[Other Sport] F1 2023

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Boring.
I stopped watching years ago when Coulthard stopped on the finish line to let a team mate win.
Cheating.
You just follow it online these days via threads on the internet titled things like "F1-2023"?

Hang on in there for our live comments on the Monaco procession. It'll be an absolute hoot.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Alpine car launch will be Feb 16, in London.

Also found confirmation that the AlphaTauri "livery launch" in New York will also include an online release of 2023 car images.
Bloody shame they couldn't do it in Dieppe

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Looking like it might be worth its own post now (I already updated the OP earlier this week):

2023 Chinese GP might return. There are reports that, following China's lifting of Covid restrictions, the China GP promoter has been given permission to open negotiations with F1 about returning the cancelled race to the calendar. File this one, for now, as "unlikely" as significant hurdles remain. F1 will be cautious about any potential for F1 team personnel being required to have a negative test and/or quarantine period before return to Europe (such as current UK requirements), and the circuit and track marshalls themselves must be re-certified as safe for F1 given how long it has been since a race was last held at the circuit.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Andretti Global combines with General Motors to enter F1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/64177632
We already have a Cadillac in F1..
E78BBC8A-B5B3-41C7-9DA6-E037539BA8C9.jpeg

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Andretti Global combines with General Motors to enter F1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/64177632
Boom. This explains why Mohammed Ben Sulayem tweeted about looking at opening expressions of interest for new teams earlier this week. Last year, the FIA made it very clear they were only interested in new teams if they brought new manufacturer's into the spot (or some other equally compelling new value). The Andretti name wasn't enough. Andretti + GM ... that's bingo. From here, expect to see an announcement that the expressions of interest process is open by the end of Feb at the latest, and from there I would expect an announcement that Andretti will be joining the grid within a further 3 months at the most. Andretti wants to join in 2024 and has previously said he has a deal with Renault, so could be an initial Andretti-Renault team for '24 and '25 then Andretti-GM from '26. Or could be that GM pays to badge the Renault unit.

Yes, I know the BBC article suggest no team at all until '26 at the earliest. I would think that would be a full-fledged Andretti-Cadillac entry. Andretti was talking late last year about working towards '24 as a target, but that it would need a few things to come together quickly. A lot will depend on if the FIA are up for letting them in using an existing manufacturer for 2 years.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
McLaren will do their car launch on February 13th (same day as Aston Martin). Not many details as yet (will it be the proper new car, or just a show car in the new livery?)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Williams: February 6th [Livery only, car at Bahrain test]
AlphaTauri: February 11th [Livery, New York + 2023 car images online]
Aston Martin: February 13th [Silverstone]
McLaren: February 13th [details TBC]
Ferrari: February 14th [details TBC]
Mercedes: February 15th [Silverstone]
Alpine: February 16th [London]
Red Bull: TBC
Alfa Romeo: TBC
Haas: TBC
Updated list of car launch dates. Williams announcement slipped me by, so added that after I spotted it in the article about Mercedes launching on Feb 15th.

Williams launch will be livery only, witht he car itself making its first appearance at the Bahrain test.

For Mercedes it sounds like it should be a full car launch. Will they stick with the zeropod concept, or pivot to something more like what Red Bull had last year? Or even surprise with a shift to something inspired by the Ferrari concept? It's possible we'll get some images of the car on-track prior to Bahrain testing as well - Mercedes now have history of putting the car on-track at Silverstone for a "filming day" shakedown within a day or two of the official launch.

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Blimey, I'm getting old, I remember the days when if you didn't qualify within, what was it, a percentage or set figure of the fastest car you were out.
And even before that, drivers were forced to drop their worst points score of the season in the final tally.
I think this was to allow for DNFs [a breakdown or crash] - might not be so costly in the final championship table]

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Significant announcement this morning.

Mercedes' Chief Strategist, James Vowles, will be leaving the team to take up the vacant Team Principal role at Williams.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Something big might be brewing. Or it might be nothing.

So, firstly, there's this:

The F1 Reddit channel then lit up with speculation that they'll be teaming up with Williams. The other possibility (given what they did as a one-off last season) is McLaren, but at the moment all the speculation is around Williams.

Then this landed on the Porsche Formula E Instagram channel yesterday (immediately after they pulled all their older content from the channel - this is currently the only content they have there):

Again, F1 Reddit has snapped it up. The obvious assumption to make is that they are alluding to an announcement that they will be entering Formula 1 (in what capacity remains to be seen).

The less obvious is to connect everything up. Could it be that a "Gulf Oil Williams Porsche" announcement is imminent?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Could it be that a "Gulf Oil Williams Porsche" announcement is imminent?
Rumours that the Porsche post was about them buying into Williams gained enough traction that Williams have felt the need to deny the rumours...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Something big might be brewing. Or it might be nothing.
Probably nothing. The Porsche Instagram thing turned out to be a tease that they were rebranding their Formula E channel to cover all of their motorsport activities. However they're still hinting at more to come.

There's still that Gulf Oil announcement yet to be made (no date attached to that one ... if it is a deal with Williams, it'll be next month before we hear as I bet it'll be part of the car launch).

In other news, Red Bull are now scheduled to be the first team to launch their car. They'll hold an event in New York, February 3rd.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Red Bull: February 3rd [New York]
Williams: February 6th [Livery only, car at Bahrain test]
Alfa Romeo: February 7th [Zurich]
AlphaTauri: February 11th [Livery, New York + 2023 car images online]
Aston Martin: February 13th [Silverstone]
McLaren: February 13th [details TBC]
Ferrari: February 14th [details TBC]
Mercedes: February 15th [Silverstone]
Alpine: February 16th [London]
Haas: TBC

F1 very much in the quiet before the storm (of car launches) phase at the moment. Few quick updates. As above, all teams except Haas have now announced their car launch dates.

I've also updated the OP with a few confirmed reserve driver roles.

We're now firmly into the final countdown to season 23 kick off - 10 days to go until the first new car launch (Red Bull). Unless, of course, Haas swoops in with an earlier date.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
So, today's the day when we start seeing what the 2023 grid might look like. Haas will reveal their new livery (with new title sponsor Moneygram likely to influence the design). Expect to see red, black, and white still, though. And from what we've been told, this will be livery only on an old car - we'll have to wait to see the actual 2023 car.

While we await the new Haas livery, Scarbs has a twitter thread up that's worth a look to get a summary of the rule changes for this year and the likely impact of those:

There's also strong rumours emerging that the Red Bull launch on Friday will see an official announcement that Ford will be joining them from 2026 as a partner. Exactly how that partnership will work we'll have to wait and see, but at a minimum the ICE part of the power unit will be a RBPT unit. Beyond that, everything is open - might Ford actually provide tech (the MGU?) or will they only be pumping in funding and badging a full RBPT power unit with Ford? And where does that leave Honda, who are rumoured to be wanting back into Formula 1?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here