Feb 21, 2009
The most useless function in Excel must be roman

eg =roman(2014)

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
MMXIV unless I am mistaken

That's right.

The Roman empire stretched from the far south east corner of Europe up to the Scottish border, yet they managed on a mathematical system that had

X times X = C
II times V = X
C times C = M etc

They didn't really contribute much to the discipline of Mathematics. I ask you, what did the Romans ever do for us?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
As disappointing threads go, this is right up there with the best (worst).

This was a perfect opportunity to hold a virtual beauty pageant of the Excel ninjas who grace this fine forum who could have dusted off their very best vlookups and done battle to be crowned Excel King.

But, no, you asked for PMs. Pathetic.

VLookUp..? Pah... More efficient to use INDEX & MATCH combined in a single formula. Allows for searches in columns to the left and right, takes less memory and is quicker.

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
VLookUp..? Pah... More efficient to use INDEX & MATCH combined in a single formula. Allows for searches in columns to the left and right, takes less memory and is quicker.

was just about to post exactly the same !!
Also avoids the problems with ordering the lookup parameter :thumbsup:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I love Excel and learn new things all the time......but pivot tables, what's that all about!

You're kidding right?

Pivot tables are how you bamboozle middle management and board meetings into thinking that you are a statistics GOD.

(yes I am a "consultant")

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You're kidding right?

Pivot tables are how you bamboozle middle management and board meetings into thinking that you are a statistics GOD.

(yes I am a "consultant")

I remember years ago when dwayne discovered pivot tables and then tried to convince everyone on here that this meant he was set for a record-breaking career in IT :lolol:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Unlike Word, which is terrible however it's used. I hate Word. I really, really do. Sorry, had to get that off my chest and it looked like an opportune time to do so.

I agree. WordPerfect was (is?) so much more intuitive but was sadly eclipsed by the Microsoft's Word.

Come to that, I was also fond of the "killer app" Lotus 1-2-3 although it's purchase by IBM and subsequent lack of investment inevitably meant it would lose out to Excel and fall under the wheels of the Microsoft juggernaut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here