Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expense no object... where's the best lunch in town

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think you might be disappointed. As good as Brighton is it cannot compete with London in the food dept.

Would go along with this. But Brighton is getting better. See 64 Degrees, The Chilli Pickle especially and The Gingerman. I don't know this 24 St Georges or The Coalshed that have been mentioned on this thread.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Cote is surprisingly good for the cheap lunchtime prices.

Drakes is good but expensive. I've done most of the posh restaurants in Brighton and it's up there.

Was at the grand on Sunday and can't recommend it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Depends where you stand on seafood, but a sunny day in Brighton, I think Riddle and Finns on the seafront, should come into the reckoning.

Overpriced and possibly breaching the Trades Description Act. I went by with Mrs V on a sunday stroll and was shocked to see a "Special " of Grilled locally Caught Dover Sole " for just £29.00 ! fortunately, an overnight fishing trip on Thursday yielded 2 nice 1lb Soles which were in her fridge at the time.I gleefully pointed out how lucky she was. Checking thier menu it also features " Local Line Caught Cod" now that's going to hard considering that to my knowledge, there are no local longliners targeting the " Local " Cod which have moved mid channel for the summer.

I'd try any of The Ginger Group eateries without hesitation.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Overpriced and possibly breaching the Trades Description Act. I went by with Mrs V on a sunday stroll and was shocked to see a "Special " of Grilled locally Caught Dover Sole " for just £29.00 ! fortunately, an overnight fishing trip on Thursday yielded 2 nice 1lb Soles which were in her fridge at the time.I gleefully pointed out how lucky she was. Checking thier menu it also features " Local Line Caught Cod" now that's going to hard considering that to my knowledge, there are no local longliners targeting the " Local " Cod which have moved mid channel for the summer.

Please re-read the OPs question and maybe start a new thread. It could be called something like. Places in Brighton that make old duffers from Worthing, say tsk, shake their heads and walk on muttering to themselves.

I would also hesitate to pay £29 for Dover Sole. It is well beyond my limited fishing skills, to catch one of these, but I can certainly buy them and cook them at home for a lot less. Fresh Dover Sole is so good the simpler the better is the only way to go.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Quite right Riddle and Finns has to be one of the most over rated and pretentious restaurants in Brighton (and there are a few) Had a whole grilled plaice at the unfashionable but excellent Melrose on Sunday for less than a tenner. Dover sole was £18.50.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
If he's a real Londoner you're wasting your time. Nothing's worth seeing/doing/eating if it's outside London.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Côte is a chain. English's was good in 1972 and therefore hasn't bothered updating since. Haven't tried the Ginger Dog yet but Gingerman and Ginger Pig are excellent and either would get my vote. Chilli Pickle a close second.

I know the OP said no expense spared but my favourite lunch place at the moment is Moroccos - great value and where else can you get Bubblegum Icecream (it's not nice but it doesn't stop my daughter ordering it every time because of the colour).

albionite

May 20, 2009
Worst place I has eaten in years.

Have to agree with recommendations for the coal shed though

Not tried the coal shed, last time i went there think it was a bar called Koba.

Menu looks interesting, very good selection of starters but mainly steak and fish for the main course. Will have to give it a try at some point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here