Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Extinction Rebellion protester grounds plane at London City...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can I direct you to my post 252 where I asked you a question . Why I`m a "sad act" etc etc and as per your last post what proof do you have?

It’s my opinion of you after reading your posts. Do I need proof to back up an opinion? It’s an opinion. Like all opinions, it’s neither gospel nor gilded. Feel free to ignore it.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I am not saying that something is not going on, but if the world thinks it is so serious as Greta portrays we should cut all flights by 75% and quickly!!!!

Do you believe that most of the Extinction rebellion protestors are of sound mind???

I know several XR protestors, I’ve been to their talks and spoken to a few of their organisers and they all seem like decent, rational people who fear for the future of humanity. But by all means, if attacking them personally makes you feel more comfortable about the current situation then by all means go ahead. No one will take you seriously without proof mind you...

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
That's fine with regard to the figure -who knows. A few sounds measly, but if you take the total population, it might be Ok, but then it all depends on how you define a few! I am not sure you fully read what I wrote in your haste on this occasion to reply. As I explained, we are talking at cross-purposes; I would not expect many teenagers or adults to go to London, and was referring to Hastings - neither of us made it clear what we had in mind, and so the idea of hypocrisy is irrelevant. I am rather surprised that you genuinely think being filmed at a demo would lead to loss of job - is this widespread or just your fear? I have never heard of this (but accept that it could be, depending, perhaps, on the type of demo and your behaviour at the time of being filmed) and are there not employment laws that would forbid an employer sacking you in just such circumstances.
Thanks for the offer -I won't be organising anything here, and I too don't go to demos even for "good" causes, because I too would not wish to be filmed, as I take discussion groups and I would not lay myself open to the accusation of any bias. Assume that this is what you are getting at?

I met a teacher in the summer who protested with XR earlier in the year who lost his job. He wasn’t arrested during the protest but he had photos taken of him at the protest, they were shared on Facebook and a parent saw it and reported him which lead to him losing his job. He now does supply. So yeah, it is a fear I have as I love my job and I’m not willing to lose it in order to attend a protest. As an aside, in my own experience I have been spoken to by SLT about wearing my Vegan Runners running gear around the housing estate where my school is located and I have been told I must be seen to remain ‘neutral’ so going to a protest is a no brainier for me.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Did the union not get involved?

Surely people are entitled to protest peacefully. Sounds like a clear cut unfair dismissal.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
For me there are two problems with the XR/climate change protestors. Firstly it is their assumption that the planet needs saving. It doesn't. It is perfectly capable of looking after itself as it has done for the last 4.5 billion years. At the moment it is reacting to the over population and dominance of a single species. Secondly, the thing that will re-balance the Earth's ecosystem is less humans. One quick way to do this is through cataclysmic weather events and rising sea levels. The very things XR want to prevent. If XR really want the world they seem to describe they should be encouraging fossil fuel burning and meat eating to bring forward the apocalypse. Humans will consume all available resources (just like all other species) until they expire. Our sole purpose and driving force is to consume and reproduce and it is difficult/impossible to get around that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Surely people are entitled to protest peacefully. Sounds like a clear cut unfair dismissal.

You would like to think so. I had lunch in London yesterday with two associates. One was in the demo at trafalgar Square, one who wasn't.

The one who wasn't would have definitely lost their job had they been seen or pictured at the demo.

We met at a restaurant a little way away, had a very nice lunch and then one went back to the demo and one didn't.

It’s never that simple :shrug:

Personally, I think the demonstrators are doing a good job.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

I thought as much as well. He said something along the lines of the school’s chief executive had taken the decision as they thought he had acted unprofessionally. I didn’t think to question whether or not he had gone down the route of unfair dismissal. He seemed pretty upset about it but said he’d started doing supply which meant he had more time to be involved in the XR movement.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I met a teacher in the summer who protested with XR earlier in the year who lost his job. He wasn’t arrested during the protest but he had photos taken of him at the protest, they were shared on Facebook and a parent saw it and reported him which lead to him losing his job. He now does supply. So yeah, it is a fear I have as I love my job and I’m not willing to lose it in order to attend a protest. As an aside, in my own experience I have been spoken to by SLT about wearing my Vegan Runners running gear around the housing estate where my school is located and I have been told I must be seen to remain ‘neutral’ so going to a protest is a no brainier for me.

Sounds very big-brother ish, but were you told the whole story? People have a funny habit of missing out the inconvenient bits. Yes, agreed, it is best to avoid anything that could bite in the you-know-where if you are teaching, as we both accept. Off to watch Quest EFL soon, so have a pleasant evening and it has been good to have this debate all day - my Mrs has despaired of me spending so much time on NSC, but as it is peeing down here all day, why not? Even the dog didn't want to go out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here