FA Cup 1983

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B.H.A. Brady

Sussex by the Sea!
Mar 29, 2008
Sussex
Can some1 please tell me the Dates and Kick-Off Times of the Quarter Final against Liverpool and Semi-Final against Wednesday?

D

Deleted User X18H

yes Adam it was on a Sunday 2pm kick off Everton played at home on the Saturday thought
you would have remembered that!!!! at your age

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
yes Adam it was on a Sunday 2pm kick off Everton played at home on the Saturday thought
you would have remembered that!!!! at your age
Sorry but the 83 game against Liverpool was Saturday 3pm, 84 4th round at the Goldstone was sunday and live on the Big Match at 2pm thought you would know that being a Brighton fan

:lol:

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Sorry but the 83 game against Liverpool was Saturday 3pm, 84 4th round at the Goldstone was sunday and live on the Big Match at 2pm thought you would know that being a Brighton fan

It was definitely a sunday afternoon for the fifth round win at Anfield.I remember as i had a game that day (youth sunday legue)and when we finished turned the radio on just in time for Phil Neal`s missed penalty.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
If I remember correctly the Liverpool 5th round tie was the first ever FA Cup game to be played on a Sunday. To get round Sunday trading laws admission was by team sheet rather than ticket. I don't think any league games had been played on a Sunday before then either.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
If I remember correctly the Liverpool 5th round tie was the first ever FA Cup game to be played on a Sunday. To get round Sunday trading laws admission was by team sheet rather than ticket. I don't think any league games had been played on a Sunday before then either.

I think some league matches were played on a Sunday in the mid-1970s (either 73-4 or 74-5) during a miners' striker or somesuch.

Merseyside Seagull

Dec 18, 2003
Wirral
The 83 match at Anfield was on a Sunday and it was all ticket, with admission being by ticket not teamsheet.

I still have my ticket stub, number 760, which is framed along with semi final, final and final replay tickets and is on my office wall:ascarf:

D

Deleted User X18H

Iam a Brighton fan........do you feel siily??

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think some league matches were played on a Sunday in the mid-1970s (either 73-4 or 74-5) during a miners' striker or somesuch.

That is correct. During the strikes and power shortages, floodlit games were banned. Sunday laws meant you could not charged to watch a game so this was solved by joining a 'club' for 1 day or buying a programme at a highly inflated price (admission).

In those days days, nothing much happened on Sundays so the novelty saw huge crowds. There were nearly 9,000 at our 1st game, away at Cambridge, which had a fair bit of trouble.

Our 1st Goldstone game saw about 18,000, about double the average in a poor season, to see us beat Hereford.

The Liverpool game was on Sunday as Everton had also been drawn at home and were playing Spurs.

Just to add a little symetry and bring it all up to date, did i see that Cambridge beat Everton today?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports