Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone Seating Recommendations Please

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
As mentioned the noise, I hope the cars running at Goodwood will be last years cars with the V8, Silverstone was great late 80s with the V12 and V10 engines (Lambo engine was one of the sweetest) Monza is a good race to do because the Italian fans but it is expensive in my opinion for what you get. I worked for many years in F1 with 7 different teams but got out even working in the sport got boring with all the regulations and the way it's a marketing and corporate event with no pit walk about for the real fans etc.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As mentioned the noise, I hope the cars running at Goodwood will be last years cars with the V8, Silverstone was great late 80s with the V12 and V10 engines (Lambo engine was one of the sweetest) Monza is a good race to do because the Italian fans but it is expensive in my opinion for what you get. I worked for many years in F1 with 7 different teams but got out even working in the sport got boring with all the regulations and the way it's a marketing and corporate event with no pit walk about for the real fans etc.

Goodwood will have a wide range from this year to way back. If you've never been it's something I'd highly recommend. It's a great day of fun and spectacle and on our doorstep!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I would certainly recommend attending an F1 Grand Prix at some point because in the flesh the cars are stunning, TV coverage does not fully convey the changes of direction and braking they are capable of, plus the noise from the engines is incredible (maybe not as much as the old screaming V12s and V10s of course, or if you are old enough the BRM V16).

These new turbo cars should be impressive at a fast track. I can recall the GP at Brands in the 80's when the turbo cars back then were also criticised for not having the sound of a racing engine but my God were they fast, even on a slower track. A digital speed trap on the pit straight just before Paddock Hill Bend showed them approaching at 195mph, which was terrifying on such a bumpy surface.

A good place to stand at Silverstone is right by the debris fence at the entrance to Copse corner which they approach at 190mph, and you can see/hear which drivers need a slight lift of the throttle before they chuck the car into the corner.

The Goodwood FoS is amazing event but you do not really see an F1 car driven in anger, however it is the closest a normal punter can get to the cars and drivers without paying a forune at a GP. If you are lucky they will demo F1 cars from the old V12/V10 era so will hear the shrill scream of a 19000rpm engine.

Finally if you do make it to Silverstone do bear in mind that the weather can be unkind and being an old airfield it can be seriously cold, even in July so do be prepared for all eventualities. Think of a February match at Withdean and you won't go wrong.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Becketts or Woodcote are best. At Becketts you get to see the cars twice a lap, once through Becketts and on to the Hangar straight and again on the slow infield section. Woodcote is usually VERY expensive but you get a great view of the cars coming down the Wellington straight, round Brooklands and Luffield corners and round the super fast Woodcote corner. Pre-book a seat or you will see nothing.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
I was going to go to Budapest this year but hasn't worked out in the end. Why is it so good though? Everyone says you can see loads as it's in a natural bowl but in any YouTube videos of grandstands I've checked out it doesn't look better than Silverstone tbh.

I go to Woodcote every year at Silverstone. See them come down the straight with all the drs overtakes and then a nice looping corner and off towards Copse. Decent amount of track and plenty of action to see.

Regards first poster. I'd suggest doing the 3 days. On Friday you can go in any grandstand but the first thing you should do is stand by the fence at the entry to Becketts. Jaw dropping. Not great to see the qualy and race there but great spot to appreciate the speed and cornering ability of an f1 car.

Always a great atmosphere in the village and campsites too. Personally I'd always do the 3 days, I don't think its possible to see everything just on race day plus the cars are only out for the race. You get more running on the other days and can walk the track checking out different spots.
Its not the fastest track, but you can walk all the way round with the track in sight all the way, its also very cosmopolitan with fans from all over Europe to have a chat with. I love it. Compare that to Abu Dhabi where I went in 2010 and you have to access the track at your gate, and you have to stay in your section. Budapest is a great GP, followed by Spa imho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here