Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exclusive: Paul Barber ANSWERS the questions every Brighton fan wanted to ask.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am just a bloke writing a blog so can't carry the same demand for answers that The Argus can.

But you have provided us with many more answers than the Argus has. In all fairness we should be relying on the newspaper to send these emails not "a bloke writing a blog." This is in no way being disrespectful to you, quite the opposite as I'm grateful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well then thats all you have to do then. Just don't read it.

How do you expect me to find out about things? I don't really have a choice do I?

- David Burke is handling player recruitment, "As is normally the case at this and other times of the year." Does that suggest the Albion favour the more continental approach? Have all our signings over the last couple of season's actually been Poyet's choices? Hard to tell, but possible food for thought.
Indeed. That's a question that would no doubt have been followed up, if the "interview" with Paul Barber had been face-to-face, rather than by e-mail.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Perhaps the heading to the thread should be

Exclusive: Paul Barber ANSWERS SOME of the questions every Brighton fan wanted to ask (But not the important ones).

Sorry Walt, but a quick scan down doesn't add anything that we didn't know, other than the same old answer on the membership scheme.

But I applaud your efforts anyway.

Don't see that he could say any more than he has. He has certainly put David Burke under pressure. if we don't identify decent signings people will ask what on earth his role is and ask what he has been doing over the last few weeks. Maybe we should have a Q & A with him. The saga goes on. lol

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Something tells me that Barber has been reading NSC.

I am very happy with his answer to the question about the membership scheme in particular.

"Finally, over the course of the next season, and once the new membership scheme is established, we are planning to introduce regular surveys of different fan groups." - is fantastic, although on another thread some NSCers dismissed my suggestion of doing this as ridiculous, so I'm delighted that there are plans for this.

my thoughts exactly particularly the last paragraph
think he has nailed it apart from the obvious and really did we expect him to say anything about them fair dues the the guy like him or not he has come back and given us something
well done Walt

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Indeed. That's a question that would no doubt have been followed up, if the "interview" with Paul Barber had been face-to-face, rather than by e-mail.

It certainly would have. However, as just a bloke doing a blog, in this instance I wouldn't have the necessary clout to get any answers which Mr Barber was not willing to give. Frustrating, but true. As far as a blog goes, I've got as much information as I can.

Someone like The Argus though should be in a position to be far more demanding in its questions. For example, if no details are given, they just run a story saying "The club refused to put a deadline on the long-running managerial investigation..." type thing which ends up with worse PR than if the club was up front. Far more threatening when the CITY'S paper tries that than me doing my blog.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
How do you expect me to find out about things? I don't really have a choice do I?

Take your point but you're actively choosing to read a post with additional (mostly superfluous) information. If you're likely to get annoyed by it just stick to the official announcements. If you've got a season ticket all you really really need to know is the match dates and turn up - anything else is up to you (although of course we all want to know more than that).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This line jumped out at me as well.

I am really starting to find his language annoying; "connect" and "interact" with the club. FFS people just want to support their club and go to bloody matches.

You still can do , there is no compulsion to join the membership scheme if its not for you on a personal level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why are people so desperate for Tony to massage their egos.

The guy spent a bazillion pounds on The Albion and didn't say a word.
Nobody was saying then 'god I wish Tony would force himself into the limelight, and do one more interview'.

He did the bare minimum when all of Sussex and this countries (and beyond) media loved and wanted him.

All the while Tin Pot media whore up the road and all the others get rounded on the moment they open their mouths.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Would any manager be happy with another person, i.e. David Burke, handling recruitment duties and - presumably - the retained list?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would any manager be happy with another person, i.e. David Burke, handling recruitment duties and - presumably - the retained list?
They would if they were Spanish, Italian or German, because that is what they are used too.
It's not as if the first team coach isn't consulted.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Andy Naylor isn't going to like it when he comes back from holiday and finds out he has some serious competition in the news gathering stakes.

He will just do a quick copy and paste job. Will be happy he can have an extra day off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here