Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FA Cup attendances

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we played Crewe, there would be less than 20000 guaranteed.
Yes. We might even struggle to break 6,400 like Derby did if it was a round one game.

But I'd hope that if we played them in round 3, the club would do what it could to ensure a healthy gate of 16,000-18,000 and that I don't think enough clubs seem to care about the alarming drop off for FA Cup games.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The FA could do more to help.

You aren't allowed to give out comps to anyone let alone school children for FA Cup games as it apparently interferes with the gate money process.

Imagine if Derby had been allowed to give out 12,000 'parent and child' comps?

You clearly wouldn't have got another 24,000 through the gate, but it would have been far more than the 6,000 or so who did attend, but its also giving some kids that all important first live football experience.

Get them hooked young!

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
About time Brighton gets a home cup draw......
Tbf our last FA Cup game (that wasn't at Wembley) was at home!

I think a lot of lower league (and even Premier league fans) don't care because
1. Cost of living crisis
2. They won't win the cup anyway
3. Promotion / relegation battle is worth more
4. Not that bothered unless they get drawn against one of the glamour clubs
5. It's winter atm so it's bloody cold and rainy out there

I know I never went to FA cup games when we were in the championship and below, apart from the Arsenal home game. Just wasn't overly bothered by it all.

If they included it in STs, there will be a backlash of some sort because fans like to have the option. I think Man United and maybe Arsenal did it (or still do it, not sure) and forced people to pay for the home cup games regardless of if they wanted to go or not. And if we did it like a europa pack type thing, it's impossible to judge because you don't know how many, if any, home games you're gonna get then the club have to deal with that from an admin perspective.

The way we do it, the ones who want to go can go, the ones who don't can save a bit of money.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
If we played Crewe, there would be less than 20000 guaranteed.
Yeah...
Crewe is a bit of a strange one. Nice little ground in the middle of town, good parking everywhere, next door to the station, 2 or 3 decent pubs close by, yet the attendance is poor.
Last time I went, against local rivals Port Vale, I'm sure the home supporters were outnumbered.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
To put the question another way, why should the attendances be high?

There is so much football, why should fans shell out for another game in a competition that for the majority of clubs and fans holds very little interest for 95% of the season.

I actually think the FA and media do a very good job of promoting it but if the interest isn’t there from punters what can you do?

I’m 41 and have always been a massive football fan so I grew up on my dad’s stories of 1983, the all day cup final stuff and Wimbledon/Hereford history etc but to be honest, and I know this isn’t a popular opinion on NSC, personally I find the FA Cup dull and an unnecessary distraction and I did when we were shit too.

Grimsby was fun last year but I didn’t make an effort to get semi final tickets and sacrilege as it is to say it here, I would take league success and Champions League qualification over an FA Cup win as I enjoy the CL a lot more as a competition. When so many other fans feel the same, which they do, low attendances are to be expected.

I’m ready for the pelters! 😂

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
They're popular when it's a smaller team against a Premier team: look at the crowd at the Amex from Grimsby or Coventry in recent years. Equally, though, there was that cold night when we played Palace.

Hopefully getting rid of replays in all the rounds will improve things. Much better to have one match with a guaranteed result.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
They're popular when it's a smaller team against a Premier team: look at the crowd at the Amex from Grimsby or Coventry in recent years. Equally, though, there was that cold night when we played Palace.

Hopefully getting rid of replays in all the rounds will improve things. Much better to have one match with a guaranteed result.

Not for the smaller teams e.g Horsham this week

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
People tend to concentrate on the negative when it comes to attendances however taking just Cray Valley and Horsham as examples, in one match they’ve had a TENFOLD increase in attendance and with TV money, merchandise and a general knock on this’ll sort them for a good few seasons.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The FA have Devalued the competition.
Unfortunately it’s not just the cup though, in a certain way live football has been devalued.

There is simply too much of it on TV now, I like Chilli Con Carne but I couldn’t eat it 7 days a week🤷‍♂️

The horse has well and truly bolted so it’s never going to return to an acceptable level again.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Unfortunately it’s not just the cup though, in a certain way live football has been devalued.

There is simply too much of it on TV now, I like Chilli Con Carne but I couldn’t eat it 7 days a week🤷‍♂️

The horse has well and truly bolted so it’s never going to return to an acceptable level again.
That's so true. It is worth (re)stating that back in the old days the FA Cup final was the ONLY live, televised domestic club match. Now they are almost literally ten-a-penny. And it wasn't just a match of course, if was a whole televised daily event that started in the morning with footage of the players having their breakfasts in their hotels. The cachet of it being the only live game and being such a national event percolated down through the early rounds.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I prefer the German model where the first big round is seeded so that a 'small team pot' side is drawn at home against a 'big team pot' side. You always get giant killings and it ensures money for the smaller club.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To put the question another way, why should the attendances be high?

There is so much football, why should fans shell out for another game in a competition that for the majority of clubs and fans holds very little interest for 95% of the season.

I actually think the FA and media do a very good job of promoting it but if the interest isn’t there from punters what can you do?

I’m 41 and have always been a massive football fan so I grew up on my dad’s stories of 1983, the all day cup final stuff and Wimbledon/Hereford history etc but to be honest, and I know this isn’t a popular opinion on NSC, personally I find the FA Cup dull and an unnecessary distraction and I did when we were shit too.

Grimsby was fun last year but I didn’t make an effort to get semi final tickets and sacrilege as it is to say it here, I would take league success and Champions League qualification over an FA Cup win as I enjoy the CL a lot more as a competition. When so many other fans feel the same, which they do, low attendances are to be expected.

I’m ready for the pelters! 😂
Those pelters never really arrived.

Attendances should be higher because the FA Cup IS still a major trophy despite the fact that the FA have allowed Premier league and UCL money to marginalise it. They haven't lobbied to allow cup winners into the UCL. Why not? This surely affects other countries too. They also allowed the country's biggest club to opt out of playing in it one year. And frankly, they should have made the competition a one-off game years ago (to ease fixture congestion, allow pitches to recover). Even though people romantically like replays, I think they've had their day. It's a tough decision our drippy FA has avoided for years.

Ultimately, they've done little stem the tide.

So the reason attendances are low is that the competition has been devalued and it feels to me that the fixing that is far harder than maintaining it properly in the first place.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Those pelters never really arrived.

Attendances should be higher because the FA Cup IS still a major trophy despite the fact that the FA have allowed Premier league and UCL money to marginalise it. They haven't lobbied to allow cup winners into the UCL. Why not? This surely affects other countries too. They also allowed the country's biggest club to opt out of playing in it one year. And frankly, they should have made the competition a one-off game years ago (to ease fixture congestion, allow pitches to recover). Even though people romantically like replays, I think they've had their day. It's a tough decision our drippy FA has avoided for years.

Ultimately, they've done little stem the tide.

So the reason attendances are low is that the competition has been devalued and it feels to me that the fixing that is far harder than maintaining it properly in the first place.
I agree a Champions League place should be awarded for winning it (although 99% of the time it will be won by a time who have already qualified for it) and that replays should be scrapped.

The other controversial thing I would do though is scrap the League Cup. There is too much football played anyway, why we think we need two cup competitions in this country is beyond me. Getting rid of that will automatically boost the FA Cup as it will be THE cup competition in this country. Most nations only have one, why do we need two?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree a Champions League place should be awarded for winning it (although 99% of the time it will be won by a time who have already qualified for it) and that replays should be scrapped.

The other controversial thing I would do though is scrap the League Cup. There is too much football played anyway, why we think we need two cup competitions in this country is beyond me. Getting rid of that will automatically boost the FA Cup as it will be THE cup competition in this country. Most nations only have one, why do we need two?
Not controversial to me - I'd do exactly the same. Or alternatively, merge it with the lower league competition and make it optional entry to the clubs in the top 2 divisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here