Just bought my ticket (£15, good price) and am looking forward to seeing our new signings play.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maenpaa
Hemed Wilson​

Have we still got VLP?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here