Brezovan
Greer
Crofts (originally)
Barnes
Calderon
Ankergren
Lualua
Bridcutt

(ignoring players who have come through the youth set up, or who have been with us since before Gus - eg El Abd, JFC etc)

Might I say you're not very good at being a devil's advocate.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And using the "only people who know football understand Barnes" line is pathetic.

If Burnley and Premier League clubs want him, then we should sell. He's performing at his peak, and it's insufficient. But the whole point I was making is that isn't a criticism of him. We signed him for a job, he did that job and has exceeded all expectations. Now, however, we've moved on.

Like we did with Marcos Painter, Casper Ankergren, Adam El-Abd (to a lesser extent), Gary Dicker... The list goes on. They were ALL good players for us, in the case of El-Abd I would welcome him back in the team, but we've progressed so rapidly in every aspect that these people were left behind. Barnes is clinging on but if we want to continue improving we need a higher calibre of player.

Not a Barnes hater, and I will proudly be wearing the shirt with his name and number on the back on saturday. But he's not what we need to continue improving.

Surely when you sign a player, you sign him to improve the squad, else every time a team got promoted they would change their entire team. There are always times managers speculate and of course Poyet got it wrong on several occasions, in particular with Harley who was quite in league 1, but couldn't cut it in the Championship.

I would agree that Barnes is not good enough for the next stage (if we get to the premier league), but then you could certainly argue the same with Greer and probably quite a few others.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Surely when you sign a player, you sign him to improve the squad, else every time a team got promoted they would change their entire team. There are always times managers speculate and of course Poyet got it wrong on several occasions, in particular with Harley who was quite in league 1, but couldn't cut it in the Championship.

I would agree that Barnes is not good enough for the next stage (if we get to the premier league), but then you could certainly argue the same with Greer and probably quite a few others.

Of course, and he did that. When we signed Barnes we were a middling team in League 1, and he scored the goals which took us to comfortable in midtable and then we romped the league the year after and all that's followed. He has been a very good player for us, but my point is that he's done his job and he can't get any better for us now, and his time is up.

I don't think it's the same story for Greer though. Other disagree, such is life, but I honestly believe him to be a top end Championship player, and our defensive stats would support that. He's not perfect, and should we go up we'd need more pace in the team in general, but certainly at centre back. For me, Matt Upson is done and his legs are long gone, but Greer is in his prime at this level. I'm sure there will be those who agree, and those who disagree, but those are my two cents.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Of course, and he did that. When we signed Barnes we were a middling team in League 1, and he scored the goals which took us to comfortable in midtable and then we romped the league the year after and all that's followed. He has been a very good player for us, but my point is that he's done his job and he can't get any better for us now, and his time is up.

I don't think it's the same story for Greer though. Other disagree, such is life, but I honestly believe him to be a top end Championship player, and our defensive stats would support that. He's not perfect, and should we go up we'd need more pace in the team in general, but certainly at centre back. For me, Matt Upson is done and his legs are long gone, but Greer is in his prime at this level. I'm sure there will be those who agree, and those who disagree, but those are my two cents.

Fair enough. I don't agree re Greer and there is no way he can play at the next level. For me he gets found wanting in any type of physical challenge and I've not seen him win a block tackle now for 2 years, fortunately AEA used to be available to do the 'dirty' work. Some of the problem may be, that him and Upson are too similar and one of them needs to be rested. (I think Upson tweaked his medial ligament in the first minute last night, so that may solve any problem).

All of that said, it can't be denied that defensively we have been strong since League 1, so Greer, AEA and Upson have been doing something right.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Fair enough. I don't agree re Greer and there is no way he can play at the next level. For me he gets found wanting in any type of physical challenge and I've not seen him win a block tackle now for 2 years, fortunately AEA used to be available to do the 'dirty' work. Some of the problem may be, that him and Upson are too similar and one of them needs to be rested. (I think Upson tweaked his medial ligament in the first minute last night, so that may solve any problem).

All of that said, it can't be denied that defensively we have been strong since League 1, so Greer, AEA and Upson have been doing something right.

I see what you mean, and there are times even I get frustrated by some of the challenges he loses but I think he makes up for it in other areas of his game and overall I think he is our best centre back and is quality. It's tough to criticise the partnership considering the stats, and it is far from the biggest flaw in our team at the moment.

Also, just to add - we were 6 unbeaten before last night. I am encouraged at how it is going, but it doesn't detract from forming opinions.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The core of last nights team got us to 4th in the Championship and into the play offs last season. Plus they acquitted themselves well against Prem sides in cup games (Anfield excepted). Yet the majority spent most of their playing careers to date in the lower leagues. Only a handful had experience of the Prem.

Our recent form has been good and despite a horrendous injury list we were already moving into the top half and within handy reach of the play offs again. Hopefully last night was a blip. Therefore the direction of travel is still going in the right direction.

Yes the players did not show the hunger we expect of them but I would also question the tactics and team put out by the management. The tactics were not as positive or not the strongest team given recent form (could have played a second striker and replaced Lopez with someone in better form?). I would also question their motivation last night and what sort of rocket they received at half time.

I would also suggest that Barnsley aren't a team of superstars either but were better motivated on the night and made the most of a more positive team selection so they could exploit our obvious weaknesses.

I hope our lot are better motivated on Saturday because on paper Leicester are probably far better equipped to exploit us if we give them a chance. I hope we see a different Albion performance.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
And using the "only people who know football understand Barnes" line is pathetic.

If Burnley and Premier League clubs want him, then we should sell. He's performing at his peak, and it's insufficient. But the whole point I was making is that isn't a criticism of him. We signed him for a job, he did that job and has exceeded all expectations. Now, however, we've moved on.

Like we did with Marcos Painter, Casper Ankergren, Adam El-Abd (to a lesser extent), Gary Dicker... The list goes on. They were ALL good players for us, in the case of El-Abd I would welcome him back in the team, but we've progressed so rapidly in every aspect that these people were left behind. Barnes is clinging on but if we want to continue improving we need a higher calibre of player.

Not a Barnes hater, and I will proudly be wearing the shirt with his name and number on the back on saturday. But he's not what we need to continue improving.

Dicker? Once again we'll have to disagree....as for el-abd....is this the same Adam El-abd who became an international footballer while playing for us in the championship?
pathetic? No, whats pathetic is constantly moaning about a player who you say isn't good enough. You still make no response to my comment of is he's SO bad then why are these teams interested? Barnes is an excellent player and lets be honest, you are NEVER going to say he's good enough no matter what.

what barnes gives us, there isn't another player around who brings the same qualities and is happy to do a job anywhere.

Anyway, keep moaning about barnes and not having a clue about the game. Enjoy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here