Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup: BBC to bring back all-day coverage of final for 2015

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They don't appear to have scheduled the teams' coach journey from their country house hotels to Wembley - accompanied by a BBC reporter interviewing the players. That was always the best bit. Mind you probably a bit pointless these days, given that it will just be a bunch of Carlos Kickaballs wearing oversize headphones updating their Twitter feeds.

Just watched this ITV cup final build up clip from the 1998 Liverpool- Wimbledon final. Hosted by (of course) Saint & Greavsie, but more bizarrely featuring sections fronted by Jimmy Tarbuck & a slightly-pissed looking Gloria Hunniford. Plus Greavsie interviewing...er...Mike Tyson for reasons that aren't entirely clear. Marvellously obtuse stuff.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They don't appear to have scheduled the teams' coach journey from their country house hotels to Wembley - accompanied by a BBC reporter interviewing the players. That was always the best bit. Mind you probably a bit pointless these days, given that it will just be a bunch of Carlos Kickaballs wearing oversize headphones updating their Twitter feeds.

Was never the same once one club had used a chopper!!!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Just watched this ITV cup final build up clip from the 1998 Liverpool- Wimbledon final. Hosted by (of course) Saint & Greavsie, but more bizarrely featuring sections fronted by Jimmy Tarbuck & a slightly-pissed looking Gloria Hunniford. Plus Greavsie interviewing...er...Mike Tyson for reasons that aren't entirely clear. Marvellously obtuse stuff.

My lord, what does Gloria Hunniford look like?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Agreed. Also they seem to have missed having Stan Boardman making lightly racist jokes about "the Gaaaaaaaairmans"

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I saw them mention this on MOTD the other night...

•FA Cup Rewind: Classic Finals (08:30-09:30, BBC Two)
•MOTD Kickabout (09:30-10:00, BBC Two)
•FA Cup 50 Greatest Moments (10:00-12:00, BBC Two)
•Football Focus (12:10-13:00, BBC One)
•Gary Lineker on the Road to FA Cup Glory (BBC One, 13:00-14:00)
•FA Cup TOTP 2 (14:05-14:30, BBC One)
•Pointless FA Cup Special (14:30-15:20, BBC One)
•The Road to Wembley (15:25-15:55, BBC One)
•MOTD LIVE: FA Cup Final Build Up (15:55-17:15, BBC One)
•MOTD LIVE: Arsenal v Aston Villa (17:15-19:50, BBC One)

Great stuff. I'm VERY tempted to fully indulge in an all-dayer, although there's a good chance I will be in BITS by the time the game kicks off.

That or asleep.

I do like how they've put in important gaps.

•FA Cup Rewind: Classic Finals (08:30-09:30, BBC Two)
•MOTD Kickabout (09:30-10:00, BBC Two)
•FA Cup 50 Greatest Moments (10:00-12:00, BBC Two)

10 minute window for a DUMP

•Football Focus (12:10-13:00, BBC One)
•Gary Lineker on the Road to FA Cup Glory (BBC One, 13:00-14:00)

5 minute WEE stop

•FA Cup TOTP 2 (14:05-14:30, BBC One)
•Pointless FA Cup Special (14:30-15:20, BBC One)

5 minutes to nip to the shop and replenish supplies

•The Road to Wembley (15:25-15:55, BBC One)
•MOTD LIVE: FA Cup Final Build Up (15:55-17:15, BBC One)
•MOTD LIVE: Arsenal v Aston Villa (17:15-19:50, BBC One)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed. Also they seem to have missed having Stan Boardman making lightly racist jokes about "the Gaaaaaaaairmans"

Oh thank God. I searched high and low last night for evidence that this happened. I can see him in my mind, comically goose-stepping around the pitch in his hilarious Luftwaffe outfit, before tickling the players with his legendary brand of chirpy Scouse humour and extensive range of Fokker jokes, but could I find anything anywhere? Not a shred. I was starting to think I'd imagined it.

All I could locate was footage of Stan, sporting a familiar mullet, arriving at Wembley for the 1994 (?) League Cup final on Aston Villa's team coach. Apparently Ron Atkinson (surely not? :lol:) had invited him on board to ease the pre-Wembley nerves of his Villa players with a little of his trademark Great Banter.

Thank goodness somebody else remembers Stan's Cup Final days.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My lord, what does Gloria Hunniford look like?

It took a team of eight men four days to build her hair up to that height.

Big, big football fan, Gloria :lol:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
don't get me wrong,I'm all for over exposure of the FA Cup,but sadly it will have little impact on today's generation

the only way of making the FA Cup mildly special again would be

play semi's away from Wembley,plenty of good stadia up and down the country

and the winners qualify for the pre qualification of the Champions League,effectively taking the place of the team that finishes 4th in the PL

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
5.30 kick offs are the worst of all times. Do they really believe that the whole nation's householdds are all fans?

At that time I have to choose between a family meal and the game. A good meal will probably win

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Think im more excited about the Pointless special than I am about the game itself

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
5.30 kick offs are the worst of all times. Do they really believe that the whole nation's householdds are all fans?

At that time I have to choose between a family meal and the game. A good meal will probably win

Not that I'm advocating the 5.30 ko, as 3pm is infinitely preferable. But missing the FA Cup Final because of....dinner ??

If its dry I'll probably have an afternoon BBQ on the go, have the grub served up before kickoff, and just keep the coals ticking over into the evening for further scoffage. Jobs a goodun. No choices to be made, I'll just have the lot.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Oh thank God. I searched high and low last night for evidence that this happened. I can see him in my mind, comically goose-stepping around the pitch in his hilarious Luftwaffe outfit, before tickling the players with his legendary brand of chirpy Scouse humour and extensive range of Fokker jokes, but could I find anything anywhere? Not a shred. I was starting to think I'd imagined it.

All I could locate was footage of Stan, sporting a familiar mullet, arriving at Wembley for the 1994 (?) League Cup final on Aston Villa's team coach. Apparently Ron Atkinson (surely not? :lol:) had invited him on board to ease the pre-Wembley nerves of his Villa players with a little of his trademark Great Banter.

Are you mistaken? Wasn't if Freddy Starr they used to roll out on cup final day resplendent with Hitler moustache and swastika Wellington boots ?

No doubt about it cup final day was great back then what with switching between ITV and BBC from as early as 9am. And wasn't there a Friday night show hosted by Brian Moore called cunningly Who'll Win the Cup'. Always used to watch the actual match on BBC as preferred the commentary and bizarrely the pitch always looked an artificial shade of green on ITV.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The horse has already bolted on this one for me, the FA Cup fails to capture my imagination like it once did.

The only mildly interesting aspect is whether Villa can win their first trophy for 19 years. Last time Villa won the Cup was in 1957, Tim Sherwood wasn't even born.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

enjoyed that,clicked on a link at the end and they're talking about Millwall & Norwich winning the league in 1989,how times change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_7Uap8ZQrQ

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

only because they're impossible to expel.

the ****.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
don't get me wrong,I'm all for over exposure of the FA Cup,but sadly it will have little impact on today's generation

the only way of making the FA Cup mildly special again would be

play semi's away from Wembley,plenty of good stadia up and down the country

and the winners qualify for the pre qualification of the Champions League,effectively taking the place of the team that finishes 4th in the PL

The only way to make it special again would be for it to be one of the very few live games on telly like it used to be. That's the real reason it holds such great memories for many of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here