Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever wondered what Twitter looked like in the 1950s?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Does drinking craft beer make you less of a man? Why, just the other night some round our table were enjoying a stout at 12%. I'm not one to judge manliness by what someone like to drink but that's got to be manlier than the traditional "blokes" order of 8 pints of Fosters and a Stella for "Mad Dave"?
Me? ooh, another Campari please love.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I think the male of the species is getting a bit poncey.
All this skin care product baloney, the only reason you buy them is because you are told to by the advertisers.
They are all utter b******s.
Even the women's stuff is b******s, you can't stop the aging process no matter what you rub on it.
You are born, get old and die......................after having spent a small fortune on these ridiculous products.
My Mrs has a cupboard full, if they work so well why does she have to keep changing them, utter tripe.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
:lol: Forgive me, must have been someone else on this thread talking about proper blokes.
No , it was me , it was just you talking about some silly , childish test.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Hyde on the ball. Warning: A women wrote this so it may offend some NSCs.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/08/fa-england-women-tweet

Poor old Football Association. Why is it that misunderstanding dogs them at every turn? Even a heartwarming official tweet welcoming back England’s women’s World Cup squad this week was “taken out of context”. “Our #Lionesses go back to being mothers, partners and daughters today,” it ran, “but they have taken on another title – heroes.”

I’m afraid I shrieked with laughter when I read this. It’s not my favourite piece of gender-boggling WTF-ery this week: that came courtesy of the senior US administration official who told the Daily Beast: “Behind every successful man is a woman – and Isis is no exception.” Despite having read that multiple times now, I’m still no closer to getting my head round all the angles.

More on this topicWomen’s World Cup: England win nation’s support with World Cup bronze

Anyway, I do hope the FA managed to laugh at themselves too. “The most important thing is to be able to laugh at yourself,” Jeffrey Archer once told Dame Edna Everage. “You’d have to do that,” came the deathless reply, “otherwise you’d be missing the joke of the century.”

Alas, indications are that Wembley’s finest minds have yet to get in on the gag. Following the insta-reaction to that unfortunate tweet, the FA issued an immediate statement asserting that it had been taken “out of context”. Without wishing to provide too much context to that remark, I have to remind the FA that football doesn’t generally believe in context. When the comedian Reginald D Hunter did the Professional Footballers’ Association awards a couple of years ago and peppered his turn with the N-word, he kicked off a race row, with Kick It Out issuing a statement declaring it condemns this sort of thing “irrespective of context”. In the end, though, it’s nice not to have to get too worked up about all this. You can always feel when some sort of seismic rebalancing has happened, and England are there now: that happy point where you’re powerful enough to rise above such twattery. It’s the FA who come off worse, and anyone with whom you’d care to spend any time can see it.

In fact, given how splendidly the sport has kicked on over the past few weeks, can we not now live without this whole Lionesses business? For my tastes, it’s all a bit “Simba’s World Cup”. If Australia wish to field a national side called the Socceroos, then that is a matter for them. But it’s hardly as if we need a female analogue for the so-called Three Lions.

Who says “the Three Lions” when they’re talking about England? Honestly: have you ever heard anyone remotely normal refer to “the Three Lions” in conversation unless they were being drippingly sarcastic? It is a classification used by nobody but weedy Nike marketers and prime ministers who dream of Ben Tek popping in the goals for Upton Villa. Indeed, it was once used about the prime minister himself, back when David Cameron, Prince William and David Beckham were judged our best hopes of securing hosting rights to the 2018 World Cup (Bob Hope and No Hope being unavailable).

The England side’s own achievements and the boosted profile of the game mean they really need no other name than England. Unless the “mothers, partners and daughters” bit was the FA laying the ground for the successor to its most famous coinage: Wags. But no. Even by their malarial standards, the MoPeDs would be a horror too far.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does drinking craft beer make you less of a man? Why, just the other night some round our table were enjoying a stout at 12%. I'm not one to judge manliness by what someone like to drink but that's got to be manlier than the traditional "blokes" order of 8 pints of Fosters and a Stella for "Mad Dave"?
Me? ooh, another Campari please love.

12% :wink:

#realmen

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
No , it was me , it was just you talking about some silly , childish test.

:facepalm: that you, going by your comments on this thread (and hundreds of others), judge others by.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
:facepalm: that you, going by your comments on this thread (and hundreds of others), judge others by.
i certainly dont have some silly set criteria , you obviously do.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Thank **** for that. But how do you know if you don't have any criteria?
Ever heard the phrase ''if you've got to ask the question, you wont understand the answer '' ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
No. I have heard the phrase "trying to weasel your way out of a sticky situation" though
Not trying to weasel my way out of anything , there is no ''criteria'' for whether someone is a bloke or not,you either are or you arent, and ive never said there is , its nothing to do with class either, i can imagine prince harry is, whereas youre most definitely in the prince edward category.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not trying to weasel my way out of anything , there is no ''criteria'' for whether someone is a bloke or not,you either are or you arent, and ive never said there is , the fact that you imagine this is the case tells me straight away that youre not.

Sounds like criteria me. What else is on your list?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here