Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton fc

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
As already said.

Everton at home will comfortably be the most perplexing 90 minutes of this season.

The one thing that they had at the beginning of the season was decent wingers, recently signed and looking to impress. With Burn, March and Lamptey injured, Veltman on the bench, not match fit, and Cucurella yet to arrive, we started the game with Gross and Moder as wing-backs/wide midfielders up against Townsend and Gray. It was a typical early season anomaly that suggests why the transfer deadline should be at the start of the season not a month into it. Very annoying but seems typical. It's probably confirmation bias but it seems that we never get to play teams when they are at their worst - Had we played Newcastle then and Everton now, we'd be six points better off.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
No one has been docked points in the PL for 10 years since Portsmouth went into administration. With all the billions being chucked around, shows how corrupt the PL is.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The one thing that they had at the beginning of the season was decent wingers, recently signed and looking to impress. With Burn, March and Lamptey injured, Veltman on the bench, not match fit, and Cucurella yet to arrive, we started the game with Gross and Moder as wing-backs/wide midfielders up against Townsend and Gray. It was a typical early season anomaly that suggests why the transfer deadline should be at the start of the season not a month into it. Very annoying but seems typical. It's probably confirmation bias but it seems that we never get to play teams when they are at their worst - Had we played Newcastle then and Everton now, we'd be six points better off.

To be fair we did play Newcastle at home when they were hopeless

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Unfortunately EVERY PL team will take one look at our home record and think "Right. Got a real chance here chaps. Lets not waste it"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As already said.

Everton at home will comfortably be the most perplexing 90 minutes of this season.

Ish.

We had Moder and Gross as our wingbacks. Always a potentially bad situation. Everton still in early days of Rafa and feeling optimistic, he set his gameplan to mercilessly exploit those wing areas, and we had no answer.

You are right in that it is surprising quite how far they've fallen since then.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Still their new ground will attract a lot of away fans when they start their campaign in League One.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
You are right in that it is surprising quite how far they've fallen since then.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but not all of us are surprised it didn't go well.

It's a safe appointment, but in my opinion, an uninspiring appointment. I don't think he's a modern manager and while his team will be organised and difficult to beat, they won't be challenging for a Cup and they won't be doing anything they don't do every season in the league. I really think his time at the top level should have passed, but I like the man and while I don't think he'll do very well I don't wish him bad luck or ill fortune.

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...on-confirmed&p=9914797&viewfull=1#post9914797

He did slightly better than I expected, but I did say Everton would be looking for a new manager in 6-10 months. [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION] also called it correctly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Sure.
But my memory of the game going in was no chance.
I don't remember us laying a glove on them
They ripped through us at will.
And it was all 'yeah fair enough'.

To only collect another 10(ish) points from then is staggering.

Muscle memory alone should have easily doubled their tally, esp with the 'quality' in our half of the division.

The very definition of a basket case club.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Leeds, I remember being shocked by the speed of their demise; Champions League semi to relegation in 2 years, due to horrendous overspending and financial mismanagement.

Everton went one better in their past. Division One winners, relegated to Division 2 couple seasons later. Obviously though this isn’t mentioned because Football started in 1993 as everyone keeps being told by the PL.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Not quite starting from the same high, but Sunderland Are A Big Club's demise from PL to League 1 in 2 seasons was pretty impressive/hilarious, particularly as they have now reached the playoffs but failed to get promoted 4 seasons in a row...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sure.
But my memory of the game going in was no chance.
I don't remember us laying a glove on them
They ripped through us at will.
And it was all 'yeah fair enough'.

To only collect another 10(ish) points from then is staggering.

Muscle memory alone should have easily doubled their tally, esp with the 'quality' in our half of the division.

The very definition of a basket case club.

I do agree, but their strengths completely matched our weakness on that day more by happenstance than tactical nous. Whippet wingers against slow midfielders, converted into confused wingbacks would always have ended the way it did. If we'd played them a week later with Cucurella and Veltman, I suspect the result would have been different. I'm with you on the "yeah fair enough" though, but more for the known reasons above than because they were that much better.

They are awful though. How I'd laugh if another of the "old elite" get relegated

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s Frank Lampard’s Everton not Everton FC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Come on.

It's Frank Lampard's Derby's Frank Lampard's Chelsea's Frank Lampard's Everton. FFS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here