Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exclusive interview with Paul Barber.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well 30,000 people could hardly eat any more pies n pints, unless the club devises a means whereby everybody who wants to buy a pie and a pint at half time is able to do so. That's got to be worth 50K minimum per game for starters. Getting rid of a few stewards is hardly going to make more than a dent in the deficit. Seems to me that to keep the business model valid, the price of tickets is going to have to rise dramatically.

So your solution is ...... sell Bridcutt, Buckley, never get short termers of the quality of Lopez, Upson and Bridge.

= guaranteed never compete.

Bridge just signed for Reading, which shows the lack of club income compared to PL parachute competitors.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
"Precious".. thanks, I think. Not sure about the alleged ramblings about what a crap job Barber is doing though, it seems you made that bit up.

During this transition to our new era as a football club, it's important for the fans to protect our values & traditions at BHAFC. Do you really want the club to become a plastic, identikit football club like all the rest - or should we aspire to be something different, something better? We have a unique & special stadium, and there is no reason our club/fan philosophy can't be too. As long as the club maintains its community & fan centric ethos, we can literally be the envy of the land - Nothing is wrong with the fans speaking up when there are concerns, it will drive the club in the right direction. If Barber is getting any stick it is because he is the man in charge of commercial affairs, in the same way that the manager is charge of footballing affairs.

Great journalism Walt - Could do with some like you at the official press conferences - didn't hold back, asking challenging questions which can't have been easy to answer.

Barber responded well - The fans understand the need to remain financially competitive especially under the FFP - and with the highest league attendances in the league, and amongst the highest ticket prices that shouldn't be a problem. The main thing is that he communicates with us before making any commercial decisions which threaten the identity and match day experience of BHAFC. He's got a tough job, and Brighton fans won't come calling for his head unless there is good reason to.

Sorry to be chasing you around, but you seem to be missing my post in other threads all night. Is it only commerial decisions now. Earlier in the other thread you wanted the club too........

You want the club to consult fans on

Match Day Experience
Shirts
Identity
The way it operates financially
Membership Schemes,
Half time Entertainment
The list goes on..........................
And finally if you are adding clackers, I'll say the list appears to be basically everything, although if thats important to you, maybe we should be consulted over the colour of the bags the pies come in?

How do they do that?

They have customer service, they receive feedback.

They have asked the club on this very forum. I wonder how many clubs do that?

They hold regular fans forums?

What else do you want?

A phone call once a week/month/year to every fan(customers) who go to the ground and spend there money?

Or maybe all fans who follow us, even if they live in Chile and who maybe only follow our results?

Who decides which fans are asked? Surely if its a very important issue like clackers on seats, it should be each and very one of us?

Seriously, how should the club consult us fans, and how do you suggest they go about that, and how regularly would you like to consult us?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
@Tubby-McFat-Fuc

I know you're new here mate - but it's important to be respectful to other NSCers and remain on-topic in each particular thread, this isn't facebook - and also not spam threads with countless of your own posts to allow others to speak.

The reason I haven't replied to this post is because it requires a lengthy reply as it is a lengthy inquisition and I am doing other things - but I can reply another time when I've got 10 minutes to do so.
I'll very much look forward to it. I just hope when they ask us all about important issues like the clackers, I just hope they ask everyone if they want left or right handed ones. They never us things like that do they. Shame on them. BARBER OUT!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes indeed. Very good hands. And mind.

There is a danger with being open and informal. And unguarded. That's why I have an 'interview' with one of my CEOs next week. Unfortunately I borrowed a strapline from one of the posters here that refers to what can't be polished, and rounded off an email with it, ccd to a wide readership. Oh, the shame . . . :-(

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Walt - given the feedback and adulation you are getting tonight you are now favourite to be our new manager. Barber IN.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Firstly, what a fantastic set of questions, really gave me an insight into what the club is trying to achieve and how they are facing the challenges of FFP and becoming a big club. Yes the romance of supporting a small club is eroding but there will come a time in the future (hopefully near) when we will become a premiership club and from there establish ourselves as a premiership club, Barber comes across as focused and very clear on what needs to be done. TB is a successful business man and he was never going to treat BHA as a hobby. There are bright days ahead and there is a clear message that nobody is bigger than the club. Well done Walt.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Really good piece - saw the link last night on Twitter, and thought Barber came across really well and didn't dodge too many issues.

Shame it had to be an email interview - that always puts the control with the interviewee when, really, it should be the other way around!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
"Precious".. thanks, I think. Not sure about the alleged ramblings about what a crap job Barber is doing though, it seems you made that bit up.

During this transition to our new era as a football club, it's important for the fans to protect our values & traditions at BHAFC. Do you really want the club to become a plastic, identikit football club like all the rest - or should we aspire to be something different, something better? We have a unique & special stadium, and there is no reason our club/fan philosophy can't be too. As long as the club maintains its community & fan centric ethos, we can literally be the envy of the land - Nothing is wrong with the fans speaking up when there are concerns, it will drive the club in the right direction. If Barber is getting any stick it is because he is the man in charge of commercial affairs, in the same way that the manager is charge of footballing affairs.

I'm afraid the main reason is FFP. If we can't get that right, we will be subject to a transfer embargo etc.. until we do. Players will be sold, JCLs (potentially) will leave, and the club could start on a dangerous slide.

Although I sympathise with what you are saying and it remains a nice idea, those days are gone. I think Barber is actually doing a good job in what feels like a 'difficult' environment in terms of financial stipulations etc....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Brilliant article Richie. Well done.

Black Dalek

Jan 19, 2004
You could have asked him if he's planning to ruin xmas again this year.
???????? MR 8ACE......Please explain!

Good article I thought. Excuse my ignorants, I've not heard of NOTWORTHTHAT. Is it a new fanzine or something!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Maybe he could sort out the website too.

It's quite appalling

Hear hear! Unfortunately I think they are tied into some ridiculous 10 year deal via the football league. Whoever agreed that supplier was insane!

I'm guessing you may know this already.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Hear hear! Unfortunately I think they are tied into some ridiculous 10 year deal via the football league. Whoever agreed that supplier was insane!

I'm guessing you may know this already.

Correct. I just visited the Reading site for news on Bridge and it's a carbon copy of our horrendous site.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
I for one am happy that the club is being operated by a businessman who knows what he's doing and is detached enough to be able to not be rattled by the massively inflated egos that populate the football world - he has no need to be Brighton born and bred, or profess love for the club, as long as when he is here he gives the club 100% of his effort and skills, and makes more right than wrong decisions, then that's good enough. The alternative is to encourage our chairman to think and act like a Fernandes at QPR and chairman at numerous other clubs (Portsmouth etc) where they succumb to vanity and pressure applied by managers in it for the short term self promotion and spend way over what can afford or what is sensible for short term results that cause long term gain. If what I have heard is right in local business networks, Tony's love for the club and wish to give it the very best, admirable as it is, did need someone to apply some commercial pressure to make sure spending didn't get out of control, and to ensure he didn't have undue pressure put on him to spend wildly in the hope it would generate instant success - It is never going to be perfect but have to take as find and for all the smaller things that might irritate or seem petty, so far from what I've seen the big decisions made at Board level look the right ones.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Great article, and seriously good questions, nice work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here