Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Experienced CB needed in January?

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
I'm more concerned about the fact that players keep getting crosses in, all in all our centre backs are fairly solid. In general we need to sort out set pieces, conceed too many and don't score any at the other end!

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
No. Other areas to worry about first. I'd only want enough CB if we sold Dunk.

New CB is necessary. Gk is fine, midfield is fine, apart from depth to cover injuries, Fwds are fine too. I'd play Chicken or Calde at LB until Bong or LR is back. But we need an experienced CB to lead the back 4, as Greer dosent cut it for me.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Whilst I agree we need cover in these positions, I don't think Calde hasn't done much wrong at left back, which I would have said was the big worry coming in to these 3 games. Greer's challenge vs Derby and Dunk losing his head vs QPR are the moments that have cost us.

Amended for you but I absolutely agree about Greer and Dunk ( Four points tossed away by 'professionals' )

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We need two decent defenders to seal promotion. Our defence has more in common with class of 91 than '79. Watertight for so many seasons, just as we get the up front sorted the back door has opened spectacularly!

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The worry is CH ex full back, CC ex CB and NJ ex full back so plenty fo defensive experience so why have we suddenly become so poor at defending set pieces and clearing the ball from them

Well whatever the case it is more than bad luck. QPR and Derby's goals all (if I recall correctly) were the result of set-pieces and not open play.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Personally I'd be happy with Dunk and Uwe next to one another if they could stay fit and suspension free. Greer is currently an absolute liability though.

Left back, if Chicksen isn't going to play, needs to be looked at.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Hard call - but we miss cover. Bong and Rossenior are a miss - Calde doing a great job but he isn't a left back and he isn't as quick as he once was. The defensive cover that March and KLL gave (and Murphy) just isn't as good when VLP is there - he does OK going forward but generally let's his player past into the box. I would say LB is essentially and better support from the midfield. That said we are leaking goals from set pieces and all 3 today should have been covered by a decent CB pairing.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Although you can't really find much fault with Calde, it's interesting the back two have become more vulnerable since Bong & Rosenior have been out.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Too early to judge Goldson from this afternoon, thought he looked nervous when he came on. Greer on current form is an easy one to target, opposition can let him have the ball as he is probably going to give it back to them with any forward pass, and lacks concentration on set plays.

Ideally you would want a ball playing centre half in the Lawrenson mould but may be difficult to get.

However would say we need to get a wide player in particularly if La Parra goes back to Wolves as Elvis doesn't seem to get a look in even from the bench.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Another CB not needed what we do need however has been mentioned many times Liam Bridcutt or similar type player to sit in front of and help take the pressure off of the. CB.plus a left footed left back. We have suffered by not pushing for somebody when Bong got injured. Had we brought in a left back LR could still have played right defensive midfield to give us more defensive quaity until he got injured of course. This has been CH and TB 1 big failure this season not bringing one in as soon as it was needed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't think it's THE major priority but agree with the OP to a certain extent. What we really miss is a defender with the presence Upson had for these tight games. Always so calm and unruffled. I think our players generally do a decent job, as their record over the seasons would suggest, but his composure gave us a bit extra.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
We have experience in abundance in
defence. The main thing we lack is pace. Would like an up and down left back for at least cover and possibly a fast central defender option...not sure if Goldson is.

Our goals conceded column is a big concern.

Three of our back line were aged 35+, the other nearly 30(?)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here