Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton get government go-ahead for new stadium

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
of the loveable old toffees. delusions of grandeur most of them. in the 80s it was a shitehole city run by crooks. fast forward 40 years and guess what

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...l-may-have-squandered-up-to-100m-public-money

Liverpool council may have squandered up to £100m of public money
Sources say authority at centre of corruption allegations lost millions through questionable transactions

As much as £100m of public money is believed to have been squandered by a “dysfunctional” council at the centre of corruption allegations.

Multiple sources said Liverpool city council was thought to have lost out on tens of millions of pounds “at a conservative estimate” through questionable transactions over several years.

While the true cost to taxpayers may never be known, it is thought that in the region of £100m has been identified as “at risk” from the “serious breakdown of governance” uncovered by a government-commissioned inspection.

A report by Max Caller, a local government executive, found multiple failures at the local authority including the awarding of “dubious contracts”, a lack of record-keeping and “an environment of intimidation” in one of its main departments.

Robert Jenrick, the local government secretary, announced on Wednesday that a team of government commissioners would be drafted in to oversee large parts of the council’s responsibilities for at least three years in an unprecedented move given the size of the city.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Goodison Park is an absolute shithole of the highest order. If you've only been to the Amex you won't catch your breath how bad Goodison is, should be condemned. The new stadium can't come soon enough.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Looks alright. Still not a patch on the new NFL behemoths that have gone up in the USA the last few years. They just show so much more imagination in their stadium designs than we do over here.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I’m very pleased for them. Like Everton as a club. However, anyone else slightly envious of how quick (compared to us) it’s all been. How easy it’s been (unless I missed all the marches, letters, flowers, songs etc) Another example of one rule for the establishment, another for the also rans...

It has not been straightforward for Everton. This is the third new stadium plan in the last 20 years to reach advanced stages (or fourth if you count the proposal to share the Stanley Park stadium that Liverpool were once planning on building, but I am not convinced this was ever a credible outcome).

In around 2000 they revealed plans to move to a new stadium at King's Dock, but this collapsed in 2003 primarily because Everton could not raise the finance.

In 2006 they planned a new stadium in Kirkby, but these plans were killed off after a public inquiry in 2009.

Bramley Moore was revealed as a preferred site in January 2017, over 4 years ago. There is still the question of finance and as history has shown this is not a slam dunk certainty. By the time it's built it will be a nigh on 25 year journey.

I hope they succeed this time.

Larry Boyd

Banned
Feb 25, 2021
Presumably you didn’t fight the good fight back in the day?

Yes off course I did, the point I'm making is maybe the new Everton stadium was granted planning permission far more quickly than the Amex because the proposed site wasn't seen to have the issues the proposed site for the Amex had. I don't think it's a case of the big club flexing their muscles in order to expedite gaining planning permission.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Yes off course I did, the point I'm making is maybe the new Everton stadium was granted planning permission far more quickly than the Amex because the proposed site wasn't seen to have the issues the proposed site for the Amex had. I don't think it's a case of the big club flexing their muscles in order to expedite gaining planning permission.
More a case of the (ex) mayor of Scouseland being an Everton fan.

Larry Boyd

Banned
Feb 25, 2021
More a case of the (ex) mayor of Scouseland being an Everton fan.

Oh well you take the luck going when you can, if someone of sufficient ranking and an Albion fan had 'pulled a few strings' to speed up gaining planning for the Amex I don't think any of us would've objected!!!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
looks good, but imagine how bloody freezing walking around outside in winter. Frigging ice cold winds coming at you and all that water .....

best get yourselves a nice warm padded jacket

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Great club Everton but they are on the list of "meh just not interested" clubs. We all have them. Clubs with an irrational dislike, some we have a respect for, some we dislike, and some like Everton, just "meh". Totally irrational as all clubs fans are all pretty similar. Other "meh" clubs are Watford, Reading, Southampton, Bournemouth, Brentford, Man City, Newcastle, Leicester and quite a few more ! barmy really. The only club in Merseyside I've the remotest bit of interest in is Tranmere Rovers, but not even sure if The Wirral counts as Merseyside.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Imagination... or money?

The NFL stadia often literally cost billions of dollars, where is this is expected to cost "only" £500m.

Spurs stadium cost just north of £1bn, and still isn't as impressive as some of the new builds over there.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Oh well you take the luck going when you can, if someone of sufficient ranking and an Albion fan had 'pulled a few strings' to speed up gaining planning for the Amex I don't think any of us would've objected!!!

Thought we had big John Prescott in our pocket for the Amex, or that's what Lewes District Council (?) said after he watched Hull play us?

Also, I hope Everton have a 'valid' correctly dated letter of government approval, or what ever the problem was with ours that Lewes objected too..

I'm still fuming with the bureaucracy and pettiness of those final hurdles my local council made us jump through.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great club Everton but they are on the list of "meh just not interested" clubs. We all have them. Clubs with an irrational dislike, some we have a respect for, some we dislike, and some like Everton, just "meh". Totally irrational as all clubs fans are all pretty similar. Other "meh" clubs for me personally are Watford, Reading, Southampton, Bournemouth, Brentford, Man City, Newcastle, Leicester and quite a few more ! barmy really. The only club in Merseyside I've the remotest bit of interest in is Tranmere Rovers, but not even sure if The Wirral counts as Merseyside.

Editied for you.

Reading, Stains, Plucky, Bentford, Toon....all clubs I dislike for different reasons. Any other team in our division....dislike. Any team we've had 'dealings' with in the last 20 years, dislike.

I am meh about AFC Wimbledon, Rushden and Diamonds and Accrington Stanley. I nearly wrote 'Mansfield' but then remembered Chris Greenacre :rant:

Football, though. All about opinions :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here