Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expanding Falmer Further

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Oct 25, 2003
it's possible, but just really expensive i'd imagine

and probably not worth the cost for a few thousand seats that we're not guaranteed to fill

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
30,750 puts us in line with other provincial new builds - from 28,000 at Stoke to 32,000 at all the cookie cutter bowls. Some are actually a fair bit smaller (Wigan, Bolton, Huddersfield etc)

It doesn't really make much sense to increase capacity. If demand does exceed the ground size, it won't be all that often to make commercial sense.

On this subject, I was reading in the Standard that Palace want to increase Selhurst to a 35-40,000 all seater with some of their Premiership money because a move to Crystal Palace is now a non starter. I did chuckle at that. How exactly do they plan on doing that then? At one end there is a supermarket and either side has rows of housing. No chance!

Palace and their 15,000 average attendance last season. That's a massive lol if I've ever had one.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
A 30,000 seater stadium suits us just fine, even if/when we get to the Premier League. I agree the ends are weirdly small though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You can't put the foundations required for extra seating without taking the whole stadium apart (or certainly all of the roof). Given that the stadium was designed by a 'can-do' architect, I don't fancy the chances of finding a way around it.
Apparently the original foundation were sufficient for another tier but it is not required at the moment.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Apparently the original foundation were sufficient for another tier but it is not required at the moment.

Well yes the original foundation could probably handle 3 tiers and 60,000 seats, however, as I said, the key is the arches, they keep the entire structure in place.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
After the Wolves game we bumped into Derek Chapman under the North Stand (in the Disco) and had a good chat about things. He said his aim now is to see where he can fit in some more seats, so I guess it is being looked at.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On this subject, I was reading in the Standard that Palace want to increase Selhurst to a 35-40,000 all seater with most of their Premiership money because a move to Crystal Palace is now a non starter. I did chuckle at that. How exactly do they plan on doing that then? At one end there is a supermarket and either side has rows of housing. No chance!

corrected for you :wink: saw that too, its good that they want to spend on their future, cant see they can expand capacity and stay up on £60m

Oct 25, 2003
Palace and their 15,000 average attendance last season. That's a massive lol if I've ever had one.

with a new ground they'd get more in through the doors...almost every club who builds a new stadium sees a sharp increase in attendances

us, for example

Average Attendance:
2011-2012: 20,028 (Championship League)
2010-2011: 7,352 (League One)
2009-2010: 6,467 (League One)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Why bother, if you simply want more income just increase the prices.
£50 extra each seat per season or build 3,000 seats & keep prices the same. Easy call

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
There is scope for extras in the SE corner which doesn't go back to the wall yet. East upper has 2 disabled areas which could be turned into seated areas and have the disabled supporters relocated around the stadium.
Also the NE and NW corners do not have seats pitch side but I guess that's for emergency access.

There are small adjustments that could be made to the current layout but they may be costly and ultimately not worth it for the small number of seats that we would gain.

Anything larger would need additional tiers and massive building works to even consider. It would probably mean closing a stand for a season just to complete the work which doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Give it 10 years of domination in Europe and then we can build a new stadium for 100,000 supporters to fill

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I was told from the outset that the footing were sufficient for another tier if required but it would mean a lot of construction work and more planning applications. As has been said the most difficult things is getting permission originally, which we have so the rest would be reasonably simple if needed, which is not at the moment.

I have it on very good authority that Tony Bloom has already asked Martin Perry to bring him a costed plan to increase capacity further.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
We are just fine right now. Let's keep filling the amex before worrying about getting more people in.

on another note, wouldn't a FAQ section on NSC be good?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
What about safe standing in the North stand? Surely that would increase the capacity and potentially improve the atmosphere generated too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here