Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exercise bike or Treadmill

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Which one is likely to help me lose a bit of weight? Too lazy to go out for a run when it's wet so thinking about getting one of the above. Over to NSC.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Neither, been chatting to bloke in pub tonight who swears by this 'fast for two days' diet. Basically eat what you want, then only have 600 calories on two days of the week. Weights dropping off him.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Neither, been chatting to bloke in pub tonight who swears by this 'fast for two days' diet. Basically eat what you want, then only have 600 calories on two days of the week. Weights dropping off him.

Surely you need to exercise though as well.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
any of the 3 will work, but i would have to agree with getting the rowing machine but the best in my experience is the cross trainer . Just remember that to get your body burning the most fat you want to keep your heart rate between 75% - 85% of your MHR (max heart rate). You can calculate this by simply starting with 220 and subtracting your age.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I've shed about 7 stone in a 2 year period and for me it's been a mixture of diet and exercise. There is an idea that buying some additional help in, such as a treadmill, will force the issue- it doesn't. In fact it can become a false comfort and make things worse.

Work out how many calories you are supposed to eat and eat a few less. Walk at good speed for an average of an hour a day. Only go over your calories at weekends. Drink only occasionally.

Worked for me anyway. Guess we are all different. :thumbsup:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
concept rowers are the best but very expensive. treadmills are boring after a while (and I do a lot of running). I would go for the bike , but as an option, why not get a good mid range racing bike that you could go outside on in the spring and summer and buy an aero trainer to use it on in doors in the winter? have to say most diets are fads. the only way to lose weight is to consume less calories than you burn by a combination of less food and more exercise.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I've shed about 7 stone in a 2 year period and for me it's been a mixture of diet and exercise. There is an idea that buying some additional help in, such as a treadmill, will force the issue- it doesn't. In fact it can become a false comfort and make things worse.

Work out how many calories you are supposed to eat and eat a few less. Walk at good speed for an average of an hour a day. Only go over your calories at weekends. Drink only occasionally.

Worked for me anyway. Guess we are all different. :thumbsup:

How do I know how many calories to keep to?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Apparently not, suppose it would depend on your lifstyle, if you work in a physically demanding job then no.

That's the problem. Being made redundant in 3 weeks and for the last 2 weeks I have only worked 2 days ( lack of work ). The job was physical but now that has stopped and with me eating lots of rubbish during the day I feel like my belly is trying to tell me something.

Dec 29, 2011

Worst.Advice.Ever.

Make a healthy balanced diet which you can enjoy for the whole month, this fad diet is terrible. Try interval training (google it), and remember the treadmill or bike isn't the only two options, you can do circuit training which will build a little bit of muscle and burn a lot of calories.

All my advice needs explaining, if you want more help leave a reply, but I'll say interval training has been scientifically proven to burn more calories than 'traditional' cardio. Adding a bit of muscle will ensure you burn more calories throughout the day too (muscles require more energy (calories) to maintain), and you won't look like a skinny mess once you lose weight.

As I said, reply for more info or drop me a PM.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Worst.Advice.Ever.

Make a healthy balanced diet which you can enjoy for the whole month, this fad diet is terrible. Try interval training (google it), and remember the treadmill or bike isn't the only two options, you can do circuit training which will build a little bit of muscle and burn a lot of calories.

All my advice needs explaining, if you want more help leave a reply, but I'll say interval training has been scientifically proven to burn more calories than 'traditional' cardio. Adding a bit of muscle will ensure you burn more calories throughout the day too (muscles require more energy (calories) to maintain), and you won't look like a skinny mess once you lose weight.

As I said, reply for more info or drop me a PM.

Furry muff, good advice :thumbsup:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
How do I know how many calories to keep to?

you won't know the exact number of calories, but I was asked to keep a record of everything I ate, drank and exercise on a daily basis for a year. it helped me to keep to a few "ground rules" such as no snacking between meals unless it was fruit, veg or salad and not to overdo the carbs. it sounds a bit draconian but combined with an increase in exercise (4 sessions) a week, I lost 3- 4 stone over a period of 5 months and have kept it that way for the last two years. cost a fair bit in New clothes though!

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Try body weight work outs as well. There's a good app called fitness buddy for the iPhone (if you have one). Lists hundreds of exercises. Cardiovascular exercise only burns fat while your doing it, where as weight exercises continue to burn fat after the exercise.

No need for a gym with body weight exercise, so very useful.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Should of said as well my fitness pal app is amazing at keeping a record of what you eat. You enter your details and how much you wanna lose a week, and it'll tell you how many calories you can have in a day.

It has every food on there, from supermarket own brands to Starbucks. Can also scan the barcode with your phone camera to log that food in your diary.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Personally my "work" is enough,however,if i was to choose,i would go BIKE!

I would wear colour's,have lights,and be a "proper" cyclist,but a treadmill would bore me to tears,that said,some "thumping" (might i suggest this?-maybe not your thing but works as is very repetative_ music would ensure being in the "zone" and assure a certain degree of safety whilst "burning" off the slim and getting the desired result.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Oh and think health wealth and bitches! as a motivator

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Elliptical trainer is in between, and works upper and lower body.

Just bought one off a link that helped fund nsc ;-)

Body Sculpture BE5920 Fan Elliptical Trainer £99 from amazon.

Is this likely to help me lose weight off my belly or just tone other parts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here