Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exercise bike or Treadmill

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Try body weight work outs as well. There's a good app called fitness buddy for the iPhone (if you have one). Lists hundreds of exercises. Cardiovascular exercise only burns fat while your doing it, where as weight exercises continue to burn fat after the exercise.

No need for a gym with body weight exercise, so very useful.

I came here to post this. Fitness Pal app is incredible. I've been using it for two weeks and exercising too and I'm noticing an improvement.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
No 1 thing is going to do it all. Sure focus on one thing to exercise on 2/3 of the time but get out for a walk, go for a swim once a month, try the gym occasionally and don't focus on one thing just try everything out till you're bored. Find a mate who's up for it and have a game of squash or badminton once a fortnight. Play indoor footie or basketball with your mates or a family member for a bit. Another good tip on top of that once a week 'something different' is to find something quick to do at home each day........ lift some free weights or heavy-ish objects at home, do some pressups or situps. One thing a day for 5 mins will make a difference over a month!

As for diet, try and cut 10% of everything you eat OR 50% off of treats ONLY. Unless you eat a silly amount that should help. fruit is good in moderation instead of a cake / choc but just do that some of the time. Veggies is the way to go but if you make one stir fry or healthy veggie curry etc. a week instead of something worse for you, again it will make a big difference. Have half the chips you would have and have a tin of carrots instead with that pie from the chippy. Doesn't have to be all lentals and salads!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Try body weight work outs as well. There's a good app called fitness buddy for the iPhone (if you have one). Lists hundreds of exercises. Cardiovascular exercise only burns fat while your doing it, where as weight exercises continue to burn fat after the exercise.

No need for a gym with body weight exercise, so very useful.

When you say body weight execises, you mean sit ups, toe touch etc

D

Deleted member 18477

Worst.Advice.Ever.

Make a healthy balanced diet which you can enjoy for the whole month, this fad diet is terrible. Try interval training (google it), and remember the treadmill or bike isn't the only two options, you can do circuit training which will build a little bit of muscle and burn a lot of calories.

All my advice needs explaining, if you want more help leave a reply, but I'll say interval training has been scientifically proven to burn more calories than 'traditional' cardio. Adding a bit of muscle will ensure you burn more calories throughout the day too (muscles require more energy (calories) to maintain), and you won't look like a skinny mess once you lose weight.

As I said, reply for more info or drop me a PM.

It's not a fad diet. It needs to be a change of lifestyle. I personally fast for 16 hours a day and eat only in an 8 hour window (12pm to 8pm). Works a treat and intermittent fasting has so many other health benefits apparently (I do it because I like it and works for me) I go to the gym so I eat more from around August to jan (to add some muscle - dont go mad as I don't wanna gain too much fat) then less from jan to April (to lose a bit of stubborn fat) and then eat to maintain weight until August again. Been doing it for 2 years. It's brilliant.

What I would say however is... A healthy balanced diet maintained with some exercise is the main thing. You do whatever works BEST for YOU! What works for someone might not work for another. It needs to fit in around your lifestyle to be maintainable. If its too drastic then you won't stick to it and being consistent is the main objective here.

You're right there in saying high intensity interval training is better than steady cardio for weight loss however a lot of people enjoy exercising more when doing steady I've found. It's whatever you enjoy and can maintain really. There's so many different ways to do it and that's what we all need to remember. Whatever works best for you is the option to choose and that is the beauty of it!

Last edited by a moderator:

D

Deleted member 18477

Neither, been chatting to bloke in pub tonight who swears by this 'fast for two days' diet. Basically eat what you want, then only have 600 calories on two days of the week. Weights dropping off him.

This is one way to do it! Lots of other good intermittent fasting ways as well.

Eating smaller meals throughout the day is ok too.

Its whatever works best for you. And only YOU can work that out.

To lose weight your body must burn more calories than your feeding it. Eating a little more and exercising is best however diet is the main thing with losing weight and only eating 600 calories for 2 days would see a significant calorie deficit as long as you didn't eat a ridiculous amount of calories on the other 5 days. You could eat what you want to a point yes.

Trolly Dolly

Aug 22, 2011
Treadmill wins hands down; wear an ipod to counteract the boredom; do some weights after too; go to a gym use all machines and see which one gets pulse up and feels you are working hardest. For meit is always the treamill; combine diet too, don't fall into trap of putting back all the calories after exercising; don't use commercial drinks, water with a splash of juice is fine. good luck

Dec 29, 2011
[MENTION=18657]bluenitsuj[/MENTION] PMd me, I tried to send advice but the post was too long for PM. Hopefully other people might be able to gain from this advice too so I thought I'd post it in the thread too. The PM is below:

Hello mate,

I'll try and keep this short but also informative, sometimes I can waffle.

The key thing to losing weight is diet and exercise, the key thing about keep weight off is consistency.

Diet:

Diet is about 80% of what makes a physique. You want to keep calories to a minimum if you have a problem losing weight. Calories are just a unit of energy, if you take in more energy than you expel, the extra energy is stored in the body as fat. 1 gram of carbohydrates (pasta, bread, rice) contains 4 calories, 1 gram of protein (animal products) contains 4 calories and 1 gram of fat (found naturally in nuts/seeds or in chocolates and processed foods) contains 9 calories. From that information it's clear why fatty foods are bad for us; they have more grams of fat which contain more calories. So when you pick the foods you want, look at the label and if it contains a lot of fat, keep well clear. That includes all ready meals, junk foods, fast food and stuff like that.

Carbohydrates are a little more tricky and i'll quickly skim over them. Basically, sugar is a carbohydrate that gives us energy for a very short time (say 1 hour). If ALL this energy isn't use, it'll be stored as excess calories, i.e. fat. Therefore avoid sugary foods (check the label of foods, if the "Carbohydrates, of which sugars" label is more than 40% of total carbs in the food, in general try to avoid it). Foods high in carbohydrates that are slow digesting (wholemeal foods such as pasta, bread, rice, oats) then you have about 8 hours to use this energy, energy is released slower and you'll feel more full up for longer. To spot this type of food, the "carbohydrate to sugar" ratio is very low, usually less than 10%.
On a final note, the "no carbs 2 hours before bed" is usually a good one to follow. While you sleep you are dormant and the energy released by the food won't be used; it'll be stored as fat.

So that's the basics of diet, avoid fats and quick-digesting carbs (sugar), instead try to make meals consisting of slow-digesting carbs and lean protein such as chicken, pork, beef. For cheap, quick and healthy meals/snacks invest in a student cook book or check online - students are poor and so the suggestions will be cheap but healthy.

Exercise:

As I said in the thread, I am a strong advocate of interval training rather than 'slow' cardio training. The benefits of interval training is that is works the heart in an anaerobic and aerobic state, while also building a little bit of muscle. Interval training continues to burn calories up to two hours AFTER you've stopped training, slow cardio only burns energy while you train. A muscular body needs more energy to maintain itself, therefore the more muscle you have, the more you can eat without gaining weight (within reason).

Interval training consists of a period of INTENSIVE exercise, and then a period of rest or very light exercise. These periods are cycled until the workout is over.
Interval training can be undertaken on any equipment, on an exercise bike you'd cycle your hardest for about 45 seconds (feel the burn :thumbsup:) and then rest for two minutes. Likewise, on a treadmill you'd sprint flat out for about 30 seconds and then rest for 1-2 minutes. So in the answer of 'which machine to buy', I'd say either is fine, a bike can be a little more fun and less likely to cause injury, however a treadmill (if done correct) will absolutely destroy you and see quicker results, if you put the effort it.

I also like "circuit training". This is similar to interval training in that you can do a period of exercise then rest, and it'll also build muscle. Circuit training is where you do different exercises for about 30 seconds to one minute. Rest in-between exercises is optional, if you are going flat out in the exercise, it's probably recommenced. An example could be:
Squats (30 seconds)
Lunges (30 seconds)
Knee push-ups (30 seconds)
Burpees (30 seconds)
Jump-squats (30 seconds)
Skipping rope (30 seconds)
Plank (30 seconds)
Rest 2.5 minutes, repeat 4 times.
There's hundreds of exercise variations you can do in the home without any equipment. You might need to do some Google searches but I could list about 30 right now that are super effective at raising the heart rate and giving you a solid workout. It's said that Beyonce does 3 ten minute workouts (like the one above) a day, that's 30 minutes a day and she's considered fit as f***, so I'd say it works.

So we've covered diet and exercise, the last thing is consistency.

Consistency will only come when you enjoy doing something. Enjoyment comes out of seeing results and realising potential. Keep yourself motivated by setting targets, goals and recording progress. Buy some cheap scales and measure any weight loss. If you don't see any weight loss after the first month, re-think your routine. Have you been eating correctly? Have you been working out often enough? Remember, all the pain from workouts is wasted if you eat bad stuff. Remember, however, muscle weights more than fat, if you are building muscle it will look like you haven't lost fat, when infact maybe you've lost fat and gained muscle, therefore maintaining the same weight. One thing I like to do when doing interval training (sprinting) is to up the time I sprint by one second a week. That means I can increase it by 1 second a week and after ten weeks I'm sprinting for 30% longer than when I started.

Cliff notes:

- Diet is 80% of what makes a physique.
- Avoid fatty and sugary foods like the plague.
- Interval training will burn more calories.
- Consistency is the key to anything.

UTA :albion:

DanielT

Is this likely to help me lose weight off my belly or just tone other parts?

it'll burn calories and will tone you up. muscle burns calories which is why trainers will tell you to do weight training too.

One sure fire way to drop weight fast, is to cut sugar out of your diet. Not easy, as almost everything contains sugar! But it's the one thing your body really doesn't need. Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does. So if you make only one dietary change, sugar is it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here