Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FA Cup quarter-finals

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One lower league side left in the cup and Man U draw them. Hot balls !
With City and Chelsea being the other 2 possible teams drawn I can't help thinking that was written before the draw and the team was then retrofitted.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Christ no

Thank God Liverpool have ben knocked out; it would have been unbearable had they ultimately reached the Final. Klopp's only been there 7 years but the media narrative would have ben unrelentingly all about him and the FA KLOPP Final etc.
This.

The Klopp wankfest is already enormous (there are people on Twitter posting eulogies and poetry). The only way to save humanity from it is for them to go out of the Europa League and finish third in the EPL.

🤢

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes this. Said immediately he took his shirt off that he was gone. However, in what world do you have to leave the field after a bit of gamesmanship and then celebrating an absolutely iconic goal but not when you full on assault Pascal Gross while playing for Fulham?
And let’s not forget the stonewall red when we played Liverpool on Fergie. That somehow VAR looked at for 5 minutes. I can imagine the discussion it’s a definite red, I know although Klopp will moan all week about us and it’s only Brighton.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes this. Said immediately he took his shirt off that he was gone. However, in what world do you have to leave the field after a bit of gamesmanship and then celebrating an absolutely iconic goal but not when you full on assault Pascal Gross while playing for Fulham?
So you think he shouldn't have been given the second yellow? Not sure why 'whatabout something else' is relevant here. Apologies if I'm failing to follow an obvious narrative. It can happen :wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
So you think he shouldn't have been given the second yellow? Not sure why 'whatabout something else' is relevant here. Apologies if I'm failing to follow an obvious narrative. It can happen :wink:
No, by the letter of the law he had to go.

The law is an ass. Frankly, if you want to celebrate a goal like that by getting your Johnson out it should be ok. Doubt he'll ever get another one as important. But in general booking players for taking off a shirt to celebrate is silly, petty and joy sucking. But then these people came up with VAR.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

The law is an ass. Frankly, if you want to celebrate a goal like that by getting your Johnson out it should be ok. Doubt he'll ever get another one as important. But in general booking players for taking off a shirt to celebrate is silly, petty and joy sucking. But then these people came up with VAR.
Surely he's the ass in this story. There are few more widely understood rules in football than 'Take of your shirt, you get a yellow'

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Agree with this - especially as in the scenario yesterday where it meant a second yellow and off. Feels massively harsh in a sport where goals are such a precious commodity and cause such an adrenalin rush.

I believe the ruling was originally brought in to prevent / punish players removing shirts to display under-shirts with political messaging on them? If the player taking their shirt off isn't doing it to make a political statement then just crack on, feels sensible.

Last edited:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Players do this shirt waving thing for a reason. They know very well they will get a yellow card and are quite adept at the timing of these things. He did it to make himself the centre of attention and all the talk is about him getting sent off for celebrating. It’s a quite calculated reaction imo. Either that or he’s thick.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This.

The Klopp wankfest is already enormous (there are people on Twitter posting eulogies and poetry). The only way to save humanity from it is for them to go out of the Europa League and finish third in the EPL.

🤢

FFS talk about exceptionalism.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Surely he's the ass in this story. There are few more widely understood rules in football than 'Take of your shirt, you get a yellow'
I'll pretty much guarantee that in that moment he wasn't thinking of anything. The adrenaline had taken over and he'd probably forgotten he was on a yellow. Once the shirt's off it's too late. As a rational neutral watching the game I knew he was off straight away. As much as I don't agree it should be a caution-able offence, it currently is.

Goal celebrations should, in my world, largely follow set patterns according to circumstance. Late conciliation goal in a 4-1 defeat? Manly handshake and jog back to the middle. Pulling back to 2-1 or 3-2 down with 10 mins left? Classic goal-down-retriever. Last minute equaliser? Shithouse the opposition fans. Last minute winner against your rivals in a massive match that's ebbed and flowed? Go as nuts as you want without punishment. All the rest of the time, feel free to do your trademarked celebration that you hope is going to make you the next cover star of FIFA / FC. Just don't go full Newcastle and try and combine eight celebrations into one.

Simples. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I agree with you on that. The shirt off business was deemed time wasting, but the whole goal celebration event now has transformed into community theatre and interpretative dance. With signature goal celebrations, pretty much literally. I don't think the shirt off wastes any extra time and it should not trigger a booking.

However, I think you'll find that 'these people' are the people in charge 20 years ago. Unless you deem all rule makers, in the past, now, and forevermore as one and the same, it's a bit harsh equating the shirt issue with VAR. Anyone might be forgiven for thinking you had an axe to grind ??? :lolol:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Goal celebrations should, in my world, largely follow set patterns according to circumstance. Late conciliation goal in a 4-1 defeat? Manly handshake and jog back to the middle. Pulling back to 2-1 or 3-2 down with 10 mins left? Classic goal-down-retriever. Last minute equaliser? Shithouse the opposition fans. Last minute winner against your rivals in a massive match that's ebbed and flowed? Go as nuts as you want without punishment. All the rest of the time, feel free to do your trademarked celebration that you hope is going to make you the next cover star of FIFA / FC. Just don't go full Newcastle and try and combine eight celebrations into one.

Simples. :thumbsup:
Late winner sending your team to top the group in their first ever European Excursion - jump into the crowd and dance with them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think the shirt off wastes any extra time and it should not trigger a booking.
The TIME is the most important thing, IMO. Excessively long celebrations should either trigger multiple bookings - or better still, if they extend beyond a set time (let's say a nice round ONE MINUTE), then the other team should simply be allowed to restart the game, regardless of whether the scoring team are in position.

A classic case in point, was the Roma third at the Olimpico, which they saw fit to celebrate for what felt like about 15 minutes (and was in reality about 2 and a half).

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The TIME is the most important thing, IMO. Excessively long celebrations should either trigger multiple bookings - or better still, if they extend beyond a set time (let's say a nice round ONE MINUTE), then the other team should simply be allowed to restart the game, regardless of whether the scoring team are in position.

A classic case in point, was the Roma third at the Olimpico, which they saw fit to celebrate for what felt like about 15 minutes (and was in reality about 2 and a half).
Arsenal did the same at The Amex last season.

It was noticeable, how much time they took out of the game, by extended celebrations and slow returns to position.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

The new laws and guidelines for this season cover this though. Refs SHOULD be adding on the entire time from when it went dead (in the goal) to when it kicks off again. Whether they are is, of course, debatable. They should also be booking for throwing or kicking the ball away and the only player I've seen booked for it was Pascal Gross by (I think) Madeley at Wolves, where his real offence was to not return the ball to the EXACT free kick spot.

Law 7 – The Duration of the Match

• ‘Goal celebrations’ to become a separate bullet point in the list of causes of time lost for which the referee makes allowance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here