Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA Cup Semi- Final Build up #Brighton not under the radar & in the news thread.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That vid brings tears to my eyes

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Some great articles about us and our climb from the gutter to the stars, we are so lucky.
Maybe post all links here.

From the BBC

FA Cup semi-finals: The inside story of Brighton's incredible escape from disaster​

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
So from under the radar, to it won't last in the space of a few weeks.
Gotta love the media, they really do not like anyone challenging the elite do they....

Sad really, they can't let us enjoy our day in the sun, can they.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Guardian's 10 talking points about the weekend mentions that Dunk is the only survivor from the team that played City in our last semi final in 2018/19. https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend.

Just had a look and he's actually the only one left from the whole squad. I forgot that both Solly and Pascal were injured and missed out despite the former's accidental goal getting us to penalties in the QF.

Of the rest, Matt Ryan is in the Eredivisie, as is Jahanbakhsh; Bernardo back in Austria; Montoya on the bench at Real Betis; Stephens, Murray, Bruno and Izqueirdo have all retired; Bong may follow as he's 34 and without a club; Propper has retired, unretired and very sadly done his cruciate, Knockaert's still under contract to Fulham, but on loan at Huddersfield. Button is in the Championship too with WBA; Andone is also in the second tier, but in Spain; Locadia has just added Iran and China to his collection of passport stamps. From the 18, only Dunk, Burn, Duffy and Bissouma are still playing in the EPL in 2022/23, and two of them spend a lot of time on the bench, Shane only playing 4 times and Yves averaging 25 minutes a game for Spurs.

A lot changes in six years, but, in comparison, from the City squad that day, of the eight that have left, only two weren't playing top tier European football for a team competing in the ECL or Europa League in 2022/23: 37 year old Fernadinho's gone home to Brazil & Murcic will be back in the EPL next year, having just got promoted with Burnley. Sterling's at Chelsea, Jesus - Arsenal, Otamendi - Benfica, D Silva - Real Sociedad, Danilo - Juventus, Sane - Bayern Munich. Eight of the ten still at City will probably be in their squad for this weekend's other semi. Only Mendy and Foden are unlikely to feature. Foden obviously would if he was fit.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Some great articles about us and our climb from the gutter to the stars, we are so lucky.
Maybe post all links here.

From the BBC

FA Cup semi-finals: The inside story of Brighton's incredible escape from disaster​

I’m sure I read somewhere that that year was the only year that goals scored took precedence over goal difference and so we stayed up. Fate or what?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They had a nice pub in Mellor, I remember that. Quite a few reporters there that day. I got nobbled for a quote that appeared in the Sunday Mirror. They were well disposed towards us. Most of the press seemed genuinely interested in what was happening.

Archer wasn't in.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Must be lovely seeing your rivals celebrated and fawned over endlessly
"A fan handcuffed themselves to one of the goal posts," says Steve Gritt. "It was my first game and there was graffiti about me scrawled all over the walls."

Attachments

• Gritt Believes.JPG
    Gritt Believes.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 35

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Must be lovely seeing your rivals celebrated and fawned over endlessly
Happened in reverse when Palace were the “team of the eighties” Except it turns out they weren’t, it was very short lived :smile:

In fairness we can’t keep getting better at the rate we have, we’ll be beating Real Madrid in the CL Final in a couple of years if it does. Almost as laughable as last season‘s “top ten” aim :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here