Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Exam results

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I thought all Unis have been advised to hold places even if grades not good enough dependant on appeals ?

seems to me if theres a cock up on grade level the universities will need to change procedure to fill spaces. wasnt long ago they were worrying if they'll have enough students to stay open (or was that to get a hand out?)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Does this mean we are going to be denied the annual pictures of 17-year old blonde triplets jumping in the air holding bits of paper? :down:

I read an article about this the other day. It was in the FT and he revealed that these pictures weren't random but actively encouraged by the schools themselves. Some weeks before the results were due, newspapers were sent emails by schools begging them to come and take pictures of their lovely young ladies, some pointing that they have particularly tasty students this year.

The worst was the school that said that they were having a sports day next week and invited the journalists to come and gawp at the girls in their sportswear and select which ones they wanted. The journalist also pointed out that every invitation was from an independent school - no state school had sent one. It sounds too horrific to be true but as it's the FT, it's probably pretty accurate.

Presumably the parents are happy about their daughters being presented in this way but I certainly wouldn't be.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
This year there was never going to be a fair way of deciding grades. The bottom line is that statistically any student can achieve any grade. Teachers have been asked to predict a grade, so for example you teach each student x, they may achieve a grade A but maybe have a 1 in 10 chance, or maybe a grade B say 2 in 10 chance or a C say 4 in 10 chance or a D 2 in 10, E 1 in 10. So professionally what do you predict ? Would say B or Cor more precisely C or B. The problem is that not all students will reach their maximum potential, in fact most will not. This is where moderation comes in, it needs to look at the statistical potential of students given their grades at entry. Teachers had little advice on how to award grades, so some given the scenario above will have predicted C, some B and some A.. this is where ranking comes in, if grades are moderated down, the borderline students are the ones to be down graded. Whilst I have little confidence in the exam board stats, I believe that the stance in Scotland will lead to even more inequality. There will be so much pressure in England to follow suit. If grades are awarded on predicted there is likely to be a 40% increase increase in grades. Ultimately I believe students from independent schools will have been predicted higher grades and thus have an advantage when it comes to university places. The whole thing s a massive **** up.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I read an article about this the other day. It was in the FT and he revealed that these pictures weren't random but actively encouraged by the schools themselves. Some weeks before the results were due, newspapers were sent emails by schools begging them to come and take pictures of their lovely young ladies, some pointing that they have particularly tasty students this year.

The worst was the school that said that they were having a sports day next week and invited the journalists to come and gawp at the girls in their sportswear and select which ones they wanted. The journalist also pointed out that every invitation was from an independent school - no state school had sent one. It sounds too horrific to be true but as it's the FT, it's probably pretty accurate.

Presumably the parents are happy about their daughters being presented in this way but I certainly wouldn't be.

Sounds wildly unlikely. For one thing, press photographers don't spend two days taking a photo. They want to be in and out in five minutes. How many schools would be fool enough to believe that a photographer is going to make an appointment, or even two appointments, to take a particular photo? So much easier to just turn up and grab a photo opportunity at random.

For another, are there a lot of independent schools willing to portray themselves, in writing, as treating their children as sex objects? I doubt it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sounds wildly unlikely. For one thing, press photographers don't spend two days taking a photo. They want to be in and out in five minutes. How many schools would be fool enough to believe that a photographer is going to make an appointment, or even two appointments, to take a particular photo? So much easier to just turn up and grab a photo opportunity at random.

For another, are there a lot of independent schools willing to portray themselves, in writing, as treating their children as sex objects? I doubt it.

It sounded bizarre to me but this was the FT - not the Daily Star or The Sun

Although, your point about photographers is not valid. It's precisely because they want to be in and out in a few minutes that they'd want to turn up at a school where there'd be welcomed and have willing victims, er, models in mind.

Here's the piece (I should have added it was an old article) - it's strikingly precise

https://www.ft.com/content/54f49ade-bc80-11e0-adac-00144feabdc0

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
We are very lucky. My daughter did a btec got her results on Saturday and got what she needed for the uni place she wanted. Her offer was DDM and she got DDD (UCAS equivalent 3 As in A Levels) so happy. She had already sat the exams for her course and her assignments were complete for most modules. I don’t think there was much guess work on her results, but until we saw it writing it was still a concern. Her friends who did A Levels are worried, poor kids. This is a right *uck up, I hope it works out OK for everyone.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
My twin boys should get their BTEC results on Thursday, and depends on what they get to determine if and which university they each get into.

My mum (their grandma) died this morning so keeping it from them until after the results to ensure less for them to think about - sure they are worried enough (albeit quietly keeping it to themselves) without knowing about that.

Wow, sorry to hear that mate, bloody hopy they get good grades or finding out they didn't AND gran died is going to be one hell of a bad day for them.
You have my sympathy for your mum and my best wishes for your kids.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/educati...r-england-must-alter-course-on-a-level-grades Students in England now being allowed to use mock exam results instead (under certain conditions)

funny really as i thought one of the points of mocks was a backup exam, and that mocks were supposed to predict grades when exams were cancelled back in the spring.

whole thing is odd, they seem to have introduced a computer algorithm because they didnt trust teachers grades, now they dont trust the computer algorithm. just let the teacher grades stand, inflated or not, and let the colleges and university sift through.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
My twin boys should get their BTEC results on Thursday, and depends on what they get to determine if and which university they each get into.

My mum (their grandma) died this morning so keeping it from them until after the results to ensure less for them to think about - sure they are worried enough (albeit quietly keeping it to themselves) without knowing about that.
Sorry to hear that bud..

Hope you and family are ok.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
funny really as i thought one of the points of mocks was a backup exam, and that mocks were supposed to predict grades when exams were cancelled back in the spring.

whole thing is odd, they seem to have introduced a computer algorithm because they didnt trust teachers grades, now they dont trust the computer algorithm. just let the teacher grades stand, inflated or not, and let the colleges and university sift through.

Not so much a computer algorithm but a simple case of lets bump little lord fontelroys mark at Eton up as despite the fact he is as thick as shite, mummy and daddy are stinking rich and lets bump leroys mark down at a state school because I am sure he will never make anything of his live. It is a chance for the government to manage access to higher education.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I don't have kids of exam age, but my partner is a teacher. It's a different sort of stress to parents and students I know, but the amount of pressure teaching staff were under to produce the final grades was ridiculous. My partner had to chose which students were to fail one or both of their English GCSEs based on the fact that 40% would probably fail. She had to chose kids getting what used to be BS and Cs to fail based on data going back to year six. Her recommendation had to go through department leaders and then school leaders before the data was sent off, meaning that more of her students could be failed after her grades had been accepted.

Anecdotal example - a kid my partner has taught for five years should be aiming to get a level 5/6 in their GCSEs. The only data they have is from year 6 and so their prediction is to get a 3. That's a B to a D. This is the most extreme example, but there are many cases across her classes where data is not available to predict grades.

The mock tests are not standardised a cross the country, sometimes not in the same school. They're marked more harshly for the higher ability students and more generously for the lower ability students. If you're not at a private or grammar school, there is a good chance you'll miss out in some way.

I don't want this comment to stray too close to bear pit territory but the government have really messed this up. They seem to be doing things on the hoof without forward planning or consultation. Teachers and schools have been kept in the dark. What's happened in Scotland has somewhat forced their hand, but this should have been prepared for properly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't want this comment to stray too close to bear pit territory but the government have really messed this up. They seem to be doing things on the hoof without forward planning or consultation.

TBH, those sentences could have been used on the Brexit and Covid threads too

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Anecdotal example - a kid my partner has taught for five years should be aiming to get a level 5/6 in their GCSEs. The only data they have is from year 6 and so their prediction is to get a 3. That's a B to a D. This is the most extreme example, but there are many cases across her classes where data is not available to predict grades.

they've had no assessment for their whole time in school? how do they monitor progress and identify those falling behind?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton

Sorry to hear that. Hope your lads get the results they need.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011

Tough times. Wishing you all well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here