Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excellent transfer policy

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I found it almost unbelievable that people lost their pooh over 15 points.
It's even more incredulous to do it about 6 points, when a maximum of 138 are available.

A full strength Albion squad will drop more than 6 'easy' points this season.
In an ideal world it'll also pick up more than 6 unexpected points.

Complacency personified. Something I hope our beloved leaders will avoid in future...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We lose games. We will continue to lose games.
For all sorts of reasons.
We lost to Barnsley at home last season with Bridcutt, Barnes, and Buckley all playing.
and lost at home to Wigan with Ulloa, Upson, and Buckley in the squad.
Sometimes we lose. We will lose again this season with a full competitive squad.
Its fallacious to think its purely because we lost our first two matches because we hadn't got round to, for example, signing Danny Holla. Perhaps its because we have a new manager and the team were getting used to playing a new system, perhaps they had an off day, perhaps its because Crofts was unfortunate to get sent off against Sheff Weds, perhaps it was bad luck, perhaps Sheff Weds were better than we expected....
We'll lose again this season and the squad looks better now than it did 10 days ago but we its too simple to say our [lack of signings] meant we "spunked" 6 points up the wall. What happens when we next get defeated. What will we blame then ?

Statement of the obvious = we will lose again.

Here's another statement of the obvious for the rose-tinted-spectacle-wearing brigade. We were very badly prepared when the season kicked off thereby vastly increasing our chances of losing to two poor sides. We proceeded to lose to them.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Haha, and you say I'm deluded? There was nothing wrong with the approaches!

Ward - he took an awful long time to decide whether to take up Burnleys offer, how are we to blame for that? Within a week we had a highly rated youngster from the Premiership to replace him for a year (at least). Did you see him on Saturday? Did you, I, or anyone in the crowd miss Ward?
Clayton - Again, these permanent transfers are a big move for the players. He decided to stay up north. Again, within a week we had a Dutch permiership player with bags of experience.
Os winger - who cares about O's winger!?

You're too embarrassed to say you got it wrong, let's face it. Clubs can't click their fingers and the player they want arrive next day. It's not a kids game.

Who's to say we would have won the first couple of games with a full squad? It was new tactics and that always takes a few games to iron out. Open your eyes, man.

You, my friend, are the one who needs to open your eyes, although you wouldn't see much even if you did (please read on). I am not in ANY WAY embarrassed, and the club ARE continuing to update their recruitment team (also hilariously forced to wheel Barber out to 'explain' there tardy player recruitment). Meanwhile your head is so far up Burke's ar$e you can't see straight.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
But that's assuming we were Holla's first choice.

His agent may well have had a few other teams interested, with us on the back burner.

For all we know deals involving x,y & z went one way, so The Hollacopter came to us.
Had those deals gone differently Holla could have 'slipped through the net'. (not that anybody knew we were even trying to land him)

Absolutely. As I said, there may have been many reasons why the timing if the transfers were as they were. I certainly don't know the ins and outs. However, the delay in getting the majority of the positions filled says to me that it hasn't gone as well as it should and hence to state it has been an excellent transfer window is a little over optimistic or, as some may say, the statement of a licker. I also feel that the delay has cost us 6 points against poor teams but again, as someone has already pointed out, it is impossible to say gat this was only due to the lack of transfer action.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, they should. It's definitely better to get the wrong players really early than wait for the right ones. We should get 10 players in by early July in future, it doesn't matter who they are!

No. You are failing to recognise that:

1. We didn't get all of our top targets (not a problem if you're ready with the next option).
2. We didn't move onto the next one on the list quickly enough.

As a result, we looked a shambles in our first 2 league games, which we lost.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

1. We didn't get all of our top targets (not a problem if you're ready with the next option).

We probably didn't get all our top targets but we don't know that for a fact. For all we know, the club might have wanted to sign Holla before Clayton (if we were even that interested in him) but Holla had other options to look at first. You're making assumptions to suit your argument.

And my point is still valid anyway. If you know for a fact we could have signed all those players 2 months ago on the same deals then fair enough. But I'm going to assume you know as little as I do and you're just saying things to make your case.

We were poor in the first two games but we seem to have got it right now but people still seem to moan.

larus

And you're failing to accept that there are multiple parties involved, and just because player A is our top target, Brighton aren't THE biggest club in the world, so, we might not be their top choice. You really have no idea about negotiation do you. Absolutely zilch. What would you have said if we'd spent a lot of the Ulloah money on average players? The transfer window is still open and a lot of deals get done towards the end of it.

You may not like it, but we can't control this. The season isn't won or lost in the first 2-3 games; it's the long haul, and I think that the club deserve the benefit of doubt after what they've achieved in the last 3-4 seasons.
There's a huge difference between being a sycophant of the club, and saying wait to see how we are setup at the end of the transfer window.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yes, they should. It's definitely better to get the wrong players really early than wait for the right ones. We should get 10 players in by early July in future, it doesn't matter who they are!

That's all very well in theory but I seem to recall we had a more protracted managerial selection process over the summer after Oscar jumped ship at short notice. Meanwhile we brought in Toko (who?) and a couple of youngsters. Ideally you actually bring in players that suit your new manager's playing style. It is now apparent that Sami plays a different system to Oscar, which seems to be finding favour among most fans. The squad now looks significantly different to a few weeks ago and the transfer window hasn't finished. Plus there is the loan window to come.

The defeats in our first two league games were unfortunate but hardly one sided batterings. Clearly we were work in progress but also don't overlook that foolish red card and a questionable Refereeing decision against Sheff Weds plus some wasted chances against Brum. A couple of draws from those games and we would be in the play off positions. It's a fine line.

We are quietly rebuilding the squad, developing a new playing style and it is beginning to show benefits. Tony Bloom promised that the squad would be ok come 1st Sept, he is fulfilling that promise. We cannot compete with the 13 or so clubs that enjoy parachute money. OK we have generated very decent income from sales of key players, presumably there is a chunk of money available in the kitty but some of the fees being sought are ridiculous. So we are doing shrewd transfer business - and maybe there is more to come?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

Is David Burke having it off with your missus? your incessant sniping and back biting towards him clearly cuts deeper than anyone on this board could imagine. Give it a rest eh?
We clearly had a recruitment strategy in place hence TB saying judge the business we do on September 1st. Recruitment is one of Burkes remits so too was setting up the academy I think you need to look at the bigger picture.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Statement of the obvious = we will lose again.

Here's another statement of the obvious for the rose-tinted-spectacle-wearing brigade. We were very badly prepared when the season kicked off thereby vastly increasing our chances of losing to two poor sides. We proceeded to lose to them.

Here's another statement of the obvious:
The season starts on 9 August. The transfer window closes on 1 September.
The club think that there's better value to be found between these dates, rather than before the former. From what we saw on Saturday, the club are right.
Holla (Clayton)
Teixiera (anyone else/Lingard)
Bennett (Ward)
Let's hope they're right about Conunga too; I have a feeling they will be.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's all very well in theory but I seem to recall we had a more protracted managerial selection process over the summer after Oscar jumped ship at short notice. Meanwhile we brought in Toko (who?) and a couple of youngsters. Ideally you actually bring in players that suit your new manager's playing style. It is now apparent that Sami plays a different system to Oscar, which seems to be finding favour among most fans. The squad now looks significantly different to a few weeks ago and the transfer window hasn't finished. Plus there is the loan window to come.

The defeats in our first two league games were unfortunate but hardly one sided batterings. Clearly we were work in progress but also don't overlook that foolish red card and a questionable Refereeing decision against Sheff Weds plus some wasted chances against Brum. A couple of draws from those games and we would be in the play off positions. It's a fine line.

We are quietly rebuilding the squad, developing a new playing style and it is beginning to show benefits. Tony Bloom promised that the squad would be ok come 1st Sept, he is fulfilling that promise. We cannot compete with the 13 or so clubs that enjoy parachute money. OK we have generated very decent income from sales of key players, presumably there is a chunk of money available in the kitty but some of the fees being sought are ridiculous. So we are doing shrewd transfer business - and maybe there is more to come?

From what we know, not so sure that Blackpool, Bolton, Fulham or Reading look as though they'll be competing with us this season.

larus

His post wasn't serious. Sarcasm....

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Clayton was the DM target, if we had got him we wouldn't have Holla.
Not sure.

Could Holla have been the number 1 target and Clayton 2nd choice ? ???

Maybe we pulled out of a deal for Clayton because Holla was looking very likely ? ???

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not sure.

Could Holla have been the number 1 target and Clayton 2nd choice ? ???

Maybe we pulled out of a deal for Clayton because Holla was looking very likely ? ???

Why would we want to offer £1.5m plus on a second choice if our first choice was free then?

Clayton didn't take us up on our offer, and we didn't pull out.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
From what we know, not so sure that Blackpool, Bolton, Fulham or Reading look as though they'll be competing with us this season.

We should savour out punching those clubs who enjoyed parachute money - thank goodness we don't have Bolton's debts, Blackpool's Chairman or Fulham and Reading's foreign owners who are all currently making a pigs ear of what should have been a privileged financial position.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Why do I get the feeling you were one of those that emailed Barber setting out how bad our recruitment system is/was and using the word 'chaos'

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Considering two of our opponents thus far have been absolute tosh, and the other two mediocre!, I'm
going to see how we fair against a more organized team in Charlton before I start getting excited!.

Agree with this, we need to see how they perform against the top to middling teams, so far we have played 4-teams that look bottom 10 material and won 2 lost 2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here