Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Van Der Sar
Reiziger
Blind
Seedorf
de Boer
Bergkamp
Hoekstra
Winter
Witschge
*COUGH* Jordi Cruyff

Yep. TERRIBLE side.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But you've put Venables in the wrong camp. He was a superb technical, tactical manager, exactly in the Hodgson mould. Get the team properly organised defensively so that they have the freedom to attack in force with width.

I'm sure every England manager has a great plan to defend well and attack with class. Its the passionate ones that can get the team to put it into practice on the biggest stage.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'll never forget heading to the pub with my mates that sunny Saturday afternoon after we dicked the Dutch 4-1, and seeing crowds of people flooding out of every house doing exactly the same. The atmosphere in Nottingham that day was electric and I'm sure repeated across the country. Whilst accepting many of the stats thrown at me on this thread I make no apology for seeing Redknapp as the new Venables incarnate.

Redknapp is nothing like Venables. He hasn't demonstrated the tactical expertise of Venables and Spurs look like they don't know how to defend.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
poor bloke, if he gets it I bet he get's destroyed by the media/fans

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Redknapp is nothing like Venables. He hasn't demonstrated the tactical expertise of Venables and Spurs look like they don't know how to defend.
He's a cockney wide boy, and of course Passionate. What more do you need.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Its the passionate ones that can get the team to put it into practice on the biggest stage.

That sort of thinking gets Stuart Pearce or Terry Butcher a job. I'd rather have someone with some football knowledge than someone who can stand on the touchline thumping their chest - that means nothing to me.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Redknapp. 4th is higher than 5th

As a spurs fan i think hodgson was the correct choice. Redknapp has a lot of funds and has probably the best team on paper in the prem behind city and yet i feel relieved everytime we win 3 points.

As mentioned in a previous post arrys always after that next big foreign signing. He can't do that for England. Hodgson can work well with limited quality.

Ok the media wont have their darling... but f*** em

My fear is that the media will make the public turn on hodgson but my main fear is the terry, cole, lampard (uncle arry) group that seems to run any dressing room wont warm to hodgson...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It worked for him at club level, he got nervous at international level and tried to be a pragmatic manager, putting Southgate into midfield to defend 1-0 leads for example. This wasn't his strongpoint and it failed.

Exactly. So it is not automatically "the passionate ones than can get the team to put it into practice on the biggest stage."

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well if he can match or better our best World Cup on foreign soil that would be a good starting point.

Could any manager survive a repeat of Euro '88 these days? As I've said all along I don't think Roy will be a disaster. There is always that niggling 'what-if' about England though. What if they'd have given it to Clough ? What-if they'd given Venables the chance to take England to a World Cup? What-if Hoddle had just shut the f*** up about disabled people?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here