Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

F**k it, he's gone. How does club repair the damage?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They're not though matey. We are.

Quick question: which football club is being laughed at on some non-UK sports websites that I look at, for sacking its manager while he's appearing on telly? Brighton and Hove Albion or QPR? I'm afraid it's true. Tooting is utterly right.

Personally, I really can't see any real closure coming until Barber leaves his job and not just for having make an utter shambles of this summer, although there's certainly that. I simply think his strutting, threatening, prickly tough guy machismo is utterly ill-suited to our club and its fanbase. And I think this kind of mess could very easily happen again on his watch.
Meh. QPR were a laughing stock when Redknapp paid silly money for a below par defender like Chris Samba as well as decent strikers like Loic who proceeded to fail on Redknapp's watch. Most people have forgotten about them now though.

Which is exactly what will happen here in the next month or two if we make the right appointment. It's all very unsavoury and embarrassing, but I'm just tired of it trundling along now. As for Barber, I have never been convinced by him but lets be fair about this - this mess is almost certainly down to several key egos at the club, not just Barber.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do think though that some people underestimate the impact of stories like this on key people. Players. Potential signings. Sponsors. I wonder what Amex make of it all.

Are our better players, the ones who will have options this summer, more or less likely to stay at Brighton after the last six weeks? The same for high-quality potential signings? There is only one answer.

The only answer that I can see is that nobody knows. Once the dust has settled we'll find out. If the money is made available for players and the right man is brought in as manager I don't believe it will drive players away or stop them signing.

Your point about the sponsors is less clear I accept.

It is definitely not as cut and dried as the thread title suggests though.

Most clubs have had scandal and negative publicity, if they win on the pitch it is soon forgotten.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Most clubs have had scandal and negative publicity, if they win on the pitch it is soon forgotten.

That's possibly true, although I'd say that our chances of winning on the pitch might well have been sharply reduced by these recent unnecessary events.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Of course reputation matters. Poogate and the perception of a sacking live on TV look terrible. Embarrassing and nasty. Two things the club could easily do: 1) The club needs to show a bit of class and humility. 2) Bloom needs to do an interview re-assuring people that although it's been a difficult summer (some would say a shambolic mess) the show goes on. And the club, after missing narrowly out on promotion last season, are more determined than an ever to go up when this is sorted out etc. That's all he needs to do and we''ll be back on track.

See thread re 'Statement from Mr.Barber'.

el punal

To be honest we, the Albion faithful, are the only ones who think this debacle is a complete shambles. Fans from other clubs that I've spoken to only show mild interest. Football fans generally are very parochial and are not bothered unless it involves their local rival or impacts on their club.

If, however, you want laughing stock material try Newcastle Utd at the moment or long running Dallas-type soap opera series, how about Portsmouth's financial block busting epic.

The fact that the club has conducted this investigation behind closed doors has meant that whatever lurid details there are have been kept under wraps. I reckon we should be thankful for that.

el punal

I'd say that, up until Sunday, you'd be absolutely right. A lot more know all about us now, however, as - rightly or wrongly - the club that's crass enough to sack its manager via a TV channel. This may or may not bother you but personally, I think that's fairly shameful.

Honestly, do you really still believe that?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Of course reputation matters. Poogate and the perception of a sacking live on TV look terrible. Embarrassing and nasty. Two things the club could easily do: 1) The club needs to show a bit of class and humility. 2) Bloom needs to do an interview re-assuring people that although it's been a difficult summer (some would say a shambolic mess) the show goes on. And the club, after missing narrowly out on promotion last season, are more determined than an ever to go up when this is sorted out etc. That's all he needs to do and we''ll be back on track.

Tony Bloom interview here:

https://www.facebook.com/officialbhafc

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Give it a couple of years and Gus will be bracketed with Russell Slade , Steve Coppell , Mark McGhee and Micky Adams as ex Brighton managers who did something for the club but eventually screwed up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Jesus, there are some seriously precious posters on here. Yes it was in the headlines but does anyone in all honesty think Poyet only found out whilst on TV last night? Get a grip. As for headlines around the world, so what, tomorrow it will all be about Nadal and most people around the world who might have had a laugh at the video will move onto something else tomorrow. That's the nature of news in the 21st century.

As for the effect on players, do you think it affected anyone going to Man City. There are loads of clubs who have gone through a host of managers and still sign players. If we get the right man in with connections then this will all blow over.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Honestly, do you really still believe that?

Where did I say that believed it? It's the wider public who don't follow us as closely as I do that seem to believe it, whether people like that fact or not. It's a mess.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There really is little damage to repair IMHO. The Barber statement and Tony's video have, in my eyes, completely set the record straight, and counter-balanced Gus' command performance as a 'victim' on the telly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What's a bit shit is having the following conversation with other football supporters you know:

<Them> "I see you lot have sacked your manager. Why was that?"
<Us> "Er, I dunno, we haven't been told".

Would be nice for the conversation to go:

<Us> "Because he's a kvnt"
<Them> <Nods in agreement>

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Give it a couple of years and Gus will be bracketed with Russell Slade , Steve Coppell , Mark McGhee and Micky Adams as ex Brighton managers who did something for the club but eventually screwed up.

I don't know what point you're making - don't all managers eventually screw up, unless they get poached? You may as well bracket Mullery and Lloyd in there too.

Poyet, Adams, Mullery, Coppell, McGhee, Lloyd - all abject FAILURES as Albion managers weren't they?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I don't know what point you're making - don't all managers eventually screw up, unless they get poached? You may as well bracket Mullery and Lloyd in there too.

Poyet, Adams, Mullery, Coppell, McGhee, Lloyd - all abject FAILURES as Albion managers weren't they?

There are 3 pigeon holes , managers I've mentioned are in one group. You also have those who were utter crap (Wood , Hinshelwood etc). There is also another grouping of managers who have revered status such as Horton , Case , Gritt , Taylor (the original one) etc

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There are 3 pigeon holes , managers I've mentioned are in one group. You also have those who were utter crap (Wood , Hinshelwood etc). There is also another grouping of managers who have revered status such as Horton , Case , Gritt , Taylor (the original one) etc

Case ? Have you been drinking? Totally and utterly clueless as a manager.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Jesus, there are some seriously precious posters on here. Yes it was in the headlines but does anyone in all honesty think Poyet only found out whilst on TV last night? Get a grip. As for headlines around the world, so what, tomorrow it will all be about Nadal and most people around the world who might have had a laugh at the video will move onto something else tomorrow. That's the nature of news in the 21st century.

As for the effect on players, do you think it affected anyone going to Man City. There are loads of clubs who have gone through a host of managers and still sign players. If we get the right man in with connections then this will all blow over.

Totally agree.Much the same as I have argued in my previous posts.
Precious drama queenie over reactions in abundance,I am afraid.
Man up and get a grip.Enter the real world for a change, all you lot of a nervous disposition!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

So..if there is nothing to worry about and it's all nonsense, why have both the chairman and the chief executive feel moved to immediately make rare and strong interventions today (and after this thread was started)?

The answer of course is that they, like me and many others, know there has been damage done to our reputation in the past six weeks. And they also know that is important, for all sorts of reasons.

You seem to think that it has to be all Poyet's fault or all the club's fault, and you are 100 per cent on the club's side. If anything is clear from this mess it is that there has been fault on both sides.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What's a bit shit is having the following conversation with other football supporters you know:

<Us> "Er, I dunno, we haven't been told".

Would be nice for the conversation to go:

<Us> "Because he's a kvnt"
<Them> <Nods in agreement>

Small price to pay. Maintaining confidentiality is vital if we are going to keep OUR money out of Gus' pocket.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So..if there is nothing to worry about and it's all nonsense, why have both the chairman and the chief executive feel moved to immediately make rare and strong interventions today (and after this thread was started)?

The answer of course is that they, like me and many others, know there has been damage done to our reputation in the past six weeks. And they also know that is important, for all sorts of reasons.

You seem to think that it has to be all Poyet's fault or all the club's fault, and you are 100 per cent on the club's side. If anything is clear from this mess it is that there has been fault on both sides.

Maybe faults on both sides, but most fans trust the club over Gus, and that is what matters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here