Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expats - loss of BBC channels?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
don't wanna tempt fate but,got all the regional BBC 1's back tonight,but not 101 ???

Lost pretty well all channels today including the ITV ones :down:

Minimum of 90cm dish required apparently. Anyone know if a 100cm dish is OK to wallmount? At what size is it essential to mount the dish on the ground?

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

Minimum of 90cm dish required apparently. Anyone know if a 100cm dish is OK to wallmount? At what size is it essential to mount the dish on the ground?

yep! lost all of ITV now,still getting BBC South 965 & BBC2 NI 972 but with interference,just about watchable

has anyone got a 90cm dish in use?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

A couple of sturdy metal brackets and a metal pole to attach the dish to should do the trick. You can also mount the dish on the ground , again best to attach to a pole which is truly vertical and embedded into concrete. Buy a quality dish that won't warp after the first time high winds batter it and a top performing LNB. Many ex-pats in Spain will hang on until Astra 2G is launched because even though the footprints on 2E and 2F are similar it isn't 100% guaranteed 2G will be the same.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
A couple of sturdy metal brackets and a metal pole to attach the dish to should do the trick. You can also mount the dish on the ground , again best to attach to a pole which is truly vertical and embedded into concrete. Buy a quality dish that won't warp after the first time high winds batter it and a top performing LNB. Many ex-pats in Spain will hang on until Astra 2G is launched because even though the footprints on 2E and 2F are similar it isn't 100% guaranteed 2G will be the same.

whens 2G being lauched SoG?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I use VPN, you can in theory use this via a PS3/ Xbox or just via your laptop/ computer directly to your TV.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Ta, yes I was going to get quality twin lnb and a sturdy dish. As you can imagine the local fitters are coining it and difficult to get hold of at the moment

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's obvious, we just need to invade France then we can put on whatever TV channels we like. It's long overdue.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
whens 2G being lauched SoG?

Put back until Q2 of this year (Apr , May , Jun). Astra 2E took longer between launch and being officially operational because she was parked at the testing location of 43.5E between mid December and the New Year.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i would glady pay a rather sizeable amount of money, up to 50 quid a month probably, just to be able to get BBC live feed in Norway. Only way i could get it would be through a sky subscription, and even then its very dodgy. (as in illegal, reception is fine but huge set up cost and i dont have the space for the absolutely mahoosive dish i would need!)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
i would glady pay a rather sizeable amount of money, up to 50 quid a month probably, just to be able to get BBC live feed in Norway. Only way i could get it would be through a sky subscription, and even then its very dodgy. (as in illegal, reception is fine but huge set up cost and i dont have the space for the absolutely mahoosive dish i would need!)

It isn't illegal , if you get sussed by Sky as not being in the UK or Ireland you're only breaching terms and conditions of the subscription agreement , they don't execute you or put you inside for 20 years.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
It isn't illegal , if you get sussed by Sky as not being in the UK or Ireland you're only breaching terms and conditions of the subscription agreement , they don't execute you or put you inside for 20 years.

i was worried about a rather hefty fine than death by torture...

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012

hyperthetically speaking, obviously, if thewife and i were looking into buying a house, what would i need to do to get sky?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
hyperthetically speaking, obviously, if thewife and i were looking into buying a house, what would i need to do to get sky?

On the basis the satellite dish is big enough to pick up all the channels.
UK bank account for direct debit payments
UK postal address (a relative without Sky ? :wink:)
Tell Sky you don't have a landline , this means a non contract box which doesn't have to be plugged into a phone line for the first 12 months , this costs £25 as a waiver as the box isn't connected. The downside is not being able to use On Demand where programmes are downloaded into the box via the net.
An alternative is to use a slingbox or similar device.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here