Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup goes further downhill

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Can anyone tell me the advantage of a 'winter break', especially when the players don't have a break at all...?

I can understand it in central Europe (average daily temperatures below freezing), but we hardly have that issue here.

The advantages to players' fatigue levels, ridding themselves of niggling injuries etc. are huge, if we had a Winter break.

This trouble is, everyone knows it won't be a 'break'. it will be a chance for a bit of 'warm-weather training', taking in a 'prestigious' friendly in some faraway land.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No replays and straight to penalties after 90 minutes. Seeded draw with higher seeded team away.

No no and no. I hate seeding in any sport, it's made the league cup even shitter than it already was! If you are <insert non/lower league team here> and you make it to the 3rd round you want one of the big boys away for the pay day surely?

Can't we just keep it as it is??

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The League Cup is a source of income for the Football League that has nothing to do with the Football Association, who start their cup competition in August, how much further back do you think it should start?

The financial issue was truer historically, but even league 2 clubs field second strings in the tournament now.
I would squidge up the preliminary rounds, have the 1st round in Oct, 2nd in Nov and 3rd in Dec

I know it's not popular though!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No replays and straight to penalties after 90 minutes. Seeded draw with higher seeded team away.

A terrible idea and one that will only damage and devalue the competition

That suggestion takes even more away from the magic of the cup, the fairy-tale of a small team getting to play at a ground and against a team that their players would otherwise never get the chance to achieve in their career

It could also cost the small clubs that have a good cup run vital money as the crowd in their 6k capacity stadium (or less) against someone like Liverpool will never generate the same income as if the game was played at Anfield

Replays can also be a money-spinner and can make a big difference to lower league and non-league teams helping their survival or boosting their finances leading to a stronger squad, etc...

I doubt any of these smaller teams will want to give these opportunities up, especially just to please the 'big' clubs

No pressure from PL clubs too geat
Is it though? What proof is there really other than fan speculation?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here