Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Extinction Rebellion protester grounds plane at London City...

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am not claiming the majority of teenagers are political activists, I am merely suggesting that even if the figures above a benchmark, is flies in the face of your assessment that teenagers aren’t interested in politics. Out of interest, what % of the adult population do you think are protesting right now in London? Is that percentage a fair representation of people who are concerned about climate change across the country?

A few kids have Saturday jobs? In July 2019 an estimated 488,000 teenagers and young people (16-24) were employed. I haven’t been to Churchill Square in a while but I bet a lot of the staff working in the shops there today were either teenagers or in their early 20s. In my local shopping complex the vast majority of Saturday and Sunday workers in the shops are 16-20. Having to work would be a perfectly valid reason not to go to a protest. Especially in this day and age where your attendance at said protest and the plastering of pictures over social media could see you lose your job. All it takes is one customer to recognise a face in a crowd and complain for someone to get fired from said job. It’s precisely the reason I don’t go to protests. Does that mean I don’t care about climate change?

You’ve said it yourself, a protest on a Friday would either be at a school or the school would act as a staging area, and would mostly eliminate the variables I put to you. Going to a protest in London on a Saturday, surrounded by unfamiliar adults, potential counter protestors, surrounded by hundreds of police... it is a completely different, potentially intimidating, environment for a young person and you know that.The variables that I’ve put forward are perfectly valid reasons for teenagers, or anyone for that matter, to not attend a protest. You can pat yourself on the back all you like, but I don’t for one minute believe that not going to a protest represents a lack of interest or passion in young people in the slightest.

Your figure of 488,000 is clearly and I assume deliberately misleading as it includes those in permanent employment from 18 to 24, so as proof of hundreds of thousands of teenagers having a Saturday job, that is virtually worthless, though teenagers do work on Saturday, of course. I have no idea as to the amount of adults -we are not talking about adults, but I expect that it would be very low. I would suspect that far more adults care of sorts, but not enough to go to London, and I am sure that XR types also put folk off. But these are adults, not teenagers and your comparison is weak. By the way,are you really saying that in this day and age, going to a demo would earn you the sack, or are you taking about someone dodging work to go -you don't make that clear.
With regard to your final paragraph, I think we are at cross-purposes here, and this may explain why we are seemingly going round in circles. I am not taking about going to London for a demo, but if kids can assemble in Hastings on a Friday, then why not on a Saturday. What you say about going to London is a clear barrier, but that is not what I was envisaging. You clearly were.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
That’s nice. Where’s your proof?

I have an opinion on you. What you say in posts allows me to judge and have an opinion. My opinion is, your opinions are somewhat different to mine.

I have no "proof" of that apart from what you have said on here and of course we both believe we are right although you would probably accept that I am more right thinking than you.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Criticising the establishment and hedge fund billionaires makes me right wing?

You claim Greta is being controlled. Who is controlling her and what proof do you have of this?

It’s always right wingers who criticise anyone trying to do anything about climate change.

Globalists. The establishment. Bankrolled by millionaires. Controllers.

Who exactly is stealing your thoughts, Sir? :lolol:

**** me.

Last edited:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Unfortunately for you, your brand of right wing bullshit doesn’t intimidate me in the slightest. It takes a lot more than you could ever bring, sunshine.

Can I direct you to my post 252 where I asked you a question . Why I`m a "sad act" etc etc and as per your last post what proof do you have?

D

Deleted member 2719

And where is your proof that she is insane or that she’s been brainwashed? Do you think David Attenborough has been brainwashed too? After all, he always seems to be talking about climate change...

I am not saying that something is not going on, but if the world thinks it is so serious as Greta portrays we should cut all flights by 75% and quickly!!!!

Do you believe that most of the Extinction rebellion protestors are of sound mind???

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Your figure of 488,000 is clearly and I assume deliberately misleading as it includes those in permanent employment from 18 to 24, so as proof of hundreds of thousands of teenagers having a Saturday job, that is virtually worthless, though teenagers do work on Saturday, of course. I have no idea as to the amount of adults -we are not talking about adults, but I expect that it would be very low. I would suspect that far more adults care of sorts, but not enough to go to London, and I am sure that XR types also put folk off. But these are adults, not teenagers and your comparison is weak. By the way,are you really saying that in this day and age, going to a demo would earn you the sack, or are you taking about someone dodging work to go -you don't make that clear.
With regard to your final paragraph, I think we are at cross-purposes here, and this may explain why we are seemingly going round in circles. I am not taking about going to London for a demo, but if kids can assemble in Hastings on a Friday, then why not on a Saturday. What you say about going to London is a clear barrier, but that is not what I was envisaging. You clearly were.

I wasn’t purposely being misleading re the figure. It was the only figure I could find re youth employment. It was however, in response to your statement that a ‘few’ teenagers had Saturday jobs. A few, I feel, is a gross underestimate. The only reason I’m bringing adults in this scenario is because you seem to be happy to write off teenagers because of a low percentage turn out and I wondered if you would view adults in the same light. You agree that some adults may be put off because of XR and because of it being in London, do you not think these may also be barriers for teenagers? I think expecting young people to do something you wouldn’t expect adults to do is very hypocritical.

Yes, I am suggesting that attending a protest and being seen/ photographed there and that being used as the basis of a complaint, could lead to a loss of employment. It is the reason I don’t attend protests.

I think there’s only one way we‘ll know if the youth of Hastings will protest in Hastings on a Saturday. Organise an event and see for yourself. If you’re right, and very few people turn up, you have my permission to say I told you so :smile:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
And where is your proof that she is insane or that she’s been brainwashed? Do you think David Attenborough has been brainwashed too? After all, he always seems to be talking about climate change...

I don't think that she has been brainwashed etc, but she is certainly useful. I think the activists need to be careful in how she is used (not meant cynically at all) or rather comes across; yes it is good publicity and here we have a lovely young girl worried about her future, and I am sure that she is quite genuine. But DA is far more likely to be listened to, as he has greater experience of life. Of course she has a role to play, but it is also very easy for folk to dismiss her tearful outpourings, rightly or wrongly, as those of a child who is out of her depth.

As an aside, I admired her fortnight's stay on the boat going over to New York, armed with a bucket, which deservedly got publicity, but her return to Sweden has received nothing at all. I am NOT trying to dig for dirt, but could it be that she had an alternative method of transport for the return journey, which has been kept quiet. That would be a pity, as that would give her detractors ammunition for an accusation of hypocrisy.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
You claim Greta is being controlled. Who is controlling her and what proof do you have of this?

It’s always right wingers who criticise anyone trying to do anything about climate change.

Globalists. The establishment. Bankrolled by millionaires. Controllers.

**** me.

No thanks.

I’d recommend this article, but you’d probably think it was right wing as it doesn’t fit your narrow worldview.

https://standpointmag.co.uk/issues/june-2019/gretas-very-corporate-childrens-crusade/

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I am not saying that something is not going on, but if the world thinks it is so serious as Greta portrays we should cut all flights by 75% and quickly!!!!

Do you believe that most of the Extinction rebellion protestors are of sound mind???

I know several XR protestors, I’ve been to their talks and spoken to a few of their organisers and they all seem like decent, rational people who fear for the future of humanity. But by all means, if attacking them personally makes you feel more comfortable about the current situation then by all means go ahead. No one will take you seriously without proof mind you...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
No thanks, but I’m just popping round to Tesco Express. I’ll see if I can get you any social skills and manners.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I wasn’t purposely being misleading re the figure. It was the only figure I could find re youth employment. It was however, in response to your statement that a ‘few’ teenagers had Saturday jobs. A few, I feel, is a gross underestimate. The only reason I’m bringing adults in this scenario is because you seem to be happy to write off teenagers because of a low percentage turn out and I wondered if you would view adults in the same light. You agree that some adults may be put off because of XR and because of it being in London, do you not think these may also be barriers for teenagers? I think expecting young people to do something you wouldn’t expect adults to do is very hypocritical.

Yes, I am suggesting that attending a protest and being seen/ photographed there and that being used as the basis of a complaint, could lead to a loss of employment. It is the reason I don’t attend protests.

I think there’s only one way we‘ll know if the youth of Hastings will protest in Hastings on a Saturday. Organise an event and see for yourself. If you’re right, and very few people turn up, you have my permission to say I told you so :smile:

That's fine with regard to the figure -who knows. A few sounds measly, but if you take the total population, it might be Ok, but then it all depends on how you define a few! I am not sure you fully read what I wrote in your haste on this occasion to reply. As I explained, we are talking at cross-purposes; I would not expect many teenagers or adults to go to London, and was referring to Hastings - neither of us made it clear what we had in mind, and so the idea of hypocrisy is irrelevant. I am rather surprised that you genuinely think being filmed at a demo would lead to loss of job - is this widespread or just your fear? I have never heard of this (but accept that it could be, depending, perhaps, on the type of demo and your behaviour at the time of being filmed) and are there not employment laws that would forbid an employer sacking you in just such circumstances.
Thanks for the offer -I won't be organising anything here, and I too don't go to demos even for "good" causes, because I too would not wish to be filmed, as I take discussion groups and I would not lay myself open to the accusation of any bias. Assume that this is what you are getting at?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Can I direct you to my post 252 where I asked you a question . Why I`m a "sad act" etc etc and as per your last post what proof do you have?

Answering questions isn’t his strong point. All he can do is be abusive and label people right-wing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here