Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton Points Deduction.

SAC

May 21, 2014
There was talk of City being stripped of titles. Yeh I don't see it either, but that would register 9.9 on the hilarity scale
If they cheated to get these titles/cups, all honours won during this period should be taken away from them (but not given to anyone else as this opens up a can of worms).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Makes it sound like that is the punishment the premier league are hoping to have, but will be an independent body that decides (and may not go as far).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Hope they do the same with City…. Any cheats needs to be punished
All a 12 point deduction would do to City is (possibly) stop them winning the league for one season. Which makes the cheating more than worth it over the last ten seasons.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
In fact I believe the PL have said it should be a maximum of 12 points and of course they have to be found guilty first

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Absolutely zero chance they'll get a points deduction just doesn't happen in the Premier league

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I thought I read Man City’s was so bad it was probable they would end up with relegation to League2 or even National League so now the top QC’s in the country are now employed by PL and Man City to fight it out.

I think Leicester, Leeds and Southampton have said they will sue Everton if they are found guilty

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It's an article in the Telegraph, behind the Paywall. Seems to suggest that Everton will argue for extenuating circumstances (COVID etc) but that the PL want to throw the book at them anyway.
Everton's problem is that their covid losses claim includes in the region of £100m for "a significant contraction in the transfer market which resulted in the inability to generate the level of transfer fees which could reasonably have been expected pre-pandemic."

No other club made that claim, so far as I know, and the claim that they could have sold players for more money but their purchase of players was not affected is a clear nonsense.

Part of their problem, I think, is that they worked with someone at the PL to get the figures under the total. (They have admitted this.) The PL representative(s) were presumably looking for plausible tales that they could "officially" believe to get the numbers passed without anyone querying too hard. Then clubs like Burnley and Leeds who finished third bottom just behind Everton did start querying the figures too hard, and they had no further options to change them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Everton's problem is that their covid losses claim includes in the region of £100m for "a significant contraction in the transfer market which resulted in the inability to generate the level of transfer fees which could reasonably have been expected pre-pandemic."

No other club made that claim, so far as I know, and the claim that they could have sold players for more money but their purchase of players was not affected is a clear nonsense.

Part of their problem, I think, is that they worked with someone at the PL to get the figures under the total. (They have admitted this.) The PL representative(s) were presumably looking for plausible tales that they could "officially" believe to get the numbers passed without anyone querying too hard. Then clubs like Burnley and Leeds who finished third bottom just behind Everton did start querying the figures too hard, and they had no further options to change them.

Wasn’t the timeline that first Moshiri cheated FFP/sustainability over more than one season. Then once the cheating became known due to the time lag in producing historical accounts, the PL latterly have worked with them behind the scenes to end or reduce the cheating eg encouraging reduced transfer spending. Hence a couple of lower spending windows. So two different events and no excuse for the rule breaking.

The pandemic/behind closed doors is a complete red herring from Everton. The PL gave more financial leeway to all clubs, but Everton’s £585m transfer fees spend with wages on a par, was against the rules they signed up to. There’s no valid reason why their pandemic losses should be greater than say Villa, West Ham, Newcastle.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I personally think the PL want rid of City for what ever reason, same as UEFA.

Shows how bad the league is

9 games in and being on -5 isn't a death sentence.
They don't want city to become established as best team in Europe at the expense of Real or Barca.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here