Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Experiences of Birmingham City

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I've spent a few nights in the Gas Street Basin, which is part of the canal system known as the Venice of the north. ( There's supposed to be more canals in Birmingham than Venice.) The redevelopment is called The Mailbox and is good for Restaurants and nightlife.
A short walk away is.............wait for it............... Gay Village. I suppose it is possible to be happy in Birmingham, must be or they wouldn't have an area named Gay Village.
After having run the gauntlet of shopping trolleys in the Canal and the local delinquents on the bridges, that central part of Brum is quite nice. There is a Lap Dancing Club in the Basin, and having parked the boat unknowingly outside the establishments back door, we were royally entertained by some of the Ladies during their fag breaks.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ignore the WUM's.
Blues are getting good crowds again and there is a real buzz about the place since Gary Rowett took over.
The ground may be a little dated but there will be a decent atmosphere and they are playing good football with big Clayton Donaldson defying his limited abilities and continuing to bang in the goals.
Don't go to pubs near the ground for the simple reason they are all back street dives but between New Street and Broad Street you will find plenty of seriously good watering holes. My personal favourite is Purity Bar where the food is also good but that may just be because a pal of mine owns it

About 20 years ago I went into a pub while working at The Midland hotel and ordered a Light & Bitter and the reply given was ' f..k off we dont serve cockneys'. very friendly staff/

Much the same as my experience in a Brighton pub shortly after I moved down here from Brum in the late sixties. I was refused service of a pint of mild and bitter on the grounds that this was a combination that wasn't allowed in Brighton.

I am not a cockney but to that particular barmaid anybody who spoke with a southern accent must have been a cockney.

Went to St Andrews once and was told 'look after your car mister £2' I paid it as it was only £2, but a nearby driver told them to f..k off. he came back to find 2 wheels missing. I found that quite funny and ironical. especially as it was on a piece of waste land with no car parking charges.

There will be NSC posters who will remind you that 'look after your car mister' isn't an enforceable form of parking provision. Just don't pay.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
I've been a few times, parked in the side streets no problems at all....not the nicest area but I've never had any trouble there...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
According to Google Maps it is 2 miles, too far for me to walk even in my younger days.
Seem to remember the walk was about 25 minutes. Maybe my memory is hazy, but I don't remember it being difficult ( or unsafe ).

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm in Birmingham from tomorrow night until Sunday night, and was thinking about heading to see their game versus Rotherham (getting to Bolton and back isn't really an option). Has anyone been to St. Andrews? Is it worth a visit?

The area around the ground is one of the most deprived areas in the country so be warned. I was subject to sickening homophobic abuse outside of the stadium on one visit about a decade back now.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Baghdad is more friendly

Absolutely nonsense

I went a few times up to Birmingham when CH was manager there. I got there early before the tickets had been left for me and while I was waiting one of the stewards said '' come with me'' and he took me all around the ground and gave me a full tour until the tickets arrived.

Of all the clubs I have ever been invited to the people at Birmingham city were the most hospitable ever and I have been to quite a few - I actually fin the people of Birmingham some of the friendliest people in the UK . I know you can't really generalise but from personal experience that's how i find them............And No I am not from Birmingham

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Was there for our first season back in the Champ under Gus. Remember the fans being very quiet and a bit of a walk to the ground. Thats about it. 0-0 and Billy Paynter making his debut.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Absolutely nonsense

I went a few times up to Birmingham when CH was manager there. I got there early before the tickets had been left for me and while I was waiting one of the stewards said '' come with me'' and he took me all around the ground and gave me a full tour until the tickets arrived.

Of all the clubs I have ever been invited to the people at Birmingham city were the most hospitable ever and I have been to quite a few - I actually fin the people of Birmingham some of the friendliest people in the UK . I know you can't really generalise but from personal experience that's how i find them............And No I am not from Birmingham

JCL as I'm talking late 70's early 80's

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
According to Google Maps it is 2 miles, too far for me to walk even in my younger days.
No need to walk - train from Snow Hill or Moor Street (both pretty central) to Bordesley (normally closed, but opened only on match days) which isn't far from the ground. One bloody nasty road to cross on the way though...........

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Another mention for the Post Office Vaults, plus the sister pub they have opened nearby.

I also like the Anchor Inn, by the coach station in Digbeth.

Not sure I'd want to live there, but always enjoy a trip to Brum. Including the day I had there when Walsall was called off a few years ago.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Quite a nice city centre these days, too much snobbery on here sometimes....Brighton is really not that great these days, is it? Lewes/London Road/West St anyone?

I'd say Birmingham is a considerably better night out than Brighton currently...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Taxi distance or wobble-able from Brewdog? Going over in a few weeks and its been long enough I can just about remember the way from New Street to the hotel.

Taxi distance I'm afraid. Despite it's basic appearance it really is good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite a nice city centre these days, too much snobbery on here sometimes....Brighton is really not that great these days, is it? Lewes/London Road/West St anyone?

I'd say Birmingham is a considerably better night out than Brighton currently...

I don't want to get involved in a debate about Brum or Brighton but I've stayed in Brum a number of times always find enough places to keep me happy. Agree about the snobbery.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was there for our first season back in the Champ under Gus. Remember the fans being very quiet and a bit of a walk to the ground. Thats about it. 0-0 and Billy Paynter making his debut.

I remember turning up at New Street for the Villa game and when walking out of the station a police officer said "alright mate, you here for the march, it starts down there" and ushered me to a slip road thing. There was an EDL march the same day; not every middle-aged man with a close-cut is a racist you know :wrong:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here