Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Think its almost a given that Bottas won't be in the car next year, the problem that gives Merc this year is that as soon as they tell him that then he stops being the compliant wing man he's been up until now and starts driving for himself instead (and I think we already saw a little bit of that in Barcelona).

Not sure that'll make much difference. Apparently Bottas has admitted to press that during the off season he was considering whether or not he wanted to continue. DC mentioned that he thinks that was the wrong thing to admit in public, as it will affect the way members of the team think as well. It will surely play a part in any decision Merc might still need to make about drivers for next season. It may even be the source of the rumour that was going around suggesting Russell could even be moved in before the end of this season.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
The problem with the Lewis love boys is they only see Hamilton as a god, I see a god as a nice human being who does right to all people, not suing a watch company with the 'Hamilton name of over 100 years, just because he is so up himself that he actually believes he owns that name. There is no excusing it.

This is just one of many instances he is not a god.

On the track, he is good, as I have said many times, but many choose to ignore what I have said to fit their agenda.
But he has had a walk in the park driving the Merc at the right time. I have always acknowledged his feedback may have helped this, but they made this car for Hamilton and not the no 2 drivers.

Has he got the mental maturity and the sublime driving skills to take on someone in a competitive car where he can have NO influence, apart from bleating like a goat?

We will see....................... I just love racing
so I would not want ANY driver running away with it. Max has got an amazing cool head under pressure though, hasn't he???

I have a sneaky feeling that perhaps the Lewis love boys are the ones chewing wasps, you won't see me doing the same, as I swallow them.

I think anybody with contacts or without contacts know what he is like away from the cameras.

I said to you before it was so close you will never know, so my source screwed up. It is not all rosy behind Merc, trust me, and I know you do.

Do you love racing though, really? Hamilton has won 4 titles with Mercedes where they have been a class apart, no disputing that, the Mercs won the majority of the races. Rosberg won a 5th, mainly due to Hamilton's reliability that year. However, on his CV is also at least 3 hard fought touch and go championship wins which could easily have gone the other way, and he didn't have the faster car. He lost another tight one in his debut season due to a bad team call on tyres. He has nothing to prove to the majority of the racing world – anyone with a real passion for the sport this season is just enthralled by the battle that is unfolding.

Anyone that really loves racing knows he's had the best car for the majority of his title wins. Which F1 driver in history with multiple Championship victories hasn't had the best car? None. The best driver tends to get paid the most and gets the best seat. Period. Stretching back to the 1950s. But I tell you this as well, many drivers have had the better car and NOT won a championship, or retained one after winning it, either through the pressure, expectation, concentration, distractions etc. Whether you have the best car or not, to dominate this sport, to be still hungry, focussed, determined, 14 years after your debut season is incredible.

There are other metrics to judge Hamilton on. He hasn't always had the fastest car, 2007-13 McClaren or Mercedes weren't the fastest car. Hamilton's win percentage is 35.9%, only Fangio and Ascari have managed better than that.

Getting distracted with Daily Mail stories on Hamilton's legal battles, accounting, living arrangements or whatever else isn't someone that loves racing though. If you're distracted by the outside personality rather than what happens on the track, says a lot about what you're really interested in. Judging by your obsession with Hamilton after a great grand prix, it looks like the issue is yours rather than anyone else's.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you love racing though, really? Hamilton has won 4 titles with Mercedes where they have been a class apart, no disputing that, the Mercs won the majority of the races. Rosberg won a 5th, mainly due to Hamilton's reliability that year. However, on his CV is also at least 3 hard fought touch and go championship wins which could easily have gone the other way, and he didn't have the faster car. He lost another tight one in his debut season due to a bad team call on tyres. He has nothing to prove to the majority of the racing world – anyone with a real passion for the sport this season is just enthralled by the battle that is unfolding.

Anyone that really loves racing knows he's had the best car for the majority of his title wins. Which F1 driver in history with multiple Championship victories hasn't had the best car? None. The best driver tends to get paid the most and gets the best seat. Period. Stretching back to the 1950s. But I tell you this as well, many drivers have had the better car and NOT won a championship, or retained one after winning it, either through the pressure, expectation, concentration, distractions etc. Whether you have the best car or not, to dominate this sport, to be still hungry, focussed, determined, 14 years after your debut season is incredible.

There are other metrics to judge Hamilton on. He hasn't always had the fastest car, 2007-13 McClaren or Mercedes weren't the fastest car. Hamilton's win percentage is 35.9%, only Fangio and Ascari have managed better than that.

Getting distracted with Daily Mail stories on Hamilton's legal battles, accounting, living arrangements or whatever else isn't someone that loves racing though. If you're distracted by the outside personality rather than what happens on the track, says a lot about what you're really interested in. Judging by your obsession with Hamilton after a great grand prix, it looks like the issue is yours rather than anyone else's.

Very true, how many great footballers have you thought are complete arses, yet put that aside, you are watching an elite sportsman not putting all your energy into deriding him because you don't like him and he wouldn't be your friend. Maradona for starters.

I have absolutely zero interest in Lewis away from F1 although I think he is a great role model, warts and all

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Great post :clap2:

Very true, how many great footballers have you thought are complete arses, yet put that aside, you are watching an elite sportsman not putting all your energy into deriding him because you don't like him and he wouldn't be your friend. Maradona for starters.

I have absolutely zero interest in Lewis away from F1 although I think he is a great role model, warts and all

Does make me laugh when people (well, Mouldy) talk about Lewis off track when he's a council estate kid from Stevenage who has become the greatest driver over several different measures. Meanwhile you have Mazepin driving around at the back in a seat his daddy's money bought, breaking track rules and assaulting women. Although I can think of another difference between Lewis and Mazepin ???

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
The problem with the Lewis love boys is they only see Hamilton as a god, I see a god as a nice human being who does right to all people, not suing a watch company with the 'Hamilton name of over 100 years, just because he is so up himself that he actually believes he owns that name. There is no excusing it.

This is just one of many instances he is not a god.

On the track, he is good, as I have said many times, but many choose to ignore what I have said to fit their agenda.
But he has had a walk in the park driving the Merc at the right time. I have always acknowledged his feedback may have helped this, but they made this car for Hamilton and not the no 2 drivers.

Has he got the mental maturity and the sublime driving skills to take on someone in a competitive car where he can have NO influence, apart from bleating like a goat?

We will see....................... I just love racing so I would not want ANY driver running away with it. Max has got an amazing cool head under pressure though, hasn't he???

I have a sneaky feeling that perhaps the Lewis love boys are the ones chewing wasps, you won't see me doing the same, as I swallow them.

I think anybody with contacts or without contacts know what he is like away from the cameras.

I said to you before it was so close you will never know, so my source screwed up. It is not all rosy behind Merc, trust me, and I know you do.

Race fans enjoy the racing, you seem to be enjoying and reveling in someone's defeat rather than celebrating another's success. It's all just a bit sad that you can't see past your hatred/bitterness and have an objective opinion that most others on here can have. Max is amazing, Lewis is amazing, they both have amazing cars, just enjoy it.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
What surprised me about yesterday's race was the there were no retirements what shows a lot about the racing and how things are tuned down for money saving etc.

The Circuit Paul Ricard also has huge run off areas so driver's have plenty of safe escape options where other tracks are less forgiving.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It was a fabulous grand prix within a superb season. Some of the racing from a field full of incredible drivers has been amazing and once Lewis retires the competition for seats at the top will be incredible. Verstappen, Norris, Leclerc, Ocon, Russell, Gasly & Sainz who could all become world champions as all are young and exciting racers.

Lewis has been a fantastic driver and you don't win multiple world championships without being great. You don't have to watch much sport to see endless scenarios of young talented individuals waste their opportunity and win very little. Max will probably go on to become a multiple world champion but as long as wheel to wheel racing is continuing to take place then F1 is the winner

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Nailed it - top post.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It was a fabulous grand prix within a superb season. Some of the racing from a field full of incredible drivers has been amazing and once Lewis retires the competition for seats at the top will be incredible. Verstappen, Norris, Leclerc, Ocon, Russell, Gasly & Sainz who could all become world champions as all are young and exciting racers.

Lewis has been a fantastic driver and you don't win multiple world championships without being great. You don't have to watch much sport to see endless scenarios of young talented individuals waste their opportunity and win very little. Max will probably go on to become a multiple world champion but as long as wheel to wheel racing is continuing to take place then F1 is the winner

Do you work for Liberty Media ? :laugh:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hamilton in negotiations to sign for another year at Mercedes. Don’t they know he’s a “yesterday” man? :wink:

Russell looks to be in the frame for Bottas’ seat next year too

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Bottas manages to spin in the pit lane during FP2 :facepalm:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Lewis sounds like he is bloody loving the competition from Max this season. No complaining just an acceptance that just maybe the Red Bulls are quicker and that he has his work cut out.

D

Deleted member 2719

All set up for a humdinger tomorrow then.

Lando is looking very special.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting that Red Bull’s speed on the straights is getting quicker than Mercedes on engines that cannot be tuned during the season. Shenanigans from Honda or sour grapes from Mercedes?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Interesting that Red Bull’s speed on the straights is getting quicker than Mercedes on engines that cannot be tuned during the season. Shenanigans from Honda or sour grapes from Mercedes?

It's not engine related. Red Bull just realised that they have a downforce advantage that means they can run a skinnier rear wing for straight line advantage and still be equal in the corners.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's not engine related. Red Bull just realised that they have a downloaded advantage that means they can run a skinnier rear wing for straight line advantage and still be equal in the corners.

Well that’s what Red Bull are saying, Mercedes don’t sound convinced, but then they probably wouldn’t be. Just put me in mind of Ferrari and their increase in straight line speed a couple of years ago which they got a reprimand for even though exactly what was going on was never made public. Who knows, but I love the intrigue, back stabbing and ultra competitiveness of F1. Lewis is definitely feeling the pressure even if he says he is loving it.

Bloody loving this season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here