Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exclusive! (Coppell turns down Reading according to The Sun)

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
He's been offered a season ticket for Reading Racers Speedway and the lease of a 3 bed mid-terrace in Whitley Wood

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A couple of days ago, Glenn Hoddle looked a certainty. On very good authority he had been interviewed twice, was a friend of the chairman, a friend of the new director of football, and already a local resident.
Today his agent, Dennis Roach, denied there had been any contact with Reading - which seemed so wide of the mark that the cynics immediately put two and two together and decided Glenn must be still the favourite.
To add to the mystery, John Gorman, who has seldom been far from Hoddle's side during his managerial career - and himself a former Reading coach - has joined Wycombe, but only on a one-month contract. Perhaps to leave quickly should Hoddle want him at the Mad Stad?
Meanwhile, Reading, who last week made an approach to Hull for Peter Taylor, have now apparently tapped up Brighton for permission to speak to Steve Coppell. And there was no denial from either club that Coppell had been interviewed yesterday, so Brighton must have granted permission.
But then Brighton announced that they were desperately trying to talk Coppell out of leaving and that he would definitely be in charge of them for their next match.
That appears to put the lid on the Royals' stated intention of having a new man in place for their own game against Bradford on Saturday - and although some of it may be media speculation, it does seem there's a hint of desperation, and indecision in the air.
Meanwhile, the man no-one but Reading Guide is mentioning, Steve Cotterill, remains patiently on the sidelines. If we assume that Hoddle is a) too expensive, and b) genuinely not interested, then that's him out. And if Brighton really do make Coppell an offer he can't refuse, that leaves Cotterill in pole position.
There was talk in some quarters this evening that Ian Dowie was suddenly a candidate, and although he has done quite well at Oldham in a short space of time, he is not as experienced, or highly-rated, as Cotterill.

indiana

Oct 3, 2003
Manchester
After watching Sky Sports news tongiht I'd agree with you OAP-d

He is talking about being ambitious and is definately saying he doesn't reckon we'll give him that.

I don't reckon Reading will... I just hope when he gets home and thinks about today and the past 11 or so months he will change his mind.

According to our local rags the chairmen of Rotherham, Brighton, Hull and Yeovil were all asked for permission to approach their managers with an invitation to come for an interview, along with numerous out-of-work "names" and chancers. None of the chairmen refused, although Peter Taylor of Hull turned the chance down.

Kevin Dillon and Steve Coppell both made it through to a second interview along with, depending on which paper you read, Tony Adams, Glen Hoddle (who can f*** off) and Steve Cotterill. As I said on another thread, I'm not convinced Coppell really wants the job. I think he feels he ought to take it, but his heart isn't really in it. If he was up for it surely he would have come here on Wednesday or Thursday and been in charge for the Bradford game.

I have this horrible feeling we're going to end up with Lawrie Sanchez!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here