Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t backmarkers meant to move off the racing line for the leaders?

Its an unwritten rule in F1 that they do . . . . at club level from day one you are told to hold your line, do not deviate or do anything eratic ( like Bottas did yesterday with his little blip ) It is the responibility of the faster car/driver to pass safely. The blue flags are to advise a faster car is approaching.

In reality a slower car/driver will often move aside if on a straight with space to do so. You can't just dissapear though, and you certainly don't weave or dart about like F1 drivers do.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That's a second very enjoyable race out of two for the season. I really hope it continues. Great drives from Verstappen and Norris, masterful comeback from Hamilton from a position where he was nose first in a barrier and to all intents and purposes out of the race. Spins and crashes aplenty. As long as no one gets injured I'm all for it!

Personally think Russell was at fault for his and Bottas's crash but then I'm not an expert. It looked like there was enough room for him to pass but he lost control.

There wasn't a huge amount of footage either tbf

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
I missed Sky, so just listening to Coultard etc on C4 right now. They haven’t praised that keeping the car alive and reversing out of the hellhole yet.

To me, it’s unprecedented.

I have recollections of Vettel and every other driver climbing out, punching something and storming back to the pits when it happened to them. Repeatedly.

Hamilton hasn’t crashed out of a race since 2018.
With the energy recovery systems onboard today, the driver now has the ability to restart the car if he loses all power. This wasn't the case prior to the ERS era, when cars had to be manually started by laptop by the pit crew.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
There wasn't a huge amount of footage either tbf

Yup, very little footage.

I'm in the "Racing incident" camp, however... Bottas did drift to the right. Russell (over)reacted to that movement, got his right rear on the wet stuff, and was a passenger from there on. Given how many successful passess took place along that stretch both before and after that incident, it would have been good to have better footage to be able to validate whether Russell's reaction was justified or not. As much as there was plenty of racing room (because Bottas jinked back left once he realised how close Russell was), if Bottas did make a shift to the right significant enough to cause Russell to react (in case Bottas continued to come across), then it becomes a racing incident caused by Bottas.

One thing I do disagree with Russell on 100% though: the way he handled everything post-incident was poor. First, he shouldn't have approached Bottas in the heat of the moment while he was still in the car. And second, he should have chosen his words far better when talking to the press post-race (so should Bottas though). On the latter, not because I want to censor the lad - rather because his hoped-for-future-boss was listening, and Wolff / Mercedes won't have liked what they heard.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I missed Sky, so just listening to Coultard etc on C4 right now. They haven’t praised that keeping the car alive and reversing out of the hellhole yet.

To me, it’s unprecedented.

I have recollections of Vettel and every other driver climbing out, punching something and storming back to the pits when it happened to them. Repeatedly.

Hamilton hasn’t crashed out of a race since 2018.

Not taking anything away from LH,it was a barnstorming drive for 2nd

But I think the gravel traps at Imola aren't as severe as the modern day circuits

Also was a little surprised he didn't receive some sort of penalty for reversing back onto the circuit

Mansell did that in the pits and got black flagged,OK he did only had 3 tyres on at the time :lol:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not taking anything away from LH,it was a barnstorming drive for 2nd

But I think the gravel traps at Imola aren't as severe as the modern day circuits

Also was a little surprised he didn't receive some sort of penalty for reversing back onto the circuit

Mansell did that in the pits and got black flagged,OK he did only had 3 tyres on at the time :lol:

He did it safely though, I think this just comes under the normal rules for re-entering a track once you've spun off it

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
He did it safely though, I think this just comes under the normal rules for re-entering a track once you've spun off it

Yup. Different rules for pit lane vs track proper. IIRC the drivers aren't allowed to reverse at all in the pit lane - they have to sit and wait for the team to come and push them back. Whereas out on track it all becomes a subjective "did he do it safely?" question. [Although sometimes, it seems the more accurate question is "Are the stewards in a bad mood?"]

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yup, very little footage.

I'm in the "Racing incident" camp, however... Bottas did drift to the right. Russell (over)reacted to that movement, got his right rear on the wet stuff, and was a passenger from there on. Given how many successful passess took place along that stretch both before and after that incident, it would have been good to have better footage to be able to validate whether Russell's reaction was justified or not. As much as there was plenty of racing room (because Bottas jinked back left once he realised how close Russell was), if Bottas did make a shift to the right significant enough to cause Russell to react (in case Bottas continued to come across), then it becomes a racing incident caused by Bottas.

One thing I do disagree with Russell on 100% though: the way he handled everything post-incident was poor. First, he shouldn't have approached Bottas in the heat of the moment while he was still in the car. And second, he should have chosen his words far better when talking to the press post-race (so should Bottas though). On the latter, not because I want to censor the lad - rather because his hoped-for-future-boss was listening, and Wolff / Mercedes won't have liked what they heard.

I'm surprised there wasn't more footage . . . my gut tells me Bottas moved, Russel over reacted toi that slightly, would have got away with it in the dry.

I like a bit of passion and haven't heard post incident rants. If Russel wants Bottas seat he'll have to get squaeky clean with his PR schtik and tow the line. sadly.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

Yes it must,if RB would have been all over it

I was a little worried at the time though, but the commentators never picked up on it,so I knew he was ok

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Mercedes constantly out performed at pit stops and strategy puts Bottas third.
Suddenly over 3 seconds behind Verstappen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here