Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Examples of amazing comebacks please.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
I was going to delete my post because I can’t be bothered replying to people continuously having a go for my original post or posting a silly light-heated cartoon of a flying pig. But you piled in too so why don’t you read the room? - It is not just me who has said it is extremely unlikely we can get a 5 goal difference on Thursday. I’ve quoted at least 4 or 5 other people who have also posted realistic or sensible responses to our chances on Thursday that no one has objected to..some even saying we shouldn’t even bother to try.

You can’t decide that a thread is only allowed to have posts that support the original premise of the thread or only one side is allowed to hold unrealistic or lighthearted views and that no one is allowed to counter them.

Anyway, dream on.
I think you wind people up by continually moving the goal posts with your posting and what you deem “acceptable” for others to post.

Now you’re saying to someone else that “you can’t decide that a thread is only allowed to have posts that suppport the original premise” but very recently you were aggressively asking mods to lock “your” thread when it strayed off topic!

You can’t have it both ways.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Read the room! No one wants a sensible or realistic evaluation of our chances on a thread clearly intended to be outrageously optimistic. And very few readers ever bother reading posts over one paragraph long.
TLDR - edit - oh ffs @Bodian beat me to it - I really should read the one word posts.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Anything can happen. Strange things can happen. Teams can come to the Amex and win 5-1 without hardly having the ball. That Aussie speedskatern (Bradbury?) that won an Olympic gold medal because everybody else just fell left, right for a couple of days. He was really the last man standing. Who would have thought that some American college kids would win against CCCP in 1980, a team that was more or less unbeatable. Roma thinks they are already in the next round, fixing their hair and stuff. Just a goal or two in the first half and it's game on. Get into the box, get a penalty or whatever. We can do it! Probably easier than winning six out of the 10 games left.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Anything can happen. Strange things can happen. Teams can come to the Amex and win 5-1 without hardly having the ball. That Aussie speedskatern (Bradbury?) that won an Olympic gold medal because everybody else just fell left, right for a couple of days. He was really the last man standing. Who would have thought that some American college kids would win against CCCP in 1980, a team that was more or less unbeatable. Roma thinks they are already in the next round, fixing their hair and stuff. Just a goal or two in the first half and it's game on. Get into the box, get a penalty or whatever. We can do it! Probably easier than winning six out of the 10 games left.
The very definition of the commentators curse

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think you wind people up by continually moving the goal posts with your posting and what you deem “acceptable” for others to post.

Now you’re saying to someone else that “you can’t decide that a thread is only allowed to have posts that suppport the original premise” but very recently you were aggressively asking mods to lock “your” thread when it strayed off topic!

You can’t have it both ways.
And still piling it on eh? 🙂

I was hardly ’aggressive’ in asking if was time to lock a thread that had strayed off course - I accepted that that was ott - ancient history. It is also different to keeping a thread on topic but just expressing an alternative view to the majority- I have never sought to silence anyone on those grounds ie by using personal attacks, mocking them or generally being rude and disrespectful.

As for ‘continually moving goal posts’ with my posting, I adapt when necessary and often take nuanced positions on issues which more often than not are interpreted as polarised views by one side of a debate or the other when they are not. I am not a person who has a fundamentalist position with regard to any topic and am rooted rather in reality and pragmatism.

This has all got very silly and personal just because I have expressed the extreme unlikelyhood that we can beat Roma by a 5 goal difference.

Live with it - I hope I am utterly wrong and we beat them by 8:0 if it makes you feel any better 👍

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
And still piling it on eh? 🙂

I was hardly ’aggressive’ in asking if was time to lock a thread that had strayed off course - I accepted that that was ott - ancient history. It is also different to keeping a thread on topic but just expressing an alternative view to the majority- I have never sought to silence anyone on those grounds ie by using personal attacks, mocking them or generally being rude and disrespectful.

As for ‘continually moving goal posts’ with my posting, I adapt when necessary and often take nuanced positions on issues which more often than not are interpreted as polarised views by one side of a debate or the other when they are not. I am not a person who has a fundamentalist position with regard to any topic and am rooted rather in reality and pragmatism.

This has all got very silly and personal just because I have expressed the extreme unlikelyhood that we can beat Roma by a 5 goal difference.

Live with it 👍
Can’t see that anyone has got personal in their responses?

You don’t seem to like it when people don’t agree with you and take it personally.

It’s a forum of opinions. Live with it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Ronnie's Al-Nassr, almost. Asian Champions League 1/4 final.
0:3 down to Al-Ain he scores an 118th pen to come back to 4:4
Sadly Ronaldo went out 3:1 on pens.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Read the room! No one wants a sensible or realistic evaluation of our chances on a thread clearly intended to be outrageously optimistic. And very few readers ever bother reading posts over one paragraph long.
I'm saddened that you think my thread was 'outrageously optimistic', I have never been called 'outrageously optimistic' , on this matter most of my friends have just kept it simple and asked what drugs I've been taking. ;)

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to be dancing all the way to the Amex on Thurs. :albion::cheery::rave:

I was going to show the thread to Jnr to attempt to inject him with some optimism but I've just realised I'll out my username to him. This would then lead to accusations of embarrassing him and I do that already without actually doing anything. :lolol::albion2:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I'm saddened that you think my thread was 'outrageously optimistic', I have never been called 'outrageously optimistic' , on this matter most of my friends have just kept it simple and asked what drugs I've been taking. ;)
lol I’m saddened that by expressing a more realistic view of our chances, I was made to feel very unwelcome for expressing out loud what (if people were being honest) is a POV most would agree with.

I think you and I are very much on the same page though and there is always HOPE so apologies for mucking up your thread if you feel I have 👍

I will be there on Thursday too thanking the team and celebrating our first campaign in Europe.

We will win the match I predict.

UTA

Hopefully more acceptable to the ’outrageously optimistic‘ than a cartoon flying pig 😜

IMG_0930.jpeg

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
lol I’m saddened that by expressing a more realistic view of our chances, I was made to feel very unwelcome for expressing out loud what (if people were being honest) is a POV most would agree with.

I think you and I are very much on the same page though and there is always HOPE so apologies for mucking up your thread if you feel I have 👍

I will be there on Thursday too thanking the team and celebrating our first campaign in Europe.

We will win the match I predict.

UTA

Hopefully more acceptable to the ’outrageously optimistic‘ than a cartoon flying pig 😜

View attachment 178581
No, I don't think you've mucked up my thread at all.
I only wanted proof that it can and does happen to back up my optimism. Jnr still doesn't know we're going on Thur so I need extra optimism to pass onto him before we go! :lolol:
I'm sure we'll win, it's been amazing whatever happens. :ascarf: Hope it stops f**king raining though, my boots didn't recover from the AEK match very well. :rolleyes:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
We need to score 4 to be back in it

I’ve followed this club enough to know there’s a next level of heart ache so have put on a few quid at 40/1 that the tie goes to penalties (regardless of the result!)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
If this thread is any kind of guide to how Thursday will go then I fear we are in for a long night.

Extremely faint hints of optimism quickly drowned in a binfest of people shouting at each other about exactly how unlikely beating Roma by 4 goals is.

Complete shambles all round.
And that’s why we love it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here