Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA Cup betting - Brighton are 40/1 to lift the trophy!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
At Betfred, Corals and Ladbrokes.

Had a tenner each way (payout on reaching the final at half the odds).

A bit insulting given our top half placing but a tricky match up at West Brom. I can't see them playing Karl Ahearne-Grant or Callum Robinson. I just hope we put out a strong team at the Hawthorns.

Any other sides that look tremendous value? Arsenal @ 12/1 seems very generous given they haven't got Europe to focus on.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
At Betfred, Corals and Ladbrokes.

Had a tenner each way (payout on reaching the final at half the odds).

A bit insulting given our top half placing but a tricky match up at West Brom. I can't see them playing Karl Ahearne-Grant or Callum Robinson. I just hope we put out a strong team at the Hawthorns.

Any other sides that look tremendous value? Arsenal @ 12/1 seems very generous given they haven't got Europe to focus on.

Arsenal 14/1 with Billy Hill, which does look tempting (though they have had MUCH better results against poor & mid-table teams than the top 6). They should cruise through the earlier rounds, so a good acca addition.

It's hard to see beyond Man City (10/3), Chelsea (6/1) or Liverpool (7/1) though, hence everyone else is relatively long. If it wasn't for Chelsea's recent dip in form, I'd say they them at 6/1 is value.

Seeing as we'd likely need to get past one or two of the above, as well as navigate other rounds, I'd say 40/1 is stingy (we're normally around 7/1 just to beat City, Liverpool or Chelsea in a single game)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I never bet on tournament winners but 40/1 is probably decent in the sense that I think the chances are actually a little bit better (30-35/1?) but still very likely a chance of just wasting money.

Arsenal 12/1 is poor value.

Tonight I will be betting on City vs Swindon, probably under 4.5 goals (currently 1.66 on Bet365). Going to wait until I see the starting lineups but I simply dont think City can be bothered to stomp Swindon 0-5 or more.

But feels a bit meh right now when there is a much safer way of betting (finding out covid cases in obscure leagues before the bookies).

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Arsenal 14/1 with Billy Hill, which does look tempting (though they have had MUCH better results against poor & mid-table teams than the top 6). They should cruise through the earlier rounds, so a good acca addition.

It's hard to see beyond Man City (10/3), Chelsea (6/1) or Liverpool (7/1) though, hence everyone else is relatively long. If it wasn't for Chelsea's recent dip in form, I'd say they them at 6/1 is value.

Seeing as we'd likely need to get past one or two of the above, as well as navigate other rounds, I'd say 40/1 is stingy (we're normally around 7/1 just to beat City, Liverpool or Chelsea in a single game)

It's the luck of the draw. We can beat ANYBODY on our day and I don't think anyone would relish playing us at the moment. Arsenal's FA Cup record recently and historically has always been strong.

There is usually an unfashionable side that reaches the final every two to three years. Portsmouth, Stoke City, Wigan Athletic, Hull City and to a lesser degree, Aston Villa have savoured the special day. I did read by a poster that all those sides were cursed either in being relegated or the following season though.

But as the weather gets warmer, the dream gets stronger. 2022 could be our year. :albion:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's the luck of the draw. We can beat ANYBODY on our day and I don't think anyone would relish playing us at the moment. Arsenal's FA Cup record recently and historically has always been strong.

There is usually an unfashionable side that reaches the final every two to three years. Portsmouth, Stoke City, Wigan Athletic, Hull City and to a lesser degree, Aston Villa have savoured the special day. I did read by a poster that all those sides were cursed either in being relegated or the following season though.

But as the weather gets warmer, the dream gets stronger. 2022 could be our year. :albion:

I had completely forgotten Stoke & Hull made the final (so I looked it up). Some observations:

• You forgot Watford :)
  • Chelsea have been in 4 out of the last five finals, but only won one of them (big game bottlers?)
  • Arsenal winning 5 of the last 8 FA Cups is WAY better than I had remembered. They have also won the last 7 finals they have appeared in (not big game bottlers)
  • Man City have underperformed
  • I am surprised how little attention I have paid to the FA Cup

FA Cup.png

Maybe you're right - maybe this is our year! :albion:

(but I won't be putting money on it!)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I had completely forgotten Stoke & Hull made the final (so I looked it up). Some observations:

• You forgot Watford :)
  • Chelsea have been in 4 out of the last five finals, but only won one of them (big game bottlers?)
  • Arsenal winning 5 of the last 8 FA Cups is WAY better than I had remembered. They have also won the last 7 finals they have appeared in (not big game bottlers)
  • Man City have underperformed
  • I am surprised how little attention I have paid to the FA Cup

View attachment 143533

Maybe you're right - maybe this is our year! :albion:

(but I won't be putting money on it!)

That Arsenal were allowed to win five of the last eight indicates the decreasing status of the FA Cup IMO. The semi-finals of the FA Cup often collide a little bit with the CL semi finals and teams are going to priortiise the latter.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Tonight I will be betting on City vs Swindon, probably under 4.5 goals (currently 1.66 on Bet365). Going to wait until I see the starting lineups but I simply dont think City can be bothered to stomp Swindon 0-5 or more.

But feels a bit meh right now when there is a much safer way of betting (finding out covid cases in obscure leagues before the bookies).

That was woefully short odds.

The Albanian third division could be the way to go? Surely they'll make a rick somewhere. Low on bookings? ???

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
That Arsenal were allowed to win five of the last eight indicates the decreasing status of the FA Cup IMO. The semi-finals of the FA Cup often collide a little bit with the CL semi finals and teams are going to priortiise the latter.

Yep, I don't see us beating West Brom. Staying in the PL is far more important and we have have several hard games coming up so I doubt we will field our strongest team.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
IF we make the final ... I can afford a ticket

By laying the bet

£10 @ 40/1

:)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It’s unlikely we will win it with 2 strikers in the squad .

It’s just too big a risk to play your 2 first choice strikers in the cups .

This is why we need more choice up top . Potter may say he’s happy but a prem club should challenge in the cups and with our forward options we are limited at giving it a real go once say the quarters start

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Yep, I don't see us beating West Brom. Staying in the PL is far more important and we have have several hard games coming up so I doubt we will field our strongest team.

But neither will WBA.

Getting into the Premier League for them is the ultimate aim so it could be a tough afternoon with a very narrow win for us. Their home form in the Championship is good but if we do get through I expect the odds will be cut by a fair bit.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Arsenal have actually won 4 of the last 8 and the first two of that run was when they were still consistently finishing in the top 4 of the Premier League, it's only the last two seasons they've seriously declined but are now showing signs of challenging for the top 4 again (granted they are still a long way off City, Liverpool and Chelsea but everyone is).

You'll also find the the FA Cup semi finals normally happen around the same time as the second leg of the Champions League Quarter Finals at the start of April, the CL semi finals don't happen until the end of April/start of May.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
But neither will WBA.

Getting into the Premier League for them is the ultimate aim so it could be a tough afternoon with a very narrow win for us. Their home form in the Championship is good but if we do get through I expect the odds will be cut by a fair bit.

A few Premier League clubs knocked out and a lot still yet to play. A decent draw tomorrow and 40/1 would look great value.

Home to Kidderminster please. :)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Did you put the bet on? Be interesting to see when they offer you a cash out?

yep, got a bit carried away and stuck £20 on @40

No cash out on the bookies but there will be a market on the exchanges in due course ... But I don't want to tie up money at this point. If we make the semi I should be able to pay for a big day out by laying after the quarters.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
But neither will WBA.

Hope you put some money on your very accurate prediction :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here