[Other Sport] Ex footballers in the Boxing ring, who would you match and be happy to pay to watch?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Didn't the commentary team pick up on a bit of handbags between Dunky and Slabhead on Sunday?

They suggested Maguire was the harder?
Would be good to see a full-on MMA rather than the old Queensbury rules stuff.
I think Dunky could be a handful?

Edit:
Bum, just seen there is a poll on this very matchup - mybad
ooh, and Dunky winning by a country mile too.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well not ex footballers but I’ve just seen David Haye drive past Preston Park heading into Brighton his convertible Roll’s complete with D Haye number plate, wonder what he’s in town for?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Mick Harford v Duncan Ferguson :catfight:

This. Big Dunc is seriously scary, l'd hate a Glesgae kiss off him!

Personally l'd love to see that all to brief skirmish between Darren Moore, and our very own Ian Baird play out, during our last game at the Goldstone in 1997. They looked very well matched, and neither of them were exactly shrinking violets.

Either that, or pair someone up with big Doug Rougvie.

Interesting, l've only just realised as l'm typing this, that Ferguson and Rougvie are both Scots, and even Ian Baird had a few seasons playing north of the border. I wonder if we can read anything into that? :catfight:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's long gone now but I'd have paid good money to see Dave Mackay in his prime take on Duncan Ferguson.

I reckon he'd have had Big Dunc begging for mercy

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think both the Fashanu boys could box couldn't they.

So I would put Joey Barton in with John.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The recent repeat of MotD's discussion about hard men reminded me of this: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12158603.duncan-ferguson-fights-off-two-intruders/

That is what I'd like to have seen. The pure comedy of two burglars breaking into a house and then recognising Big Dunc. I love the understated reporting of one fleeing and the one that was still on the premises 'having been detained by the householder' then being taken to hospital in an ambulance. Like a cross between Home Alone and the backroom scene from Pulp Fiction. I hadn't realised that Ferguson's house had another attempted burglary a couple of years after this. The second bloke seems to have been off his face and on his own. He tried to hit Dunc over the head with a vodka bottle. He spent two days in hospital and four years inside, probably relieved to be in a safer place.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Alex Scott vs Hope Solo

I mean, it'd be more wrestling than boxing if I'm being honest...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The recent repeat of MotD's discussion about hard men reminded me of this: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12158603.duncan-ferguson-fights-off-two-intruders/

That is what I'd like to have seen. The pure comedy of two burglars breaking into a house and then recognising Big Dunc. I love the understated reporting of one fleeing and the one that was still on the premises 'having been detained by the householder' then being taken to hospital in an ambulance. Like a cross between Home Alone and the backroom scene from Pulp Fiction. I hadn't realised that Ferguson's house had another attempted burglary a couple of years after this. The second bloke seems to have been off his face and on his own. He tried to hit Dunc over the head with a vodka bottle. He spent two days in hospital and four years inside, probably relieved to be in a safer place.

I remember having a giggle about that story as well. Of all the footballers houses they could have burgled they had to choose Duncan Ferguson, guy was a nutter, gave zeros f’s. He beat the living daylights out of the one of the guys.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Assuming it was actually a Boxing match, I'd probably back Roy Keane against almost anyone. Not just because he still comes across as someone who'd offer his own shadow out if he'd spilled his pint; but he trained as a boxer as a youngster and went back to it after he damaged his cruciate ligament.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports